rental applications - any lawyers here

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
is it commom for one to have list amount of credit card debt and numbers of the account?

when they run a credit check can they see how much you owe or will thye just see your points and rating?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    It's a little unreasonable for them to have you list your credit card numbers and debt individually since, to answer question 2, credit checks (including ones done for rentals) usually give very detailed info. So either way they are going to have it. Maybe they want to find out if you will try to lie about it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    thanks giant. well i don't have a problem telling them my debt, it's just the account numbers that i don't think are their business. thye want my bank account nmber too. i do i know they aren't going to use this ans steal my identity
  • Reply 3 of 6
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

thanks giant. well i don't have a problem telling them my debt, it's just the account numbers that i don't think are their business. thye want my bank account nmber too. i do i know they aren't going to use this ans steal my identity

You don't.

The waiter at a restaurant, for example, can copy your card info as well as retain a copy of your signature too.

Or, most of the time your "password" is your mother's maiden name or last 4 digits of your Social Security number.

Guess who's father robbed him of $4000 because he knew both of the above info?

All in all you aren't in too much risk as far as percentages, but it's good to keep an eye on your accounts twice a week if not daily.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    What he said ^

A coworker of mine was recently the victim of some minor identity theft. Someone used his info and credit card to set up a fake atv sales website. It really drove home the importance of only doing business with reputable companies and individuals.

As for the form, sometimes management companies and landlords just buy pre-printed forms with those questions on it. You might be able to get by without putting the credit cards on there and letting them just get the info on a credit check.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Often the practical reason for asking for account information is to verify that they have the correct report, and that you are who you say you are. You should know the information that appears on your report so it serves as further verification that you aren't lying about who you are.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    some renta application want you to put account numbers, some don't. this landloard didn't want it. it's the first time he's renting a place