A simpler explanation of Shake...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

Can anyone explain to me in easy terms what people use Shake for?

I've been reading about it on the Apple site but I stll can't figure out what it's used for and how it's used....

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me in easy terms what people use Shake for?

I've been reading about it on the Apple site but I stll can't figure out what it's used for and how it's used....

Thanks!!!

Compositing. Layering multiple video elements on top of each other. One example of this process is blue screening. Another is adding a computer generated character to a scene.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    So if I started learning shake, could I possibly put that as a skill in my video editing resume, which soerly lacks in skills and experience? Hahahahaha
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

So if I started learning shake, could I possibly put that as a skill in my video editing resume, which soerly lacks in skills and experience? Hahahahaha

hmm well if you learn shake, then more power to you, but if youre fairly new to video youre gonna have one hell of time understanding and learning shake.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Yeppp I assummed as much...but, if it'll help me in my quest to be a great editor etc etc...then it'll be worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes you could, but Shake is one of those monster apps/platforms that is probably bigger and certainly badder than even the OS it runs on. If you really want to learn shake well, it will cost a pretty penny. I imagine they include some tutorials for free somwhere as a good start. But for real expert use, classes or real-world trial by fire for a serious period of time is what is probably required. But be warned, you won't pick it up in a weekened.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Yeppp I assummed as much...but, if it'll help me in my quest to be a great editor etc etc...then it'll be worth it.

So I guess that being an "editor" is a misnomer? Thought editors dealed with slicing up footage (post-production) not chromakey and other compositing (erm. production).

If you buy it to learn more power to you, but wouldn't the fact that these high-end compositors are generally separate from the editors (FCP) mean they are used by different people in different fields. Kinda like how texture artists (Photoshop) aren't 3D animators (Maya) but they are in related fields?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    O-Mac you'll want to start out with something like Combustion or Motion even. Learn how to composite with those apps and the jump to Shake shouldn't be too hard. The thing about Shake is that it's a node based compositor and that concept is difficult to grasp. Basically you assign editiable "nodes" to you video and these nodes show just how your processing and compositing video. It's fast but may take some time to get your head around it.

Starting out with Combustion from Discreet or After Effects from Adobe or Motion from Apple will get your feet when and those apps look great on a resume too.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Cool...thanks for the advice! It's going to be a long road starting out from almost nothing, but i think it'll be more fun than answering phones a listening to rude people complain about their Internet Explorer...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Cool...thanks for the advice! It's going to be a long road starting out from almost nothing, but i think it'll be more fun than answering phones a listening to rude people complain about their Internet Explorer...

Yes I too am moving away from dealing with humans I have no desire to speak to and trying to tap into what creativity I may have within that has been stamped out by conformity. Are you a student O-Mac? If you are great edu deals are available on software.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I'm a student but not in the sense that I'm paying tuition...I'm a nine-to-fiver, five day a week working stiff with a family to support, looking for a better opportunity so that my kids can have a better life...

Like a majority of people out there I discovered late that what I'm doing now isn't what I really wanted to be doing so I'm taking the long road around to a better life.

I hate to cliche so much but I wont know till i try...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

I'm a student but not in the sense that I'm paying tuition...I'm a nine-to-fiver, five day a week working stiff with a family to support, looking for a better opportunity so that my kids can have a better life...

Like a majority of people out there I discovered late that what I'm doing now isn't what I really wanted to be doing so I'm taking the long road around to a better life.

I hate to cliche so much but I wont know till i try...

Hey my story is the same. My son is 2 next month(God it goes fast) and I thought that I'd be pushing education from a weak standpoint being as though I didn't go to college. So one day i'm watching Rudy and I say to myself "if some guy can excel and get to ND undersized and dyslexic, what's my execuse" I enrolled in the local college and i'm finishing up my first year this summer. I'm majoring in Computer Science. Cool thing about that is that it allows you to be creative. You develop things just like you develop a story. My goals are to complete my degree and learn the programming trade but at the same time vastly improve my writing skills. Took a class on scriptwriting and loved it so I'll dable in that and learn the ropes of video production on my own.

First things first I plan to start writing short stories to build my narrative skills. Plus I plan to start learning still photography. Once i'm comfortable with that I think those skills carry over nicely to "moving pictures".

You know if you get lucky a producer will pay for you film. Nothing better than picking out gear using someone else's budget!