3 Things You Want Added to Each Product Line

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
alright, iBooks and Powerbooks just got updated and powermacs are sort of recent... iMac is old but anyways.... what three things do you want added to each line.... besides increased clockspeed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    iBook

1. Standard display spanning

2. 13 inch screen in same size case as 12.1

3. G4 + faster bus

Powerbook

1. New Bus (167 or DDR with G4 that supports it)

2. Faster Superdrive

3. New battery technology (time to take a leap... current technology is old)

iMac

1. 17 inch cheaper and sturdier

2. Geforce 4 Ti whatever with 64MB

3. Better sound system (perhaps 4.1)

PowerMac

1. Up to date motherboard: USB 2, FW 2, ATA/133

2. New processor... G4++, G5, 970, whatever

3. New case that is a bit more um... daring than a reskinned minitower

Xserve

1. Faster bus (167)

2. Even Cheaper

3. Larger capacity hard drives

Displays

1. 18 or 19 inch wide screen

2. 17 inch widescreen

3. $699, $1299, $1999, and $2799 pricepoints for 17, 18/19, 22, 23

eMac

1. Even Cheaper

2. Bundle with stand

3. Geforce 4MX graphics

iMac Classic

1. Even Cheaper!!!

2. New G3s

3. ah... hell, either update it to similar specs as a midrange 800 iBook and charge 599 or kill the damn thing

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 44
    iBOOK = G4 Processor at 800 Mhz, 13" Widescreen, and 1x superdrive

Powerbook = IBM PPC 970, 2x or 4x superdrive, DDR RAM!!!!, and if I could have more than three things...rotatable ((or even larger 16.2") screen of 180 degrees to double as tablet pc (if this indeed becomes the future, I hope not, but it would be cool anyway), and paint anodized into the Titanium.

iMac = 19" widescreen, slot load superdrives, and 1Ghz G4s with 133 bus, and if I had more than three choices...DDR RAM and 120 GB drives
  • Reply 3 of 44
    imac:

&gt; no slot loading drive

&gt; 64 mb video ram

ibook:

&gt; more than 128 mb ram!

&gt; at least 32 mb video ram in 12" ibook

powerbook:

&gt; scratch resistant surface

powermac:

&gt; usb and fire wire connections on frontside
  • Reply 4 of 44
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    ibook:

[br]

1: 12" screen with better graphics chipset - better display quality and controls but no size increase for the case

2: G4 processor and DDR plus faster bus

3: lower the damn price

Powerbook:

[br]

1: wider screen with faster chipset (wildcat, quadro etc)

2: 970 or G5 processor and DDR plus faster bus

3: a range of AV ports

Powermac:

[br]

1: lower monitor prices - I mean, Jeez!

2: Dual and Quad 970 or G5 processor and DDR plus faster bus - a real PC killer

3: a range of AV ports and dump adc

imac:

[br]

1: faster graphics chipset (wildcat, quadro etc)

2: Single 970 or G5 processor and DDR plus faster bus

3: more expandability - at least the graphics card

emac:

[br]

1: lower the damn price

2: DDR plus faster bus

3: a range of AV ports

CRT imac:

[br]

1: give it away free to education

2: give it away free to education

3: give it away free to education

Oh and for all of them:

4) a rewritten OSX that doesn't require a cluster of Big Blues just to make the interface feel snappy.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>iBook

1. Standard display spanning

2. 13 inch screen in same size case as 12.1

3. G4 + faster bus</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 13 inch screen won't fit the case unless the iBook hinge is redesigned. I'm all for that though. The iBook hinge is retarded...Apple didn't put the ports and power connector on the side by choice; they put the ports on the side because the hinge and open screen block the back... The iBook screens also don't open past about 130 degrees.

[quote]iMac

1. 17 inch cheaper and sturdier

2. Geforce 4 Ti whatever with 64MB

3. Better sound system (perhaps 4.1)<hr></blockquote>

What about faster processors first? The GeForce 4 Ti graphics options are still basically top of the line. I think a better option would be the much cheaper Radeon 9000 Pro for the next update. I also don't think Apple should bundle 4 speakers and a sub with the iMac. Let Harman/Kardon keep making nice third party options.

