G5 Trinity @ WWDC

Comments

• Reply 461 of 492
    bootsboots Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Neo is apparently the code name for ARD 2.0

Neo was an Apple codename for the PPC970 processor, it was in plain view in the About-This-Mac dialog boxes on the WWDC 2003 G5 demo machines. If it's being re-used for screen sharing software, well, LOL.

Seeing Neo2 in a plist string having to do with hardware sure makes me think it's a Neo followon (970fx) or next generation (aka 975).
  • Reply 462 of 492
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Ok, after some crack and research , I decided to take a stab:

"A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin..."

Trinity = Cube

Pie = ApplePI (Processor Interconnect)

Dolphin = pen drawing tablets

So to sum it up, a specialty computer will arrive (like the Cube did back in 2000) but will get a faster bus (ApplePI), but will be larger than the Dolphin tablets (6" x 4.5")

Let's continue...

"El Capitan's hamartia shall lead to Trinity's return and its rise to the throne, Its little brother shall rule in the great desert where the dolphins roam."

El Capitan=PowerMac case (G3 B&W and G4)

Great desert where the dolphins roam=tablet PC arena

Summing, El Capitan's hamartia (demise) just happened with Apple discontinuing the PowerMac G4. "It's little brother" refers to the product in question - Trinity's little brother. It will rule in the tablet pc realm.

"The filling shall reveal a crust made from the Rosetta Stone."

Rosetta=codename for Newton 2.0 handwriting recognition (currently Inkwell)

Crust=the outer shell, meaning a touch sensitive screen.

"When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie in the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the agile Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return."

Artemis=codename for the beige G3 all-in-one, so the first successor was the iMac CRT, the second was the iMac FP, so the new iMac is the third successor to Artemis.

Artemis twin=iBook

Mercury=codename for PowerBook G4

Goldfish=codename for PowerPC G5

This product will be introduced when, the iBook and PowerBook will still be at G4, until they both go to the G5. Not quite sure of the timelines here, but I think that is the gist of it.

This sure sounds like the suspended Tablet PC/DeskNote project from last year.

If that is the case, this could be what Digitimes was predicting last year.

Or what The Register was claiming 3 years ago.

keep in mind that 'dolphin' was the much publicized codename for the IBM/Nintendo cpu for the game cube. it was quite unique in its design (and the way in which it was designed.) I always believed that was the root of the dolphin reference . basically, a new cube with new bus, and maybe multi-core cpu based on a lot of the stuff they learned doing dolphin. like matching cache and optimizing at every level. who knows?
  • Reply 463 of 492
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fresco

tfworld, whats up?

Yeah I'm curious too. These speedbumped Power Macs supposed to blow us away? \
  • Reply 464 of 492
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

...These speedbumped Power Macs supposed to blow us away? \

No, hence the more or less silent update. No press conference no event, not announced at WWDC or Macworld.
  • Reply 465 of 492
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Not sure if Neo is referring to that though - it is a part of the IOPlatformPluginTable.

Yeah, you're probably right, it does sound like a new machine rather than ADR 2.0.
  • Reply 466 of 492
    tad44tad44 Posts: 13member
    If you got a new PowerMac G5, please let us know the model name in device-tree.

You can use ioreg command to know the model name.

In Terminal:

% ioreg|more

+-o Root <class IORegistryEntry, retain count 11>

+-o PowerMac6,1 <class IOPlatformExpertDevice, registered, matched, active, $

I'm expecting Dual 1.8/2.0 are still PowerMac7,2.

Only Dual 2.5 (which got 950FX) is PowerMac7,3.

Then we can still hope PowerMac8,1 to be iMacG5 or something new.
  • Reply 467 of 492
    Quote:

Leonard, Leonard, Leonard....all iMacs and eMacs also use the PowerMac machine code and they use the EVEN NUMBERED (as in 8,1) codes!

If there was an all-new Powermac available at Apple, they would have coded it 9,1? I'm not sure... I think that when a new machine design is ready, the engineers pick up the following unused code number, and that's it! And since Apple always repeats the same scheme (Pro-Consumer-Pro-Consumer...), all the consumer Macs end up even numbered and the pro Macs, odd numbered.

That's my opinion. However, 8,1 being a new Powermac is pretty unlikely, that's for sure!
  • Reply 468 of 492
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Does anyone know if the dual 2 and dual 1.8 are 970fx? Do you know if they are water cooled? From what I've been reading they aren't... so basically the 2ghz is unchanged except for graphics card?
  • Reply 469 of 492
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Does anyone know if the dual 2 and dual 1.8 are 970fx? Do you know if they are water cooled? From what I've been reading they aren't... so basically the 2ghz is unchanged except for graphics card?

And the price.
  • Reply 470 of 492
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Everything you say is correct. The 1.8 and 2.0 duals use the 970, only the 2.5 dual uses the 970fx (and water cooling). The video remains basically unchanged except for a memory bump on the ATI cards. They did upgrade from a 4x Superdrive to an 8x drive across the board also.
  • Reply 471 of 492
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    14 Days to WWDC

That's just 2 weeks!!

That water cooling unit on the first page looks...ummmm... cool. Can't wait till I get my dual G5 2.5 and see this setup up close.
  • Reply 472 of 492
    Quote:

Everything you say is correct. The 1.8 and 2.0 duals use the 970, only the 2.5 dual uses the 970fx (and water cooling). The video remains basically unchanged except for a memory bump on the ATI cards. They did upgrade from a 4x Superdrive to an 8x drive across the board also.

What about the powersupply problems they were having with the Rev A's... did they fix those issues?
  • Reply 473 of 492
    Quote:

What about the powersupply problems they were having with the Rev A's... did they fix those issues?

I do not know about those. What problems are you referring to? I just got the specs and noted the changes, but unfortunately, no one has a Rev B yet, so ????
  • Reply 474 of 492
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

I do not know about those. What problems are you referring to? I just got the specs and noted the changes, but unfortunately, no one has a Rev B yet, so ????

The problems mostly (only?) manifested themselves as excessive noise and beeps and such in the audio system. I think some wire somewhere was just picking up power fluctuations. Does anyone here know if it was all audio or just the built-in variety?
  • Reply 475 of 492
    I thought the PowerSupply was also causing the fans to spin out of control on dual machines...
  • Reply 476 of 492
    Quote:

I thought the PowerSupply was also causing the fans to spin out of control on dual machines...

I know the MDD (Windtunnel) PowerMac G4s had this with Apple offering a power supply exchange. Didn't know that affected the G5.
  • Reply 477 of 492
    Quote:

I know the MDD (Windtunnel) PowerMac G4s had this with Apple offering a power supply exchange. Didn't know that affected the G5.

You could be right... I might just not remember correctly.
  • Reply 478 of 492
    Quote:

You could be right... I might just not remember correctly.

And if you think the G5s are loud, whew.....they didn't get the nickname WindTunnel for nothing. Those were real loud.
  • Reply 479 of 492
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    They are very loud, the only thing I hate about my mac, it's sometimes unbearable.
  • Reply 480 of 492
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    10 Days to WWDC