WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 41 of 436
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Things I would like to see from Apple:

IPHONE: Mobile phone that seamless switches from local wifi network to cell based networks so calls will be super cheap from home

APPLE must have an answer to the 500+ Million Cellphones sold.... even a cheap ipod is still a drop in the bucket compared to that as far as sales....

VJ App: Based on motions realtime engine.

Simplified Logic: To compete with Protools Elegance with the power of Lives realtime abilities

Mac grid: Perhaps you get free songs for joining the grid+all future devices... cams or set top boxes add to the grid power.... similar to sony's cell

HDCAM- for $5000 or less

iPod: With professional quality audio recording... atleast 44.1/16 if not higher... plus this would be great for students recording lectures

OLED: Bring it

Tablet convertible notebook: when the cost gets to be only $100 difference.... also so I can spin the screen around to watch movies without seeing the keyboard

Word Killer: Either make it super native so it takes advantage of OS X or.... Make it for windows and Linux! Either charge less then Office or..... Open source it and give it away free.... microsoft would loose it's biggest revenue source...

Program to build web pages.... or Buy macromedia and get control of flash as well....

ok that's all for now

also interesting thought soon apple maybe be #1 in networking with there new basestation

#1 in music portables with ipod

#1 in screen sales with future LCD???

#1 in broadcast codec with quicktime?

lots of potentionial momentum
  • Reply 42 of 436
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

Then the question is, What the hell is all of this to Apple's future?

1) Do you know what OS is been used by iPOD ?

2) Do you know what OS is been used by your TV or Stereo ?

3) Do you know what OS is been used by your Tivo and DVD Player?

If you don't, Do you care at all that is not M$ product and it's OS is not compatible with other M$ Window directly as .NET?

This WWDC is the announcement of Big change of APPLE Product line and Steve will show first class of such a product.

And apple will introduce their plan for the future that all developer can follow the apple's way.

It will be 10.4 Tiger and much larger market.

Let's think about it. And Let's talk about it, if you wish.

Guess --> QuickTime 7 as OS
  • Reply 43 of 436
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    iPod = Pixo OS for the ARM line of CPUs

TiVo = PPC Linux (variant) for whatever PPC TiVo is currently using

Stereo = None just DACs and other ICs no CPU

DVD Player = ????

What's that all mean? I have no idea...

Edit,,

Interesting aside that I ether forgot about (the mind is the 1st thing to go) or don't ever remember reading. Sun acquired Pixo (and Pixo OS) last summer!

Linky: http://www.sys-con.com/java/articlea.cfm?id=2127

Dave
  • Reply 44 of 436
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I thought we crucified him at NAB. He has risen! He has risen!

I?m also guessing Quicktime is finally going to become an OS. I?m thinking this is the OS Apple will license... for everything:

--> cell phone/PDA

--> stereo

--> TV

--> HDTV

--> PVR

--> Camera

--> DVD Players

--> Digital Cable

--> Everything

2004- The year it all comes together.

• Reply 45 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    QuickTime as an OS? This thread is getting more and more funny. How many existing companies will ditch their Linux and other OSes to use QuickTime? Most don't even support QuickTime as media format, not to mentioned lower level.
  • Reply 46 of 436
    occamoccam Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Interesting aside that I ether forgot about (the mind is the 1st thing to go) or don't ever remember reading. Sun acquired Pixo (and Pixo OS) last summer!

Linky: http://www.sys-con.com/java/articlea.cfm?id=2127

Interesting! Sun's Pixo OS runs Apple's iPod!

[QUOTE]Sun Software executive vice president Jonathan Schwartz

Quote:

Pixo is now an integral part of the Sun Software organization under executive vice president Jonathan Schwartz. Pixo's products and technologies will be integrated into Sun's Java technology strategy, and will be offered in conjunction with other mobility programs from Sun.

Interesting! Pixo and Java are on a convergence course!

Hmm, Sun's JavaOne and Apple's WWDC would be prime candidates for any revelations on this convergence course.

I wonder what (if any) Pixo or Java anncouncements Sun will make about this at JavaOne 2004?

I wonder what (if any) DRM or Java anncouncements Apple will make about this at WWDC 2004?

Hmm, JavaOne and WWDC both opening Monday, June 28, 2004 at Moscone Center, SF, CA, i.e., in just over two weeks.

Are Java, Pixo, and iPod the dots that connect some special announcements at these suspiciously co-scheduled conferences?

Thoughts?
  • Reply 47 of 436
    I found it rather strange. I have been to JavaOne a few times, and they occupied the whole Moscone Center! How is it possible to squeeze in a WWDC?

And, the next generation of Java 1.5 is codename Tiger, the same as OS X 10.4.

Oh I see. OS X 10.4 is Java 1.5. That explains everything.

Quote:

Originally posted by occam

Hmm, JavaOne and WWDC both opening Monday, June 28, 2004 at Moscone Center, SF, CA, i.e., in just over two weeks.

Are Java, Pixo, and iPod the dots that connect some special announcements at these suspiciously co-scheduled conferences?

Thoughts? [/B]

• Reply 48 of 436
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    NOt sure of Quicktime as an OS, but, it can serve, I think, as a front-end for an os, right? It has basic browsing capabilities from withinthe window... (If I recall, wasn't there a demo movie of a pond, and if you clicked on it wherever you clicked there was a ripple).