[quote]PowerMac

1. Up to date motherboard: USB 2, FW 2, ATA/133

2. New processor... G4++, G5, 970, whatever

3. New case that is a bit more um... daring than a reskinned minitower<hr></blockquote>

Serial ATA would be nice. I'd like a conservatively styled case with a combination of great cooling and silence. No Chris Bangle inspired designs please.

[quote]Displays

1. 18 or 19 inch wide screen

2. 17 inch widescreen

3. $699, $1299, $1999, and $2799 pricepoints for 17, 18/19, 22, 23<hr></blockquote>

The 22" ACD is so old, it should be retired. There should be an iMac-like 1440x900 17", a 1600x1024 20" the existing 1920x1200 23"

[quote]eMac

1. Even Cheaper

2. Bundle with stand

3. Geforce 4MX graphics<hr></blockquote>

The Radeon 9000 doesn't cost much more than a GeForce 4MX.

[quote]iMac Classic

1. Even Cheaper!!!

2. New G3s

3. ah... hell, either update it to similar specs as a midrange 800 iBook and charge 599 or kill the damn thing/quote]

Get rid of it.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    iBook:

The iBook is fine right now, but I will be in the market for a laptop in the first half of next year, so next time it's bumped, I'd like to see:

1Ghz G3 processor with 200Mhz FSB and DDR memory. (the processor already supports this, Apple is just waiting for moto to catch up)

No 12 and 14 inch models. Just make a new 13 inch one to appease both crowds.

Smaller and possibly slightly lower touchpad so I won't keep bumping it while I type.

PowerBook:

200Mhz FSB with 400Mhz DDR memory.

~1.3 Ghz G4 processor with 512k L2 on-chip L2 cache.

I don't expect laptop video technology to improve much beyond what is currently available, so I'd expect the PowerBook and iBook to remain with the same video. With that said, they should both get Bluetooth, since some people seem to really want that.

PowerMac:

Dual 1.8 Ghz G4 with 200Mhz FSB and 400Mhz DDR memory. (get real, the FSB will always be half of memory speed while they're using the G4.)

Firewire 2

Lower Prices by at least $100/$200/$300

iMac:

17" screens standard, 19" on high end

~1.2Ghz G4 with 167Mhz Bus and 333Mhz DDR memory.

Lower Prices by at least $100 across the board.

eMac:

1Ghz G4 with 133Mhz bus.

At least $200 price cut across the board.

CRT iMac

Get rid of them cheap.

nVidia drivers:

get your shit together and make these faster! ATi is making you look bad!
  • Reply 7 of 44
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    PowerMac: S-video out on the graphics cards, PPC 970 and architecture, Up to date connectivity (USB 2.0, SATA, FW2 etc)

G-News
  • Reply 8 of 44
    [quote] ibook:

[br]

1: 12" screen with better graphics chipset - better display quality and controls but no size increase for the case

2: G4 processor and DDR plus faster bus

3: lower the damn price <hr></blockquote>

1..ok, maybe

2. would love that (would heat be an issue with G4 in iBook case?)...at least move the bus to 133

3. jesus, they just lowered the price 200 bucks...no pleasing some i guess

the price is fine....a bus of 133 would be nice, spanning native would be nice, 13 inch screen across the board would be nice and 256 ram with one open slot would be nice....would love a G4 also, but don't think this will happen till the PB goes to a new chip in 6-9 months....then iBook may go G4 (as long as heat issues are addressed)

iMac---17" across the board (maybe 19" at top level)....better grahpics card, bus of 133 or 167, G4 of 867 and 1 g, iSub standard, usb and firewire ports moved to side like iBook

airport card drops in price from 99 to 69 bucks

i'm a consumer so i only really care about the iBook and iMac...will leave the PB and PM discussion to the pro users here....g
  • Reply 9 of 44
    iMac

*TV-Tuner

*Time-Lapse VCR capability
  • Reply 10 of 44
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    PowerMacs

*USB2, FW2, SATA, AGP 8X

*More options for optical drives

*Bus speed/new Proc... etc...

