G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 441 of 492
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    19 days till WWDC.

Looks like new displays and G5 iMacs. 3GHz announced and available in October?

- Jasen.
  • Reply 442 of 492
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    People, do you really still believe there will be new Power Macs in 20 days? The real thing is here, like it or not.
  • Reply 443 of 492
    fat freddyfat freddy Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

People, do you really still believe there will be new Power Macs in 20 days? The real thing is here, like it or not.

20 days...

In September
  • Reply 444 of 492
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fat Freddy

20 days...

In September

I think that if the situation in IBM's side improves substantially, we might well see this 3 GHz Power Mac at the beginning of next year. Otherwise, I am afraid that we will need again this one-year waiting until WWDC 2005. I believe the later is the less probable scenario.
  • Reply 445 of 492
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    WWDC is going to be a software show, as it should be. After all it's a developer's conference. Jobs will concentrate on OS X Tiger, Quicktime, OpenGL, Expose, Airport, Bluetooth, and all those other neat software and hardware technologies. There MAY be a few hardware announcements, but it will be mainly about discussing the various technologies and less about announcements.
  • Reply 446 of 492
    fat freddyfat freddy Posts: 150member
    PB, you're probably right

I'm missing Power Mac 8.1
  • Reply 447 of 492
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Sorry if this has been finally resolved, I'm coming into the thread late.

Is there still any doubt SMU stands for Symmetric Multiprocessing Unit?
  • Reply 448 of 492
    17 DAYS TO WWDC

So harware wise, we may see:

- new displays with new design and new 30" display

- new iMacs - pestimistically G4 1.5Ghz at the top end - optimistically G5 1.6Ghz top end.

- would be nice to see a new Extreme Basestation will the added music feature.

That would pretty much bring all the hardware up to date.
  • Reply 449 of 492
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Proof of that?
  • Reply 450 of 492
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Proof of that?

Nothing, no more than any given article on Power5 in the last year or so.

Old one from last year:

http://www.betanews.com/article/1061943009

<snip>

As a result, each Power 5 chip appears to software applications as a four-way symmetric multiprocessing unit, Joel Tendler, IBM's Director of Technology told BetaNews. Power 5 features enhancements that take advantage of, as well as supplement, having two instruction streams on a single processor.

</snip>

Just seemed to me a given that SMU referred to "symmetric multiprocessing unit".

That and the odd-number thing seems to me to mean G5 iMac. (Plus we do need something special for the 20th anniversary).

But I'm an optimist.
  • Reply 451 of 492
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

19 days till WWDC.

Looks like new displays and G5 iMacs. 3GHz announced and available in October?

- Jasen.

Why would Steve-O announce new displays without a new box to accompany them, particularly at the WWDC? Seems kinda off beat to me, particularly for a "tada" merchant like Mr. Jobs. Either the displays get announced before or after WWDC without other fanfare, or something BIG is announced.
  • Reply 452 of 492
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Sorry if this has been finally resolved, I'm coming into the thread late.

Here's a theory:

Neo is the code name for Apple's Remote Desktop, according to this ThinkSecret report. This is Remote Desktop 2, hence, Neo2.

SMU stands for System Management Utility.

This got put in 10.3.4 in order to provide compatibility with this new version of Remote Desktop, which will require 10.3.4.

I know, not as nice as a 975 or a new video iPod or something, but there's my guess.
  • Reply 453 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Here's a theory:

Neo is the code name for Apple's Remote Desktop, according to this ThinkSecret report. This is Remote Desktop 2, hence, Neo2.

SMU stands for System Management Utility.

This got put in 10.3.4 in order to provide compatibility with this new version of Remote Desktop, which will require 10.3.4.

I know, not as nice as a 975 or a new video iPod or something, but there's my guess.

Not sure if Neo is referring to that though - it is a part of the IOPlatformPluginTable.

Doing some digging brought me to this (first one?) AppleInsider article which I think was the first to reference the PowerMac8,1 machine code.

To quote some of it: "The Power Mac 8,1 system controller will be called U3 revision II, sources said, and will add support for 533 DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a Front Side Bus of up to 1.5Ghz. The Power Mac 8,1 will also sport an ASIC controller built using the 90nm technology."

The system controller part intrigues me most as it nearly matches SMU_Neo2 <--->U3 Rev2

So does SMU mean System Management Unit (as in System Controller) and Neo2 is just Rev 2? Seems that would be more along the lines of supporting an IBM CPU and not a Freescale one, unless Freescale was really pumping things along at Crolles. God only knows, and Steve probably has him/her under NDA too!
  • Reply 454 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not sure if Neo is referring to that though - it is a part of the IOPlatformPluginTable.

