Genes...No, I mean jeans!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Jeez I'm going right on with it tonight. Maybe it's the gale force wind blowing from that direction that causes the house to shake on its foundations (oops! there goes a tree). Maybe I'm just making up for lost time. Maybe its the Penfolds Koonunga Hill Semillon Chardonnay (2002).

So. Favorite make and style of jeans, and why.

Levis. Because they're the best.

553 Tight bootcut. Classic styling. Low waisted without being so hippy they show your bum crack when you bend over. Can't come at flaired jeans. Think they're daggy. Having lived through flairs being in fashion and then the height of uncool, it's been a hard road for me to accept their reappearance. And while I do own some flaired pants when it comes to jeans it's a case of nanoo, nanoo.

So what denim designs grace your derriere?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Its definetly the Penfolds Koonunga Hill Semillon Chardonnay. Any rugged jeans that don't show my bum crack (remember the love-patty from the man show on comedy central?) and don't look filthy are good. I am neutral on brands.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I get pretty obsessive about denim. Double ring spun, preferably Japanese. Jeans I currently like are Rogan and Paper Denim & Cloth. Levi's Premium have put out some really nice re-issues recently. I also quite like PRPS, although the only good cut they have at the moment is too much of a skater cut (baggy seat, short inseam) for me - I haven't been on a skateboard in about seven years.

I used to really love Evisu, but they have gotten (a) kind of played in the last couple of years and (b) have become way too expensive. No matter how hard I try, I can't justify spending $315 on a pair of jeans.

(And if you think that charging $315 for a pair of new jeans is crazy, check out the prices that true denim obsessives pay for vintage Levi's.)

Edit: fixed link.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, I couldn't wear crazychester's jeans, but I do agree with her taste and would like to see more women in that cut o' denim.

When I was in better shape, I liked somehwhat form-fitting (not tight -- I hate the idea of second skin outerwear-- ick!) at the waist and falling straight, breaking once on the shoe, just like a good pair of dress slacks and coming just to the heel of my shoe in the back. I prefer a slight widening like a boot cut, no flair, no taper!

Men's jeans almost always fall at or just above the hip, where they should IMO. I suppose if you were a gnassicistic supermodel you could get away with something just under your protruding hip bones. I prefer mine just above by the width of a belt (wider belts for jeans, please). I can go either way with zip- or button-fly. I also still prefer soft jeans to the tough stuff.

I just hate it when you get washed jeans and it looks like they either blasted or completely missed the crotch. Cheap jeans always seem to have this wrinkle righht there that draws attention there if it's not consistent with the rest of the jean. I look for uniform color to start, passed up that whole pre-faded in patches look from a few years ago. I don't show my underwear over my jeans either. I never buy two of the same color or shade. It bothers me when people pick up 3 pairs of not only the same brand but the same color, sort of like buying a sweater in every color and calling it a winter wardrobe. That's just me though. I know men and women who hate to shop on any occasion and do this to get it out of the way.

I wouldn't consider anything over $100, wouldn't even waste my time. I wear jeans to abuse them and relax, and there's nothing relaxing about abusing expensive jeans. I'll wear good slacks if I want to pay any more, and even then, my budget is limited.

I've yet to find a favorite brand, though Levis were up there from my limited experience. Gap jeans are the worst, they fall apart and stretch out as soon as you bend at the knees.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Black stretch jeans, worn until they fall to pieces (actually, I've been known to wear jeans with 6" rips right at the base of my bum on a semi-regular basis, which makes me popular with the middle-aged office ladies I work with), tucked into my battered 20-holes. Naturally, I'm still rather thin.

Levis were good when you could still get their stretch jeans in Australia, otherwise Jeans West are good enough for me, usually.

Actually, it's probably time to go shopping for new jeans again... my current ones are reaching the stage of complete indecency
  • Reply 5 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I've looked long and hard for jeans that fit me well, and the quest is not complete.

I'm a tad under 180cm tall, weigh about 80kg. Waist/hips measurements are 80cm and 100cm. Basically all jeans that fit snugly enough that I don't need a belt are much too small on the hips. If both waist and hips are alright, then the jeans are made for some fashion model hippy who weighs 20kg less than I do, so they don't have enough room for my thighs that I could even walk.

Best so far seem some model from Boss (have not bought them) and some models from Diesel (have not bought them either). I have a hard time justifying these 150EUR jeans to myself, being a student and all, so this far I have just gotten my jeans 2 inches too big at the waist and always wear a belt.

The funny thing is, I'm just now getting into gym training, which might add some muscle mass (even if that's not my goal), which would make the situation even worse.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Banana Republic Jeans. Low-cut, regular, flare, doesn't really matter so long as they go with what shirt or look I am going for that particular day. I do have others, but Banana's are my favs!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    You know, in my inebriated state, after posting I thought "oh no, I've given myself away as obsessive about the jeans I wear". Then I thought "nah, they're Mac users, I know I won't be alone!"