PowerBook

*FIX AIRPORT

*USB2, FW2, DDR bus (if only to save batt life)

*new 16" screen model much like the "bigger brother" iBooks

*better batteries

iMac

*only 1 15" model on the low end priced at $999 17" across the line with possible a high end 19" if they can price it under $2000

*512 ram standard in the internal slot, 133 bus

*USB2, FW2, starting at 1GHz

iBook

*256 ram standard soldered internally

*DDR even if only to save batt life/better batteries

*option for higher res on 14"

eMac

*Cheaper $799-$1199

*higher res CRT if possible, include stand

*1GHz across the line

CRT iMac

*2 models $499, $699

*CD, 800MHz G3, 128 20 gig, AGP 2X RADEON for QE($399 edu in bulk (24+))

*Combo, 800MHz G3, 256, 20 gig, AGP 2X RADEON for QE($599 edu in bulk (24+))

iPod

*$20 cheaper so $30 edu discount makes sense and $20 engraving makes sense also

*FIX THE FIRMWARE ISSUES

*$30 ($50) rebate if purchased with a Mac in an apple store

Monitors

*17 Cinima @ iMac Res $699 or better (look to get under $500)

*19-20 Cinima @ 22" res $1499 or better (look to get under $1000)

*23 Cinima @ same res $2999 (look to get under $2500)

Airport

*Bluetooth On-Board

*USB on BS for printer sharing

*FW on BS for file sharing

*better range/better speed

Overall

*1GHz lowest clock speed available except for CRT iMacs--we should have been here a year ago at least on the desktops

*USB2, FW2 on all Modern Mobos (not CRT iMacs)

*32MB DDR 4X AGP MINIMUM on low end machines, 64MB on high end and all PRO machines
  • Reply 11 of 44
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    haahaha... thanks eugene

[quote]The 13 inch screen won't fit the case unless the iBook hinge is redesigned. I'm all for that though. The iBook hinge is retarded...Apple didn't put the ports and power connector on the side by choice; they put the ports on the side because the hinge and open screen block the back... The iBook screens also don't open past about 130 degrees.<hr></blockquote>

I like the hinge but it does have it's problems.... I like the ports on the side as well.

even if the case must increase in size a tad... they need to move to a 13.x inch screen. It would not sacrifice the smallness of the 12 inch iBook but it would compete better with all the 14 inch PC laptops at that pricepoint

laptop screen size, despite resolution, is a bragging right to many people.

[quote]What about faster processors first? The GeForce 4 Ti graphics options are still basically top of the line. I think a better option would be the much cheaper Radeon 9000 Pro for the next update. I also don't think Apple should bundle 4 speakers and a sub with the iMac. Let Harman/Kardon keep making nice third party options.

quote:<hr></blockquote>

1.) no clockspeed... of course aster processors... that isn't really too much to think of

2.) Radeon 9000 whatever.... anything better and "current".

3.) I think Apple needs to do something with sound... an iMac is a complete package.... bundle some awesome speakers with it and maybe make it 4.1.... it's time for Apple to start offering a refined and enjoyable all around computer experience... we got the great visuals with a 17 inch widescreen, decent performance, now we need sound.

[quote]Serial ATA would be nice. I'd like a conservatively styled case with a combination of great cooling and silence. No Chris Bangle inspired designs please.<hr></blockquote>

c'mon.... I'm tired of having a tower.... want something more daring.

[quote]The 22" ACD is so old, it should be retired. There should be an iMac-like 1440x900 17", a 1600x1024 20" the existing 1920x1200 23" <hr></blockquote>

since when does age judge a product? the 22 inch Cinema Display is probably one of Apple's best selling displays ever.... you see them EVERYWHERE... there is nothing wrong with it... and it can just keep getting cheaper.... a 19 or 20 inch cinema display would be much cheaper but the 23 inch is always going to be much more.... there is room for 4 displays. and why kill something that is a success?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    What I want:

iBook:

Coffee mug warmer built into lower right hand side of keyboard palmrest on 14" model.

Thank you and good night.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    iBook: higher res screen (1280*960), someone indicated above that it didn't do monitor spanning, so *monitor spanning*, colour options (especially black, black, black or black).

PowerBook: higher res screen (must be at least 1,000 pixels deep, so 1600*1024), USB2.

iMac: seems fairly decent to me, if that's what you want. But, I think I'd like an "iMac core", ie an iMac with no screen which you could use any screen with.

MacOS X: (ok, not hardware, but still "product") built-in windowshade, spring-loaded folders that work properly, a complete re-think of the open/save dialogue boxes (which are the worst thing ever) and *UK English localisation*.

