Nick and Jessica: Newlyweds Show

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was flipping channels and saw this show. I had no idea what I was watching at first, but was amazed at this newlywed couple and their complete stupidity.

The episode was all about Jessica buying $1,400 sheets.

Then I realized who it was. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Some observations:

1) Jessica Simpson is the stupidest woman alive.

2) She lives in what has to be a $20 million house. They have every material possession known to man. Yet, she was pouting around that she was bored. We've all talked about celebrities having no concept of reality....but now I truly understand.

3) Jessica cannot read. Well...she can read...but at about an 6th grade level.

4) Jessica is hot, but annoying.

5) Jessica cannot pronounce "dissemination".

6) Jessica cannot remember lines (she was shooting for something in the show).

7) Jessica cannot pull her Mercedes into the garage without stopping every four inches to see if the mirror will hit the side.

Perhaps we can add some. This woman literally makes my skin crawl. I will never get the 10 minutes of my life back that I spent watching the show.

Jessica=BYYYAAAATTCH!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Perhaps this show is a therapy : watch out how this rich and cute people are stupid and brainless. You are not rich, but so more interesting than this golden loosers ...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I caught a couple minutes of the show once, I saw it on and I thought "everyone says she is mind-numbingly dumb and painful to watch, how bad can it really be?"

I don't even remember what they were doing, but she was just lying around saying she was bored. \

The worst are those Pizza Hut ads she's doing, because it's harder to avoid those, I usually just mute it or change the channel, but, yeah, those are annoying
  • Reply 3 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    She is now building her persona around the fact that she is an idiot.

One of her videos for one of her songs (not a fan, have no idea which) plays up her (semi-famous) "is chicken of the sea chicken or fish" remark as well as her "where do buffalo wings come from" speculation, which is also the hook of some ad now airing she did for, I think, buffalo wings pizza of some sort.

So in the modern celebrity machine, if you are revealed to be slightly retarded, but are hot, you just go with it. Everybody loves a slightly retarded hot chick, I guess.

Some people think it's just schtick, but when you watch her vacant, petulant gaze moving emptily across her possessions, you gotta figure she's the real deal.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Part Airhead, part Eloi.

Unsurprising and unfortunate that the California Barbie/Bimbo stereotype is celebrated.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Why do we as a culture reward people like this?
  • Reply 6 of 43
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Did anybody see the one where she couldn't figure out what 'Chicken of the Sea' was? "So wait, this is chicken?" ... "But it's Chicken of the Sea..."

edit: When I get distracted while posting people beat me to it.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Why do we as a culture reward people like this?

Because we are a deeply anti-intellectual culture that confuses simple mindedness with the virtue of "simplicity".

Hell, we elected Reagan president.....
  • Reply 8 of 43
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

. . .

That was a stupid comment. Reagan was fairly political long before he went into it for a living, and was much sharper and more inteligent than many other presidents we have elected -- or that we could have elected.

As for Jessica Simpson, people watch the show because she's hot. Kind of ironic, since she comes from a southern baptist upbringing and was talking at some point about how she doesn't want to encourage lustful desires out of men.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its okay to be stupid. Its also okay to be rich and stupid. Its also (kinda) okay to look at stupid rich people like this. But what I don´t get is why rich people let others look at them like this. It must be the stupid part...
  • Reply 10 of 43
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,014member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Because we are a deeply anti-intellectual culture that confuses simple mindedness with the virtue of "simplicity".

Flag on the play. Unecessary Partisan Political Attack. First Down.

• Reply 11 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its okay to be stupid. Its also okay to be rich and stupid. Its also (kinda) okay to look at stupid rich people like this. But what I don´t get is why rich people let others look at them like this. It must be the stupid part...

What I don't understand is why we give them our money in the first place. These people wouldn't get rich if we didn't listen to their crappy music and watch their crappy TV shows.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Isn´t it family money she is having fun with? If not peace with that. I don´t understand why people buy ANY of the music played on MTV. But if they get something from it who am I to judge.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    I don't think it's gratuitous and I don't think it's off topic.

We wonder why America rewards "stupid people". I say it's because we're anti-intellectual and think of stupidity as being similar to straightforwardness.

One of the reasons Reagan got elected was his appearance of being untroubled by profound thought. Not one of those "pointy headed intellectuals" or "sophisticates". Just said what was on his mind and what was on his mind was easily intelligible to even the dimmest bulbs.

Much like Mr. Bush.

Now we can leave the actual intellectual status of these types aside, but the fact is much of their appeal is the perception that they simply aren't smart enough to be complicated, since complicated, in the American mind, equals untrustworthy.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    The newlyweds are Mac users

_thedustin
  • Reply 15 of 43
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    We like to laugh at the rich. It makes us feel superior. And so now we have show after show after show where the rich people pretend to be stupid.

The joke is on us for believing it.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    As jaw-droppingly dumb as Jessica can be at times, they seem like really nice people. I find myself drawn to the show and them-especially Nick.

He's very down to earth for a guy that's been rich and famous since he was a teenager. He doesn't hire people to do stuff he can handle, which seems like faint praise but watch "The Fabulous Life of..." sometime and you'll see how helpless celebs can be.

Plus I think he genuinely loves Jessica. He could have had any number of chicks who are just as hot, and he's soooo patient with her. Reportedly waited until after the wedding to do the deed, too.

There's also something kinda charming about the way they aren't afraid to look dorky and uncool.

They put on that 70's style variety show and it would have been easy to make it a mean-spirited parody of the genre, but they played it straight and I thought it was a fun hour of family entertainment.

I dunno, I want to hate them, but I just can't. I don't like their music, but there's just something I find really likeable about them as people.

J
  • Reply 17 of 43
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Well I loathe them enough for both you and I jeffyboy, so don't sweat it. You're covered.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Did it ever occur to any of you that pretending to be stupid could be an act that has her and him laughing all the way to the bank?

Nick
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Did it ever occur to any of you that pretending to be stupid could be an act that has her and him laughing all the way to the bank?

Nick

Sure, but two things suggest otherwise.

One, it's a bizarre hook for a show. I mean, you would have to imagine a meeting where somebody gets the idea that it would be cooler if Jessica acted like a moron.

Two, and more importantly, look into her eyes. See the emptiness there.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

It did to me. Three posts above yours.

Cheers

Scott