Ts + New Displays

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Pretty picture, but please, no more non-adjustable displays. Please please please please.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SeanL

If I buy a 2.5 G5 and an ADC display now, what are the limitations to upgrade the video card in the future (assuming a buy an ADC to DVI converter?).

No problem, the video cards in the G5's have both DVI and ADC. They also come with a DVI-to-SVGA adapter. Also, you can upgrade the video card later if you're so inclined (but aftermarket Mac video cards are grossly overpriced).
  • Reply 63 of 98
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Well done Paul.

But I must say that only perpetuates what I don't like about the current displays (just in aluminum) i.e. too much visible support.

Nice execution though, I hadn't envisioned that style before. It would certainly be rugged.

What I need is a Powerbook-like frame (which you have) which is as adjustable as the iMac. I need the screen to seemingly float in space as the iMac does when you are using it.

Any number of things can go on behind the screen to bring that about...I doubt they will merely ape the iMac design, since it might be unnecessarily confusing if the display's base doesn't also have the computer inside it.

Aside: I always wished a subwoofer could be put in the display base, like the iSub ...if we need to justify putting something in the base to make it heavy (and not merely have it be metal or sand). But would a (lightweight) subwoofer be good/safe on a desk? Perhaps not.

The base must "say" I am not the computer, but also maintain what the iMac arm and base provide.
  • Reply 64 of 98
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    As far as my reading from the myriads of previous Display threads goes, it was said that the power-needs of a 30inch display goes far beyong what known video card can deliver. So these displays are supposed to need any form of external powersupply.

My 2€cents
  • Reply 65 of 98
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    to join threads. Still without a clue..

What if there is implemented a cluster approach could the resoluton then be achieved??

just my $0.25
  • Reply 66 of 98
    noknok Posts: 1member
    Could somebody please send me the bigger versions of the TS Apple displays rendition? -- [email protected]

I have captured the TS page with normal sized images in Internet Explorer, before they took off the images. Just if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

nok
  • Reply 67 of 98
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Let's see. AE and G5 announced last week. ITMS Event today. Tiger and possibly speedbumped iMac two weeks from now at WWDC.

Could it be the new displays are coming next tuesday?
  • Reply 68 of 98
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Nice DVI only finaly

Don't get me wrong I like ADC... but I think that for ATI, nVidia and Apple it's more easy to have only DVI interface. No need for them to put a production a part just for Apple (how many people will buy the 9800XT in the Dual G5 ?). This way I hope we can have the latest GPU offering in the same time that the Wintel camp... and perhaps cheaper than today.

And maybe that with the PCI Express / AGP 8x GPU, like the X800 or GeForce 6800, it will be impossible to have enough power to feed an Apple Display via ADC (Let alone a 30" display).

But USB 2 and FireWire built-in is a welcome improvement.

Only hope here is a better pixel response like 16/25 ms. That will be great.

I read somewhere that 12 ms display are in the market but colorimetry on those are very bad.
  • Reply 69 of 98
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Tomorrow is Tuesday. Any wagers? lol
  • Reply 70 of 98
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    itunes europe with the Beatles.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    iTunes is wonderful; glad to see Apple expanding over there; no Independent artists from what I read today though. Something like 25% of downloads are independents in the US. At least, it is a good start. I am sure they will come around soon enough.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeromba

Nice DVI only finaly

Don't get me wrong I like ADC... but I think that for ATI, nVidia and Apple it's more easy to have only DVI interface. No need for them to put a production a part just for Apple (how many people will buy the 9800XT in the Dual G5 ?). This way I hope we can have the latest GPU offering in the same time that the Wintel camp... and perhaps cheaper than today.

And maybe that with the PCI Express / AGP 8x GPU, like the X800 or GeForce 6800, it will be impossible to have enough power to feed an Apple Display via ADC (Let alone a 30" display).

But USB 2 and FireWire built-in is a welcome improvement.

Only hope here is a better pixel response like 16/25 ms. That will be great.

I read somewhere that 12 ms display are in the market but colorimetry on those are very bad.

If you look at ATI's past performance, pre ADC days, you still saw a lag behind Wintel card releases. Even today the Mac compatible retail versions of the cards lag the OEM versions. I think that it is just a lower prioriaty for ATI to release the cards to the Mac community due to lower potential sales. Maybe if there were more "consumer friendly" Macs with replaceable video cards we would see more options and faster role outs by ATI, but until the market increases expect them to look at the Mac market as a second thought.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Tomorrow is Tuesday. Any wagers? lol

Honestly, I'd REALLY like to know what's the hold-up. If I could sit down and ask Steve Jobs ONE question, I truly think it would be something along the lines of "what's the deal on the displays? They're a four-year-old design and they still don't match a tower that's been out for an entire year now. What gives, my man?"

I really don't have much curiosity about their other stuff (most everything, except for the iMac, has been updated/refreshed recently). But this whole display thing in BUGGING me for some reason. I really want to know: why they've been the same for so long, are they going to come down in price, are new, redesigned ones coming, are they DVI only, is there going to be a wide 17", is there a new 30", will the 17" be dropped, will the 20" get down to an affordable price, are they designed with mobility in mind (tilt/swivel), why the huge bezel, etc. Hell, I'd even get a clear answer on the damn stripes for some of you (since it keeps coming up and seems SO important).

\
  • Reply 74 of 98
    My prediction: When it comes time for the G5 bake-off at WWDC, a table will pop up out of the floor. On one end of the table will be a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 attached to a 30" Cinema Display. On the other end will be a Dell with a 17" CRT. The crowd will go nuts.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

My prediction: When it comes time for the G5 bake-off at WWDC, ... will be a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 attached to a 30" Cinema Display...

I'm hoping that the displays will be out before WWDC. After all, WWDC is for developers and I don't think that any software development is necessary for the displays. WWDC will probably be about Tiger/New iMac?/New DLD?
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I'm hoping that the displays will be out before WWDC. After all, WWDC is for developers and I don't think that any software development is necessary for the displays.

Just consider them a visual aid.

I think at this late date, if there's any (more) new Apple hardware on the horizon it will be held for the keynote at WWDC, even if it's only displays.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

I think at this late date, if there's any (more) new Apple hardware on the horizon it will be held for the keynote at WWDC, even if it's only displays.

Maybe you are right. It's impossible to try to guess Apples release schedule anymore.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    I hope that the new displays can easily mount an iSight. I don't want to permanently glue my isight mount to the (presumably) beautiful Apple display.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kaboom

Interesting:

http://www.craigslist.org/pen/sys/33857824.html

Hmmm...I ain't buying it. That's the older, serif font on the side (and it's not even condensed like Apple Garamond was) on that blurb (Apple hasn't used it in almost two years, I think). All their new stuff is, I think, Myriad or a slightly tweaked take on it.

And SEPTEMBER?!?! Jeez...what the hell?

It looks neat, I guess (although kinda overdoing it on the handle aspect).

I think the day we wake up, thinking the least about it, Apple will release them. Bastards.

Has that little guy from "The Incredibles", like the 30" I mocked up a few weeks ago.