Mac OS X 10.4 ? Tiger Wishlist

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
My wish is for a new better Finder.

The Finder in 10.1 and 10.2 was OK, but slow. The Finder in 10.3 is faster and more functional, but buggy.

Also, I'm sure Apple has a few ideas for Finder improvements under wraps, and it'll be interesting to see them...

What do you wish for? Any ideas for an enhanced Finder? m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    A cocoa Finder would be great.

I want to see the return of the old network view and not have the finder lock up when network is disconnected.

Virtual desktops that work like expose would be nice.. zoom out of one desktop and into another.

no..forget that... how about somekind of expose thats on all the time and the windows zoom closer as they get focus? like the dock zooming..
  • Reply 2 of 65
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I wish the finder was better at handling disk are mounted but then disconnect unexpectedly. The system just hangs up and then has a hard time dealing with the fact that the mounted volume is no longer there.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I wish the finder was better at handling disk are mounted but then disconnect unexpectedly. The system just hangs up and then has a hard time dealing with the fact that the mounted volume is no longer there.

I thought I was the only one having this problem. It really sucks. Every once and a while my G5 doesn't recognize my external hard disk when it awakes from sleep. I have taken to just not letting it sleep.

It also has problems when you try to unmount a disk. All my computers regularly tell me that they can't unmount disks because they are in use. If I run lsof I find no files open on that disk. If I just attempt to eject it a few more times it usually works. Still, if there are no open files it should just eject the disk and if there are open files it should tell you which ones.

I would also like to see the "Home on iPod" feature and improved speach recognition.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I wish that they would replace the spinning rainbow ball. Little thing, but doesn't really match anything else.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    At the moment drive sleeping comes to mind. I own a WD Raptor and a 200GB JB model, the latter being the louder. No applications reside there, just data files. Certain times (cron jobs?) and other actions cause the drive to wake from sleep spontaneously. Not so much a problem except two things:

1) The drive sleeps because it has no FDB motors, at night when it awakens it sounds like a buzz-saw revving.

2) The system will literally grind to a halt waiting for the drive to awaken. It may take up to a minute. Way too long to wait when the drive awakens 10 times a night.

Overall there needs to be some compelling features. I don't know about the rest of you but Jaguar was a much easier sell then Panther. The only standout features Panther added was a sidebar Finder and Exposé. Tiger needs several features with the magnitude of Exposé if Apple wants me to plunk down another $120.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Fully working finder ftp. It's been too long that this feature has been broken.

Also would like a free equivalent of MS remote desktop, VNC isn't as good.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

The only standout features Panther added was a sidebar Finder and Exposé.

Well, there were the massive upgrades to the core OS, the developer subsystems, the general frameworks, the *huge* improvements to the Server tools... yeah, just a Sidebar and Expose...

I would have plunked down the cash *without* the new UI features, just to get the under the hood improvements. Just because it's not eyecandyrific doesn't mean it's not important.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Ummm ... I don't think these quite qualify for a "wish" list. They all belong on a "fix what's broken and bug fix" list.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Ummm ... I don't think these quite qualify for a "wish" list. They all belong on a "fix what's broken and bug fix" list.

Yeah, its sad we have to "wish" for bugs to be fixed.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Well, there were the massive upgrades to the core OS, the developer subsystems, the general frameworks, the *huge* improvements to the Server tools... yeah, just a Sidebar and Expose...

I would have plunked down the cash *without* the new UI features, just to get the under the hood improvements. Just because it's not eyecandyrific doesn't mean it's not important.

I know Kickaha, and I did pickup a copy for home after getting used to using Exposé and the low level stuff. Re-written WebCore was great because it introduced so many new apps and features (I'm a web guy). But we still have many computers at home running Jaguar, and they haven't aged poorly at all. I applaud Apple for doing something other companies don't, working on a huge deal of the back-end stuff without adding tons features overtop old code.

But other then Exposé/Sidebar many of these GUI features seem tacked on, and they may have been. But I hope Tiger has more upfront changes. More stuff you would never have thought you needed but after using can't life without (Exposé).
  • Reply 11 of 65
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    A major overhaul of the Dock.

1) When an app is closed it's dock menu would contain a miniature file-menu containing New, Open Recent.

2) Also in the Dock Menu, just below the 'Show in Finder', 'Show Related Files' (preference files, etc.)

3) Spring-loaded Dock Folders (how long have we been asking for that one!)

4) Better performance when browsing folders in the dock.

5) When you click on the Finder icon, it spawns a new Finder window.

6) Options to see which app is using the most processor power, maybe a yellow or green glow for intensive tasks, teamed up with an option to re-nice the app.

