Crossfade on itunes w/o waiting for end of song??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am planning on using my powerbook during my wedding next week but I can't find a way to crossfade songs without having to wait for each song to end. The normal crossfade feature on iTunes works well under most occasions, but if I only want to listen to a minute or two of a song and then switch there is an aburpt end to the song instead of a smooth transition.

Is there a plugin or download available that will add this feature to itunes? I have searched the threads here on AI, and checked the web, but I haven't found a real answer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    If you know ahead of time where you want the track to end, try this:

Get Info on the track and go to the Options tab. Change the Stop Time to when you now want the track to end.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ooh.. this would be a great feature in an updated Party Shuffle... if you're getting tired of the song you're playing, skip to the next track, it crossfades between them. better yet.. make it work throughout iTunes by using the Option key while selecting a track to play or just skipping to the next track.

i'm off to send Apple some feedback..
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Yep... iTunes needs this feature AND a way to do voice-overs (ya know...DJ stuff) and yes i'm aware that there are a few packages that will do this but the better ones cost $$$s and have a pretty confusing interface.

And while were at it hows about being able to project or display the screen effects for each song with your own personal message included (typed and displayed in real time) for parties etc..
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    I have a quick and dirty fade out/fade in applescript. It'll fade out the current song, go to the next track, and fade back in to the previous volume. Send me a PM and I'll send the URL. I think if you put it in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts it'll be available in a menu.

If you want to do a voice over, just have the Sound app or GarageBand or something running, and turn on the mike.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    thanks Endymion. I tried what you suggested but it doens't work for me. The song keeps on playing...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Code:

tell application "iTunes"

set i to the sound volume

set currentVolume to the sound volume

repeat until i = 0

set i to i - 1

set the sound volume to i

end repeat

next track

repeat until i = currentVolume

set i to i + 1

end repeat

end tell

• Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xinelo View Post

thanks Endymion. I tried what you suggested but it doens't work for me. The song keeps on playing...

You can't do it while the song is playing. You have to do it before the file starts.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchwojko View Post

Code:

repeat until i = 0

set i to i - 1

end repeat

next track

set i to i + 1

end repeat

end tell

Thanks for this. I've never written or used one of this scripts, could you help me on what I must do with these lines of code? Thanks!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Thanks for this. I've never written or used one of this scripts, could you help me on what I must do with these lines of code? Thanks!!

Sorry, bon't bother about my last post. I've seen there are many tutorials on applescripts on the web, so let me try first. It shouldn't be too difficult!!

Thanks, xinelo
  • Reply 10 of 13
    musiq021musiq021 Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Sorry, bon't bother about my last post. I've seen there are many tutorials on applescripts on the web, so let me try first. It shouldn't be too difficult!!

Thanks, xinelo

If the fading script above doesn't do the trick for you, i made an applescript then when called, crossfades between the current and next song immediately. The only catch is that, due to limitations with itunes and applescript, there is a minor (depending on your system's performance) pause, but the crossfade does take place:

Code:

-- Fades the current song into the next song, with a slight audio gap, but, it's the only script in existence. In order for this to work, you must have crossfading turned on in iTunes (playback) preferences, and set to the longest duration (12 secs) -Simeon Dorsey

set wait_before_revert to 12 as number

if player state is playing then

set thetrack to current track

set orig_trackstop to (finish of thetrack)

set cur_tracktime to player position

set new_trackstop to cur_tracktime + (wait_before_revert - 1)

if new_trackstop is not greater than orig_trackstop then

set finish of thetrack to new_trackstop

stop

play thetrack

set player position to cur_tracktime + 1

delay wait_before_revert - 5

set finish of thetrack to orig_trackstop

end if

else

display dialog "Can't fade, iTunes is " & player state & "."

end if

end tell

• Reply 11 of 13
    camf111camf111 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by musiq021 View Post

If the fading script above doesn't do the trick for you, i made an applescript then when called, crossfades between the current and next song immediately. The only catch is that, due to limitations with itunes and applescript, there is a minor (depending on your system's performance) pause, but the crossfade does take place:

Code:

-- Fades the current song into the next song, with a slight audio gap, but, it's the only script in existence. In order for this to work, you must have crossfading turned on in iTunes (playback) preferences, and set to the longest duration (12 secs) -Simeon Dorsey

set wait_before_revert to 12 as number

if player state is playing then

set thetrack to current track

set orig_trackstop to (finish of thetrack)

set cur_tracktime to player position

set new_trackstop to cur_tracktime + (wait_before_revert - 1)

if new_trackstop is not greater than orig_trackstop then

set finish of thetrack to new_trackstop

stop

play thetrack

set player position to cur_tracktime + 1

delay wait_before_revert - 5

set finish of thetrack to orig_trackstop

end if

else

display dialog "Can't fade, iTunes is " & player state & "."

end if

end tell

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tchwojko View Post

Code:

repeat until i = 0

set i to i - 1

end repeat

next track

set i to i + 1

end repeat

end tell

Is there anyway to use these codes on windows?
  • Reply 12 of 13

Hi

can I copy and paste these codes somewhere to try out this crossfader function?

• Reply 13 of 13

Yes, could I please have a step by step guide how to instal these codes to make crossfade work on my macbook itunes. Thanks a ton to whoever explains it.:)