Ok, I had four on the last one. :-)
  • Reply 14 of 44
    iMac CRT:

-100.00 price drop to 699.00

-Replace the 750cxe with a 750Fx

-DDR Video card capable of QE

iMac G4:

-133Mhz Bus

-4x AGP

-100.00 Price drop

iBook:

-fine for now

PowerBook:

-faster superdrive

PowerMac:

-8x AGP

-price drop

eMac:

-133Mhz bus

-price drop

-CD ROM verion for 899.00
  • Reply 15 of 44
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't think the 23" ACHDD will always carry a premium. There are bigger TFTs out there right now. Samsung has a 24" available.

Paul has probably the greatest suggestion of all...Increase AirPort's range on the PowerBook...it's laughable.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    iBook:

G4 CPU, 133 MHz FSB.

Higher resolution 14" display.

Analogue and digital I/O ports, including microphone in and line in.

Titanium:

PPC 970 and supporting mobo.

Higher display resolution.

iMac:

Dual G4 CPUs, 133 MHz FSB.

17" LCD standard, w/ 19" LCD on high end.

Powermac:

Dual PPC 970 on all models.

Case revision that is quieter and has FW and USB ports on both the rear and front of the tower.

On all Apple products, I'd like to see a price drop, but I don't think that will happen until Apple gains significantly more market share.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Doesn't look like any of that would happen.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Applenut, I love these "Three things" threads of yours. I've been trying to start some worthwhile threads myself and yours are a model.

Though you don't state it specifically, I will restrict my wishes to realistic upgrades for the next rev of each line. Asking for a 970 in an iMac is pointless.

First of all, Bluetooth standard on everything.

Flat Panel iMac

1. Kill 15" Model. Good/Better/Best 17/17/19

2. Minimum GeForce 4MX 64 graphics

3. Minimum 1GHz G4

eMac

1. $999 and $1299 price points

2. Minimum GeForce 4MX 64 graphics

3. Minimum 1GHz G4

iBook

1. 256 MB RAM minimum

2. New battery technology, 6 hour real world

3. G4

Powerbook

1. Increased AirPort range

2. IBM 7200 RPM liquid drives standard

3. New battery technology, 6 hour real world

4. Black anodized case

iPod

1. Color screen

2. Full cellphone functionality with bluetooth headset

3. "Classic" 10 GB model $199

CRT iMac

1. Kill it

2. Kill it

3. Kill it

Power Mac

Might as well wait for the 970
  • Reply 19 of 44
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    IF the CRT iMac gets killed, then a 799 eMac is in order. Ain't nothing in it to keep it from being a 799 machine, with the stand included. If the CRT iMac lives, then it should be priced 499.

<a href="http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_300sflat_proddetail.shtml"; target="_blank">Gateway</a> now has a 699 machine that includes a 15" LCD! However crappy you may find it, it makes the price of the Classic iMac look simply shameful.

Actually, there's no good reason why a 15" iMac couldn't be built to 899-999 price, including all the standard i/o but a read only DVD/CD.

Unless we see a 19" widescreen iMac, there's similarly no reason why the machine should top out at 1999.

iMac CRT, dead or commodity price

eMac, 799-1299 (including superdrive, the 2X units are about to get dirt cheap as 4X units hit the market) Perhaps primarily for edu market, keep it out there for consumers who want it, but the LCD price argument is gone -- 15" FP computer bundles are now available in the 700USD range, and will be common at that price by early next year.

iMac LCD,

15" 899-999

17" 1299-1599

19" 1999

PowerMac

G5, 970, whatever you wanna call it, announce it to ship in 3 months if you have too, no one in their right mind is going to buy a powermac without it after Q1 '03. 7457 and 7457rm are fine for the consumer and laptop lines, NOT for a powermac.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Let's see:

For all models

3. USB2, FW2, AirPort2, Bluetooth all built in

PowerMac

1. Power4 processor

2. Hypertransport or other advanced bus

iMac

1. 970 processor

2. Digital audio outs, Video in and outs for HTPC use

Powerbook

1. Better case design, less flimsy, less heat

2. 970 processor

iBook

1. Slower 970 processor than Powerbook

2. Smaller size (Fujitsu Lifebook P has a pound on it)