7) Apps Dock icon would pulsate red if it needs to be Force Quit.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

A major overhaul of the Dock.

1) When an app is closed it's dock menu would contain a miniature file-menu containing New, Open Recent.

2) Also in the Dock Menu, just below the 'Show in Finder', 'Show Related Files' (preference files, etc.)

3) Spring-loaded Dock Folders (how long have we been asking for that one!)

4) Better performance when browsing folders in the dock.

5) When you click on the Finder icon, it spawns a new Finder window.

6) Options to see which app is using the most processor power, maybe a yellow or green glow for intensive tasks, teamed up with an option to re-nice the app.

7) Apps Dock icon would pulsate red if it needs to be Force Quit.

8. Perhaps applications that have been hidden in the background could be displayed as ghosted transperant icons in the Dock.

9. An "Open" menu item in the Dock's contextual menus for programs and documents. (I know this seems dumb when you can just get out of the menu and click the icon again).

10. Not Dock related. When an iPod, CD/DVD, or external HD is spinning up, don't make the Finder unresponsive. Just have the HD's icon on the Desktop animate, or its icon in a Finder window sidebar.

I like dot point 4. This is almost "urgent". Dot point 7 is a brilliant idea! m.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I agree the Dock needs an overhaul. It needs better app-launching capabilities, maybe something like a static icon with a specialized popup menu for all your favorite applications and documents, like the XP start menu. Regardless, OS X needs a better way to open apps than manually dragging the Applications folder to the Dock (which offers no customization or hierarchy). So many times I sit down to a Mac in a library and find like 3 windows spawned of someone trying to get to the applications folder.

The Finder also needs to be reinvented (with full metadata). Right now, it's a complete embarrassment.

Other areas of improvement I'd like to see in OS X:

- Improved mouse speed/acceleration. The cursor acceleration curve in all versions of X up to Panther has been atrocious. The mouse pane needs to be revamped, with more options on acceleration and speed of the cursor (as well as a much better acceleration algorithm). I want the fluid, natural feeling cursor movement of OS 9 and XP.

- Some sort OS-centralized Project Center. It'd be nice to able to associate all sorts of files, emails, iCals, etc. to a category, and then manage those categories from a central app. I'm sure this would all be much easier with a metadata filesystem too.

- A simple note-taking app that can sync (via iSync of course) with .Mac and Exchange. Call it iNote, and it would integrate well with a Project Center-like app. Standard brushed interface similar to iTunes, Address Book, etc. Just any easy way to jot down notes which could be associated with Address Book Contacts, iCal to-dos, emails, etc.

- Snappiness. Panther was an improvement (as was every other 10.X upgrade), but the OS still doesn't keep up with every click of the mouse, sometimes it lags badly.

- Updated Aqua. Perhaps darker with more transparency, like the screenshots seen from Motion.

- Updated iCal, iChat, Mail. iCal needs support for more protocols, better SMS handling, updated bubble-chat GUI, better support for groups, etc. Also, AIM voice chat would be nice. iCal needs a bunch more features; mainly Exchange support, reoccurring to-dos. Mail... read the Mail thread.

- Improved GUI for the Firewall would be nice in System Preferences. Definitely needs a log of firewall activity.

- Improved GUI for sharing services. FTP for example, doesn't show who's connected, how many people, access privileges. This could be improved.

- More Desktop Backgrounds and Interface Sounds.

- Plugin architecture for Software Update so that 3rd parties can use this centralized app to distribute updates.

- Optional grammar-checking in cocoa text boxes.

- Redesigned Quicktime architecture & app. Proper DIVX support ('bout time? :/ ), support for that new mp4 codec they're talking about, simpler and faster exporting controls/speed. Redesigned GUI, one that allows for movie-management capabilities like iTunes, so I can organize my movies from one central app. Redesigned preference panes (who the hell uses "Kiosk Mode"? ), Maybe even a QuickTime Movie Store? Doubtful. Also, QT should be FREE if it wants to compete with WMP.

- Smart Groups in Address Book with some toolbar options (delete would be nice)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    boubabouba Posts: 33member
    Hey guys, I have some suggestions as well:

Smart folders: folders that obey to rules. Similar to the smart playlist in itunes, they will allow us to display categories of files (files opened today, all songs except _______ (ricky martin?) , all movies, etc... It is could also be a saved search query and would probably need to be backed by a database-like file system.

Global searches from the finder: like in launchbar, be able to search simultaniously in the addressbook, the finder, mail, safari, etc. All that in the same interface. (When you are looking for a phone number, it doesn't make sens to have to think what application you have to use to have that kind of information.. )

Overhaul of the Netinfo Database and remove the hierarchical path to home folders /users/blabla/documents. Be able to flag a folder as a home, and introduce auto-discrovery of home folders from remote discs (ie home on ipod) This would need a database file system and meta-data.

