It's time to clockwork orange Steve

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Put him in a straight jacket, strap him to a chair with his eyes taped open, and make him watch TV until he likes it.

Then, maybe, he will put video out on the Next Airport Express.

Maybe he's just waiting for the HDTV revolution, so he could put firewire on that little puppy to stream compressed HD wirelessly to the HAVi enabled receivers, but I doubt it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Apple has nothing established in video the way iTunes is for music. They don't have a mature consumer solution. SO throwing video into the Airport Express would be a waste. It would over-complicate the device.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Change your thread title, and try again.

This should be locked your title has nothing to do with hardware, and it looks like a general discussion topic.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This should be locked your title has nothing to do with hardware, and it looks like a general discussion topic.

Yeah, new title and move to digital hub or general discussion (depends upon how strong the authors desire is to tie Steve up )
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Um, I'm proposing a modification to an existing piece of hardware, maybe to occur sometime in the future. Let's see.... future.... hardware.... what forum should I put it in?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Apple has nothing established in video the way iTunes is for music. They don't have a mature consumer solution. SO throwing video into the Airport Express would be a waste. It would over-complicate the device.

I would kinda agree with you that they are really dropping the ball on this aspect of the digital hub. Apple was going full bore on digital vid until they realized they could capitalize on the ripping market. But they are now in danger of missing out on the future of video.

Just as mp3 music sharing demonstrated a desire from users to use there music (and others) in new and exciting ways, so it will be with digital video. I can see the development of distributed PVRs in which users together archive entire channels of content. People using netflix will want the ability to timeshift their DVD viewing by downloading them to their computer. And then the possibility of an iTV store for on demand video, or an apple channel. Drool.

For that matter they are overlooking telephony as well (as for making the mac the digital hub).
  • Reply 6 of 25
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nordstrodamus

I would kinda agree with you that they are really dropping the ball on this aspect of the digital hub. Apple was going full bore on digital vid until they realized they could capitalize on the ripping market. But they are now in danger of missing out on the future of video.

Please don't put words in mouth. My comments were not a critique of Apple. I was just stating the facts. Don't assume I am coming form the same mind-set as you, just because I posted in your thread. I do NOT think Apple has dropped the ball on the video aspect of the digital hub.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Please don't put words in mouth. My comments were not a critique of Apple. I was just stating the facts. Don't assume I am coming form the same mind-set as you, just because I posted in your thread. I do NOT think Apple has dropped the ball on the video aspect of the digital hub.

Whoa, jeez, that kind of rebuke is usually reserved for AppleOutsider level discussions about really important stuff like religion, war, politics, abortion, etc... We are talking about a friggin piece of hardware here, but if I touched some sort of nerve of yours I apologize.

That said, if I can ask without stepping on your toes, how you can possibly think Apple has lived up to the promise of the digital hub without accomodating TV? It is THE most predominant media in our lives and how exactly does apple help us deal with it?
  • Reply 8 of 25
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Put him in a straight jacket, strap him to a chair with his eye's taped open

With his eye's what taped open?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

With his eye's what taped open?

Ugh, the grammar police. Corrected...
  • Reply 10 of 25
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "eye's" or eyes?!

I like what Robert Cringley had to say about Jobs' position on TV and the digital hub:

Quote:

Apple Computer has been decidedly absent from the tablet game. In part, this has to do with the failure of the Newton, which will always be associated in the mind of Steve Jobs with his former friend and nemesis John Sculley. "Real computers have keyboards," Steve has said a zillion times, and he'll mean it right up to the moment he changes his mind.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20031127.htmL
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Leave Steve alone. He has your best intrests at heart.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    MPEG-4 would greatly have to take off. Their own version of it isn't helping anyone out too greatly, except quicktime users.

Though, this version of MPEG-4 seems to be the most popular, and is playable in WMPlayer...so maybe that could be a standard.

The added problem of that is that the Airport Express A/V would have to actually be able to decode and play this. I would imagine a release of this only after the iPod has it first.

-'loo.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    For better or for worse (and because we want more traffic there ) speculation about future digital hub stuff goes in Digital Hub.

