Viewing image files in Safari & IE

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Probably a popular question but...

Why is it that I can view particular image files (mostly .jpeg) in IE but a small blue question mark box appears in Safari? And the same for not being able to view some images in IE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Do you mean viewing image files that are on your local machine or over the Net on webpages?

Might help to post and example URL. Usually it means the connection to the server is too slow.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I have this problem a lot with .png files. When AI first unveiled the new Power Mac images here, I had to launch IE to view them. (This obviously doesn't help now since the images were taken offline, but it's the most recent example of this occurrence which happens every now and then).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Oh, I forgot to mention that this happens when *browsing* web sites. I usually don't have a problem with popular web sites (BBC, CNN, Apple, etc) but it seems to happen mostly with more "personal" web sites (music fan sites, friends' pages).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by laughablebutanebob

Oh, I forgot to mention that this happens when *browsing* web sites. I usually don't have a problem with popular web sites (BBC, CNN, Apple, etc) but it seems to happen mostly with more "personal" web sites (music fan sites, friends' pages).

One way to easily "debug" (troubleshoot, I suppose) it is to choose "Activity" from Safari's "Window" menu.

It will list all the assets for a given web page and in the status column it should list various messages in red (usually) if there is trouble loading the asset.

"can't connect to host"

"zero byte resource"

"not found"

"cancelled"

(maybe others)

Tell us what it says for your broken images and we can better diagnose what might be wrong.

Plus, examples would be best.