Doing some digging brought me to this (first one?) AppleInsider article which I think was the first to reference the PowerMac8,1 machine code.

To quote some of it: "The Power Mac 8,1 system controller will be called U3 revision II, sources said, and will add support for 533 DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a Front Side Bus of up to 1.5Ghz. The Power Mac 8,1 will also sport an ASIC controller built using the 90nm technology."

1.5GHz FSB?!? that doesn't sound like an iMac to me ...

-John
  • Reply 455 of 492
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Neo is apparently the code name for ARD 2.0
  • Reply 456 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by bangstudios

1.5GHz FSB?!? that doesn't sound like an iMac to me ...

-John

It's not an iMac. It's a PowerMac... most likely the next revision of the PowerMac motherboard with HyperTransport 2.0. It would make sense that it would have DDR II. I don't know how some people started thinking it's an iMac. It says right there PowerMac 8,1.
  • Reply 457 of 492
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

It's not an iMac. It's a PowerMac... most likely the next revision of the PowerMac motherboard with HyperTransport 2.0. It would make sense that it would have DDR II. I don't know how some people started thinking it's an iMac. It says right there PowerMac 8,1.

People thought it was an iMac because previous iMacs were detailed as PowerMacs.

And did anyone else read the rest of that rumor that was posted here at AI on Nov 19 2003?

Quote:

The second generation Power Mac G5 units will make an appearance by early March of next year, according to a rather detailed report submitted to AppleInsider. The 'Power Mac 8,1', as sources call it, will see an introduction shortly after IBM unveils the 90nm G5 at the International Solid State Circuit conference in February.

The 90nm G5 reportedly contains a feature called 'Power Tune' which allows for rapid frequency and power scaling, and features electronic fusing. The Power Mac 8,1 system controller will be called U3 revision II, sources said, and will add support for 533 DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a Front Side Bus of up to 1.5Ghz. The Power Mac 8,1 will also sport an ASIC controller built using the 90nm technology.

A previous report suggested the appearance of dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5 models sometime in January. According to new information, these units would either be built around the current architecture and 130nm G5 process or simply appear in March as part of the architecturally revamped second generation Power Mac G5.

Sure the timetable is off, but still, the report had a mention of the dual 2.5Ghz machine.

Maybe there is hope still.
  • Reply 458 of 492
    Quote:

I thought some of the iMacs were designated as "PowerMac" in the machine descriptors, though -- thus the assumption.

I'm going to "go out on a limb" and say that 8,1 is a 975 (or whatever the dual/multicore CPU is to be named) - based machine. Hope springs eternal? Perhaps, but it's REALLY starting to look that way.

Edit: I'll go further, and predict that there will be a "hardware preview" at WWDC demonstrating an early prototype of such a beast, running at 3 GHz. I don't believe a release date will be discussed, but it will allow Jobs to save face (somewhat).

-John
  • Reply 459 of 492
    Ok, after some crack and research , I decided to take a stab:

"A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin..."

Trinity = Cube

Pie = ApplePI (Processor Interconnect)

Dolphin = pen drawing tablets

So to sum it up, a specialty computer will arrive (like the Cube did back in 2000) but will get a faster bus (ApplePI), but will be larger than the Dolphin tablets (6" x 4.5")

Let's continue...

"El Capitan's hamartia shall lead to Trinity's return and its rise to the throne, Its little brother shall rule in the great desert where the dolphins roam."

El Capitan=PowerMac case (G3 B&W and G4)

Great desert where the dolphins roam=tablet PC arena

Summing, El Capitan's hamartia (demise) just happened with Apple discontinuing the PowerMac G4. "It's little brother" refers to the product in question - Trinity's little brother. It will rule in the tablet pc realm.

"The filling shall reveal a crust made from the Rosetta Stone."

Rosetta=codename for Newton 2.0 handwriting recognition (currently Inkwell)

Crust=the outer shell, meaning a touch sensitive screen.

"When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie in the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the agile Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return."

Artemis=codename for the beige G3 all-in-one, so the first successor was the iMac CRT, the second was the iMac FP, so the new iMac is the third successor to Artemis.

Artemis twin=iBook

Mercury=codename for PowerBook G4

Goldfish=codename for PowerPC G5

This product will be introduced when, the iBook and PowerBook will still be at G4, until they both go to the G5. Not quite sure of the timelines here, but I think that is the gist of it.

This sure sounds like the suspended Tablet PC/DeskNote project from last year.

If that is the case, this could be what Digitimes was predicting last year.

Or what The Register was claiming 3 years ago.
  • Reply 460 of 492
    Quote:

Leonard, Leonard, Leonard....all iMacs and eMacs also use the PowerMac machine code and they use the EVEN NUMBERED (as in 8,1) codes!