On topic: Video is far more bandwidth intensive than audio, and stereos at all price levels are far more likely than televisions to have inputs. Nowhere has Steve said he hates TV; all he's said is that, as it stands now, TV and PCs are too different to merge.

Moving...
  • Reply 14 of 25
    What's the actual throughput of AirPort/Extreme? I know 11/54Mbps but with the all the headers and encapsulation. It should be similar if not the same as ethernet.

Anyway, I ripped a good many of my DVDs to my external HD. At anywhere from 1700 - 2048kbps, and they look pretty good. Add onto that stereo audio and you're pushing 3Mbps, which I am thinking is a bit too much for regular AirPort (especially if you account for interference). Extreme should be able to handle that kinda of data easily.

Let's say about 20% of max which gets to around 10Mbps. Apple Lossless probably maxes at around 1Mbps (stereo) we can add 3.1 more channels at 2Mbps. Which leaves us 7Mbps for the video, which I think is a bit much.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

People using netflix will want the ability to timeshift their DVD viewing by downloading them to their computer.

Why do you have to copy a DVD to your computer timeshift the viewing? Last I heard, you could still push play/pause on your DVD player whenever you wanted.

Netflix and TiVo should merge to create the ultimate VOD solution. Time-shift regular TV, and have a huge library of movies available to download to your TiVo on demand. Just like the current Netflix structure, you'd be allowed to keep 3 movies on your DVR at a time for as long as you want, but have to delete one to get the next movie in your queue.

(I just ask for a 1% finder's fee on the value of that merger!)
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

Why do you have to copy a DVD to your computer timeshift the viewing? Last I heard, you could still push play/pause on your DVD player whenever you wanted.

Time shift as in copy the DVD to your computer, put the original in the mail so you can get your next one quicker.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    To "clockwork orange" someone, to me, has always meant to kick and beat someone with canes while they are down.

I'm much relieved that you merely want him to like TV
  • Reply 18 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    As Amorph points out. Video is bandwidth intensive. Video will be more prevalent as the file sizes drop but quality stays.

Apple is very strong in video. Quicktime forms a strong basis and will only get better. Trickle down will come to iLife. However all this new fangled video stuff requires some number crunching.

Apple should be looking at how to best get TVs and computers talking together. Jobs is wrong about computers and tvs difficulty in merging. HDTV is the merging of televisions and digital powered by computers.

I should be able to switch my TV from watching CSI Vegas to sufing on the internet just by hitting an aux in on my TV.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple should be looking at how to best get TVs and computers talking together. Jobs is wrong about computers and tvs difficulty in merging. HDTV is the merging of televisions and digital powered by computers.

Exactly! El Gato obviously got it working as have several PC solutions and even my replaytv can do the opposite trick (TV to computer) just fine (and that's over 802.11b). HDTV even makes it simpler in some respects in that an Airport Extreme solution wouldn't even have to decode the signal, just send it into the receiver via firewire.

Also, these big HDTVs with beautiful resolution are just begging for computer input. Apple is positioning itself to be a follower, not a leader.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

To "clockwork orange" someone, to me, has always meant to kick and beat someone with canes while they are down.

While singing "Singing in the Rain."

Here's an interview with Jobs where he talks about TV:

Quote:

Q: Do you have any other thoughts about where your competitors are taking their strategies? For example, Windows Media PCs are computers attached to TV sets.

Jobs: Well, we've always been very clear on that. We don't think that televisions and personal computers are going to merge. We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on.

Q: Are there some complementary aspects to it?

Jobs: Well, they want to link sometimes. Like, when you make a movie, you burn a DVD and you take it to your DVD player. Someday that could happen over AirPort, so you don't have to burn a DVD -- you can just watch it right off your computer on your television set. But most of these products that have said, "Let's combine the television and the computer!? have failed. All of them have failed.

Q: I don't understand why you'd want to mouse around on your TV set.

Jobs: The problem is, when you're using your computer you're a foot away from it, you know? When you're using your television you want to be ten feet away from it. So they're really different animals.