upgrading to a new g5. I need to clone hard drive.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
We have a G4 dual 1g and we're upgrading to a new dual g5.

We need the new g5 to be the exact same computer as the g4 because we are converint that machine into a server.

How do i clone the hard drive that way i don't have to reinstall everything. Is this possible.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ... or you could use the new FireWire disk mode system that Apple is including with the newest setup assistant....
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This has worked great for me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

We have a G4 dual 1g and we're upgrading to a new dual g5.

We need the new g5 to be the exact same computer as the g4 because we are converint that machine into a server.

How do i clone the hard drive that way i don't have to reinstall everything. Is this possible.

Thanks!

This is what I would do:

run a firewire cable between the two machines.

boot up the g4.

boot up the g5 in firewire target mode (hold down the 'T' key)

(see more here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...20401233536141)

Use Disk Utility on the G4 to reformat/partition the hard drive of the G5.

Use Disk Utility to clone the G4 drive to the G5 drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    AllInOne: That is potentially a really bad idea. If Apple has changed any of the hardware on the new computer (ie the hardware is newer than the OS on the old computer), then all you will get is a non-booting computer as Apple needs to add enablers for new hardware to the OS. They are pretty good at making sure that all the enablers for all the hardware currently out is in each new OS version, but they can't do that in advance.

As I said before, all he needs to do is use the new upgrade "wizard" that is shipping with the new computers. This will do all the work for you (unless you have done things outside the Users, Applications, and settings (/etc) folders.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

AllInOne: That is potentially a really bad idea. If Apple has changed any of the hardware on the new computer (ie the hardware is newer than the OS on the old computer), then all you will get is a non-booting computer as Apple needs to add enablers for new hardware to the OS. They are pretty good at making sure that all the enablers for all the hardware currently out is in each new OS version, but they can't do that in advance.

As I said before, all he needs to do is use the new upgrade "wizard" that is shipping with the new computers. This will do all the work for you (unless you have done things outside the Users, Applications, and settings (/etc) folders.

What do you mean outside of users and applicatins and settings.

I'm aware of the target disk mode just wanted to be sure u could clone the hard drive wihtout the system going nuts about the new hardware.

The machine will probably be a dual 2ghz or dual 1.8 so the enablers should be there and copying the HD from the original using either carbon copy cloner or disk utility shouldn't be a problem right?