Basically, if somehow qt was integrated with the file-structure on a disk, it could serve as a gui for an os, is my (sleepy) thought.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 49 of 436
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    What if Pixo can do to QT - mp4's - what it did to mp3's? QT would probably have to have some sort of DRM situation for downloads, but it already does a good job of secure streams. How much of an OS does it take to have QT running? Something simple and unix-like, I bet!!

Steve has already approved devices without the Mac OS, so that isn't a problem...just make sure they aren't confused with the computer and he's fine with periferals. I'll bet there is an Apple "lossless video" codec in development right now and in the next year if it goes for a patent... 8)
  • Reply 50 of 436
    Quote:

I'll bet there is an Apple "lossless video" codec in development right now and in the next year if it goes for a patent... 8) [/B]

It won't need to be lossless (way too big) but can be very good. And you already have it, it is called Pixlet.
  • Reply 51 of 436
    Every single OS out there has a front end (if it does not have, then it does not need one). Apple is not going to have an easy time asking them to implement QuickTime on top of the OS, and replace the front end.

And there isn't a QuickTime for Linux, which most embedded device use.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

NOt sure of Quicktime as an OS, but, it can serve, I think, as a front-end for an os, right? It has basic browsing capabilities from withinthe window... (If I recall, wasn't there a demo movie of a pond, and if you clicked on it wherever you clicked there was a ripple).

• Reply 52 of 436
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by limtc

QuickTime as an OS? This thread is getting more and more funny. How many existing companies will ditch their Linux and other OSes to use QuickTime? Most don't even support QuickTime as media format, not to mentioned lower level.

Me thinks a heretic and blasphemer has infiltrated the Church of the Kormac. I cannot say with certainty that the Quicktime OS shall come to pass. I was just attempting to interpret the gospel as written by Kormac. Or, more correctly, I ran it through the Babelfish mock-Korean translator and this was what I got.
  • Reply 53 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Me thinks a heretic and blasphemer has infiltrated the Church of the Kormac. I cannot say with certainty that the Quicktime OS shall come to pass. I was just attempting to interpret the gospel as written by Kormac. Or, more correctly, I ran it through the Babelfish mock-Korean translator and this was what I got.

I see, that explains.

But I like his last idea which seems to suggest iPod 60GB might use Tiger as the OS (but why? Unless you put in at least 800x600 screen in iPod).
  • Reply 54 of 436
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd personally like to see an Xserve with only one hard drive to make room for four processors. With the Xserve RAID, it's more and more unlikely that you'll use Xserves for storage, so why not devote the Xserves for processing, and the RAIDs for storage?
  • Reply 55 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Actually I reread his post, he makes it quite clear: It will be 10.4 Tiger and much larger market.

This one does make sense a little more, although he is suggesting that Tiger will go towards embedded market. Something that Linux or Simbian OS has a much bigger stronghold, which I heavily doubt Apple would succeed.
  • Reply 56 of 436
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by limtc

It won't need to be lossless (way too big) but can be very good. And you already have it, it is called Pixlet.

Well maybe that is good enough, but I'm thinking of lossless 800xwhatever from computer to TV ('a la Airport Express), not near-HD.

There is no way Tiger will be an OS for a periferal, it is dependent upon QExtreme and graphics cards doing the work.

also why hasn't QT gone to Linux?!?!?
  • Reply 57 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quartz Extreme is an optional item - if the hardware doesn't support it, it falls back to a lesser user experience. (Ie, it simply doesn't do the massive eye candy, and does something simpler.)

The QuickTime file format is openly documented, and many Linux players are available. What most people are actually griping about when they say that Linux doesn't have QuickTime support is the lack of proprietary codecs, such as Sorenson.

Problem is, they aren't Apple's to release. Apple licenses them from Sorenson, and that company has been extremely reluctant to port them to Linux, probably for fear of open source licensing issues. Dunno what the real reason is, just that my little birdies have indicated to me that Sorenson is the block, not Apple.

I would like to see Apple release a QuickTime-Lite for Linux that supports the format and such, but with more open codecs and plugins. Perhaps the move towards MPEG-4 official codecs will help this.
  • Reply 58 of 436
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    kormac, where did u go? things were starting to get interesting again....
  • Reply 59 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Hello. I am back.

I was quiet busy for a while.

Let's start with the importance of This WWDC.

First, this year is 20th anniversary of first Mac.

For Apple, this will be big meaning and Apple is planning for the change. 8)

Second, the concept of PC has been changed and Apple was actually leading the new way of Computing.

Last, Apple is planing to go much wider market than limited PC market.

In this WWDC, APPLE will announce the change of APPLE Computer to the whole world and provide information of this new technology to the developer.

The change will be not happen at once. It will take at least 2 years and this year is THE FIRST YEAR for the change.

• Reply 60 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    The steve's Keynote will be summary of the change.

I think the Keynote will have following step.

1) Introduction of upcoming 10.4 and New component in this OS.

This change will effect in Professinal Mac and Content business.

And it is including New QuickTime7.

2) Intoroduction of NEW iMac G5 as a new step for the future of Consumer Mac line.

3) Finally, the New market which APPLE will be creating begining of this year and He will announce new class of Products.

Let's check with items above with more detail.

And ,again, this is not inside information and I never signed NDA from APPLE.