Mac OS X 10.4 ? Tiger Wishlist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

At the moment drive sleeping comes to mind. I own a WD Raptor and a 200GB JB model, the latter being the louder. No applications reside there, just data files. Certain times (cron jobs?) and other actions cause the drive to wake from sleep spontaneously. Not so much a problem except two things:

No kidding what the hell is with computers, no matter what OS, always accessing drives they just shouldn't be accessing? Especially Windows! If you just sit there listening to a PC that's doing nothing, the hard drive is always churning away. Must be M$ compiling information on you! But it's annoying when if I have a CD in my PowerBook it'll spin up in class while I'm taking notes. Even if it's a blank one. Gar.

ipodandimac same thing happened to my iTunes 5 thread, oh well!
  • Reply 22 of 65
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stylesheet

:: 3 dimensional Finder, capable of replacing the old 2D file navigation system

I really want to see a third axis put into effect within an OS. I know some people will scream and say that a 3D file system wouldn't work, but I say thats only because a 2D file navigation system is all we know. 2D has been proven to be successful and quite mature.

Even still I personally think a third axis will provide much more efficient ways of doing things for obvious reasons. As to achieving the exact art of how to do so- well thats what I pay Apple to do

Something like this?
  • Reply 23 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stylesheet

[B]I really want to see a third axis put into effect within an OS. I know some people will scream and say that a 3D file system wouldn't work, but I say thats only because a 2D file navigation system is all we know.

Actually, it's because the last twenty-odd years of UI research into have produced exactly zero systems that add any worth over the 2D UIs we have now. The displays aren't there yet, for one thing. The biggest argument I've heard for creating a 3D UI is that we humans are wired for 3D environments. Absolutely. So how is flattening that out into a 2D display going to help?

Once we get true 3D displays, there's a *slight* chance that someone may come up with a system that adds cognitive value... but look at the trends now in UIs. Less spatial, more abstraction. This is a good thing, it gets us away from position-is-primary-information to a richer metadata set. I suspect spatiality will make a comeback once rich metadata is ubiquitous, as a supporting piece of metadata... but for now it's taking a backseat, and we're all getting tutored in how to deal with metadata naturally.

In which case adding another spatial dimension is kind of pointless at the moment, and just eye candy for the geeks to wank over.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    As part of the "revamped Finder", I would like to see the following improvement to Column view.

I would like to see the "Preview" column improved. At the moment, it sucks. Badly.

I would like the option, (specified in the Cmd-J "View Options" dialog), to display file icons instead of previews. Sometimes there's a file format I click, and the Finder doesn't recognise it, (like DivX), and it crashes the Finder sometimes. I would personally like to just see file icons.

Sometimes you do see file icons, and sometimes actual previews, but it's hit and miss.

Also, when previewing documents, (like text based documents), you get this cheesy looking "image well" thing with text in the middle of it; and with images, you get this crappy grainy little thumbnail. Previews also take way too long to show up. Something that I don't want to be waiting for.

C'mon Apple, we know you can do these little enhancements...

Plus, someone mentioned Finder window tabs. I like it a lot. If it's anything like Safari, I'm all for it. Safari's tab mechanism is the best I've seen. Oh, and the tabs need to support drag and drop, obviously, like they do in Safari.

<hint>We know you read these forums, Apple...</hint>

My $0.02. m.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    dp101dp101 Posts: 9member
    I wish the finder only allowed one brushed metal finder window. So that if you click on a normal window to convert it to brushed metal one, the other brushed metal window would turn into a normal one instead of have two or more. For me it seems to make sense as the brushed metal browser is a tool to quickly navigate the spacial finder windows. I hate having multiple windows with redundant side bars.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by dp101

I wish the finder only allowed one brushed metal finder window. So that if you click on a normal window to convert it to brushed metal one, the other brushed metal window would turn into a normal one instead of have two or more. For me it seems to make sense as the brushed metal browser is a tool to quickly navigate the spacial finder windows. I hate having multiple windows with redundant side bars.

Maybe not having only one active metal Finder window, that would seem a bit complicated...maybe a Finder toolbar, or floating palette containing locations/controls/buttons?
  • Reply 27 of 65
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    A couple of (small) things I'd like to see...

1) On the desktop, new files appear on the left by default, leaving the right free for drives. This way you'll always know where CDs and iPods will appear, without them appearing in random gaps amongst the files.