You didn't disappoint guys. Some of you are clearly far more obsessive about it! And I meant to add the 553s are practical too.

$315 (and I'm assuming that's US) for a pair of jeans. Hooley dooley.

Actually, I think I posted the wrong thread topic but I'm too busy today to rectify the situation. The jeans thing is kind of a side issue of something else I've been thinking about lately - namely, my attitude to various material items I purchase. There are some things where I will only buy certain brands or must have the best money can buy. Clothing is one, computers (obviously), anything to do with sound or music - no expense is spared.

Other stuff, I don't give a fig about. I recently bought a new fridge for the first time ever and while it's nice, it's no better than any of the second hand ones I've owned. Likewise, about a year ago I bought matching cutlery and crockery sets for the first time not because I wanted them but because I felt social pressure to have them in case somebody came to dinner that that sort of thing mattered to.

Cars are another thing I couldn't care less about. A friend pointed out to me a few years back that if you buy a car for a grand and it runs for a year without you having to do much to it, then that's pretty cheap as transport goes. I just don't get spending $40,000 on a car.

So I think that's what the thread was meant to be about (which material possessions matter to you or something like that). But I'll blame Penfolds again for making me screw up (and I won't buy cask wine either).

[PS Thanks staphy]
  • Reply 8 of 21
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    deffinatly too poor to pay for the jeans i would like to wear.

i'm too tomboy for girls jeans but guys jeans aren't made small enough, so i generally have to buy the guy-cut jeans for girls.

i really like chip and peppers jeans, evisu and diesel are nice.

the diesel blame jeans are just about perfect.

levi's are classic.

what I actually where are alot Gap khaki's cut off and ripped and painted from farm work. J-crew jeans, levis, dkny jeans.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

You know, in my inebriated state, after posting I thought "oh no, I've given myself away as obsessive about the jeans I wear". Then I thought "nah, they're Mac users, I know I won't be alone!"

Close. The correct line of thinking goes like this: "This is an internet forum, so even though I'm alone, there are other people on the forum that are even worse screwed up than I am."

Quote:

Actually, I think I posted the wrong thread topic but I'm too busy today to rectify the situation. The jeans thing is kind of a side issue of something else I've been thinking about lately - namely, my attitude to various material items I purchase. There are some things where I will only buy certain brands or must have the best money can buy. Clothing is one, computers (obviously), anything to do with sound or music - no expense is spared.

Other stuff, I don't give a fig about. ... fridge ... matching cutlery and crockery sets ... cars

So I think that's what the thread was meant to be about (which material possessions matter to you or something like that).

I don't think I can ever be that concerned about any specific type of item. The things I will not get stingy about are the ones I touch most. Clothes, desk, computer equipment, work chair, bed, whatever accessories and devices I carry with me. I, too, could not care less about matching crockery sets. I could care about a car, *if* it is fun enough to drive. If it isn't fun, it's just transportation and I will not care about the specifics.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i;ve found finally jeans that fit me. dkny. so i'm stuck with them.

long enough, no butt, so they are shaped for me. i really really like when jeans ae not too short.

and good that i got some spare pairs of jeans with me, in ireland and uk most clothes start from sixe 8 = big..
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    CK jeans, relaxed, no trendy frills, and I get them from outlet stores. They just fit me better than Levis and other brands I've tried.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I really dig Lucky jeans, but I'm plagued by the fact that somebody somewhere has banned stores from selling 36" length for someone with a 34" waist. Apparently this is just inconceivable for someone to be 6'6" and not have a 42" waist. I digress...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My favorite pair of jeans are a pair of Lucky someone bought me for my b-day a couple of years ago. Damned if I'll ever pay more than $30 when I can get a perfectly acceptable pair at Old Navy for $20 or less (if you go at the right time).

Spending a lot of money on clothes is among the most insane things I can conceive with my mind.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

As for Levis, it's nothing but 501's, even though I like the look of the latest designs.

And all the best jeans are BUTTON FLY!!!!

Zips are for losers. Or for people with severe coordination problems.

Ding Ding Ding!

As for Zipper co-ordination problems, that's probably one of the best arguments for button fly.

Something about Mary has a scene that some may find familiar in this area.

501s are all I've worn for years.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I have used zippers for about 2 decades and my wang is scratch -free.

What is the advantage to button-fly?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Ever since I put on about twenty pounds I've had the worst time finding good jeans, but I'm starting to lose weight and can't wait to be a 32-34 again. Anyway, the best pair of jeans I ever owned were a pair of gold tab levis I found in the garbage. I might even still have them as a tribute to how great they were. It was a sad day when I finally blew out the ass in em.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Brand jeans got rather expensive here. When I visited the US, I always bought some jeans (typically Levis 550). I think I paid about $30 then. Here, I didn't see Levis or similar brands below 70 Euro...

I once bought a pair of black Boss jeans (Their main factory outlet is rather near). I didn't see nor feel much difference compared to the no-name jeans I buy nowadays.