Dragging a file over a dock icon would activate exposé for that app, and you will be able to drop the file in the appropriate window. If the application is hidden, the same thing would occur (right now, there is no easy way to do that, except to activate the application (unhide) go to the finder (but you'll be stuck with the windows except with exposé - show desktop), select then drag the file or clipping in the right window using show all windows.

More menu extras: Energy saver, a list of all the windows open, Location manager?

General settings and an assistant for backup (and make this one available for everyone, not just for .mac), file indexing, alarm clock, like in copland (that was one of its main feature) Synchronisation of folders, and HD with iSync.

New View options in the finder, perhaps a preview mode (image preview like in XP?!)

a Hard Line Caller ID within the address book (already available for bluetooth phones) An option to be a server would be nice, so that you could connect from your WIFI ibook and have a popup appear with the incoming call information!!!

A dyndns service for .mac customers, forwarding to the mac's ip address

Fix QT, make it cocoa, make it scream! Allow the plugin to display in full screen like the WinMediaplayer plugin in windows. Full screen for non-pro users.

Sound: General EQ, and effects.

Mail: set the priority of the mail, notify on reception.

Safari: force line-brake of url (CSS3) for 3rd party apps

reduce the size of images if they don't fit in the window, like Camino or Win IE. Search will load the results in a sherlock 2 way, with different search sites selected at the same time.

Sherlock should be updated and have more services, available through the service menu.

Image capture allows you to share images from a digital camera. It should allow you to share them from a folder as well

Better speech synthesis and recognition. AT&T anyone?! ?!?!

Saved States.

F-Key mapping

What else?!?! hahahaha B)
  • Reply 15 of 65
    -Completely new Finder, Panther's Finder upgrade was not enough by any means.

-More subtle effects/background sounds for a more immersive UI, but not one that's distracting.

-I agree with the previous post...iNote or something. Maybe the ability to sync Stickies.

-Please, make me want to renew my .Mac subscription this October!

-Maybe a sound recording app? Like SimpleSound from the Classic days. GarageBand is overkill for simply taking voice notes. While we're at it, I enjoyed all the quirky little desk accessories that came with Classic OS's. While not a Graphing Calc, or a Scrapbook?

-Better Exposé performance. Sometimes, it hiccups and stutters. I know, my 32MB graphics chip is underwhelming...

-Revamped Font Book, and that app icon is horrible, has to go.

-The crystal Apple logo for the Apple menu needs to go. So...2001. I wouldn't mind having a black, block icon. Or a chrome one.

-They need to do something with Sherlock. Maybe kill it. Sherlock, IMO, never really took off, even after being part of the OS for nearly 6 years. The current version screams "bloat" to me. Trim it down, or revamp it.

-Safari 2...why not a revolutionary new feature?
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

While not a Graphing Calc, or a Scrapbook?

The current calculator has hidden features of a graphic calculator and some other things that I can't remember, but still in beta (5 modes total...)

Quote:

-They need to do something with Sherlock. Maybe kill it. Sherlock, IMO, never really took off, even after being part of the OS for nearly 6 years. The current version screams "bloat" to me. Trim it down, or revamp it.

Web services are cool, and sherlock is pretty efficient at displaying them. It just needs to be more accessible.. perhaps from safari?!
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Be able to browse .zip archive without decompressing them.

When you are spring-loading a folder, a way to go back one folder.. without going back to the initial point.

Use the dock as a temporary shelf to drag files around (using modifier key)

Having multiple clipboards -> would replace the scrapbook of system 7 that was soo useful!
  • Reply 18 of 65
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    ftp in finder that works

sftp in finder

'pro' appearance theme (like motion)

customizable dock
  • Reply 19 of 65
    :: Tabbed browsing within Finder.

:: All brushed metal or Motion like UI

:: Theme support with native choice for the above UI's

:: ftp within the Finder

:: 3 dimensional Exposé features as functional as the current Exposé

:: 3 dimensional Finder, capable of replacing the old 2D file navigation system

I really want to see a third axis put into effect within an OS. I know some people will scream and say that a 3D file system wouldn't work, but I say thats only because a 2D file navigation system is all we know. 2D has been proven to be successful and quite mature.

Even still I personally think a third axis will provide much more efficient ways of doing things for obvious reasons. As to achieving the exact art of how to do so- well thats what I pay Apple to do
  • Reply 20 of 65
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    My wish is that you would have used the Search button here at AI. I started this thread quite a long time ago.

10.4 Tiger Feature Request