2) If you have a spatial finder window without the sidebar, dragging a file to the edge of a window makes the sidebar slide out in a drawer, allowing you to drop the files into your common destinations. The drawer closes again after, so just like the way Mail allows to to move items into folders. It's a nice, quick way to "tidy away" files.

Nothing revolutionary, I'm afraid!

Neil

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 28 of 65
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    -Finder-

-Stop crashing when large file(s) are move to a window from the DT.

-Better networking. Remember user name/pswd. Better way to auto-mount drives.

-Dock-

-I think there should be a better way to group things. I basically only use the dock as an app switcher/launcher. For something that takes up so much screen space, I think Apple should give it more built-in capabilities.

-Please create an option to limit app bouncing. OK, OK, so Safari can't load a page a clicked on a few minutes ago. Do I really need to see the freakin icon bouncing forever? This is a distraction for me because I am often working in multiple apps and some things are just not that important.

-3D OS-

LOL. Maybe in 20 years. I don't know a single person, outside of geek land, that wouldn't completely freak out if this were implemented. How many print shops are still on OS9?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Just had a brainstorm: what if there was an os9 shell included withosx, like the clasic apperance in win xp that runs just like 2k pro, If it looked and worked like os 9 for those who want it, maybe more people would switch.

and some will never upgrade, the same people who long for the days of horse and buggys and oil-lamps.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh god no.

You have to remember, first off, that many of the luddites are still running 8.6, since 9 was, in their eyes, too bloated with eye candy and other useless things.

So you'd have to provide an 8.6 version.

And then there are the System 7 holdouts... and we shouldn't forget the poor folks on 6.0.3 (hey, we can even add in a perpetual system freeze random timer!)...

Nope, nope, nope. It'd be an utter waste of resources.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

whoa there ... you must be the blue guy from that parallel universe? how did you get out of the farnsworth parabox again!?

• Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg

whoa there ... you must be the blue guy from that parallel universe? how did you get out of the farnsworth parabox again!?

It can't be, I thought I killed you!
  • Reply 33 of 65
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh god no.

You have to remember, first off, that many of the luddites are still running 8.6, since 9 was, in their eyes, too bloated with eye candy and other useless things.

So you'd have to provide an 8.6 version.

And then there are the System 7 holdouts... and we shouldn't forget the poor folks on 6.0.3 (hey, we can even add in a perpetual system freeze random timer!)...

Nope, nope, nope. It'd be an utter waste of resources.

9? bloated???? to me (a windows guy for a little while longer...) os9 looks ancheant and 8, well 8 is OK but other than icons, what interface components changed from 8 to 9?

and what is with apple names? every one says "system 6/7" but "OS/8-9-X" whats with that?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    I know someone with 8.6 It does everything they want it to do.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

and what is with apple names? every one says "system 6/7" but "OS/8-9-X" whats with that?

"Mac OS" is relatively new. Apple started to call their OS releases Mac OS when version 8 came out. Before that, it was "System".
  • Reply 36 of 65
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Quote:

It'd be an utter waste of resources.

Thoroughly.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I would like the option to only have one finder window open at a time. With spring loaded folders, I just don't see the point of multiple finder windows. It is maddening. Especially since they don't all seem to open in the same view. Some in column, some in icon, etc.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    ! - Id like it if you could drag a folder on top of a folder with the same name and have it merely update rather than rewrite all the content.

(there must be a simple app for that: anybody know?)

2 - I also would like the Finder to be re-organized so that none of the system files showed, no Library etc, unless you went in search of those files . . . easier for newbies to figure out the file system (option for music, pictures, documents folders rather than give em upfront)

3 - Also, a keyboard/mouse combo for Dock Hide and show . . . gets in the way when I don't want it to show . . . sick of opening apps when I'm just trying to resize a window.

4 - Make expose less sensative in the hot-corners: same as with the dock . . . move the mouse and expose kicks in.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    In the Finder, if a file is being accessed by a program and cannot be modified, the icon becomes transpartent with a lock image overlay and the icon of the App accessing it appears in the bottom right hand corner. Kind of like when a window is minimized to the dock.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I like Arnel's suggestions a LOT, that's what I was going to post about but he beat me to it. I also like someone who posted before Arnel about having a tabbed browser for the finder! ::ducks to avoid brickbat thrown by Eugene::