Apple bullies another small company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.adam-audio.com/professional/

(click on Professional Monitors)

The Aluminum monitor was originally called "The Apple" because the companies name is ADAM. Get it? "Adam's Apple". Now it seems our favorite "fruit" company has complained thus a new name will have to chosen.

How am I supposed to support Apple Computer vs Apple Records if they turn around and do the same thing. With that in mind hope Apple Records juices Apple Computer for millions. I can't stand hypocrisy.

Reminds of how Real Networks sent a cease and desist letter to the legal of Real Basic telling them to stop using "Real" in their name. This crap has just gotten out of control.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Unfortunately, US trademark law requires that you aggressively and proactively defend your trademark, or it lapses. So there is an active disincentive to "cut slack" as far as potential infringements go.

However, most such defenses rarely go past a C&D letter. The Apple Records case was unusual in that Apple Records actually went to court and got Apple to settle - meaning that the merits of the suit wouldn't have to be considered by the judge (and also meaning, in Apple Computer's case, that they wouldn't be run into the ground by legal fees).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    You know I was thinking that myself as I wrote this. Trademark law pretty much stipulates that you must engage in "warfare"

Oh well it wasn't a big deal to ADAM so I guess that's fine. Maybe if I come up with a cool name I'll win a pair.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Oh oh was that a pun. Double entendre? Pear?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    why not just call it the APL, it would sound the same but would squeak through the copy right test...And what about apple records...

sounds to me like a parable I heared as a youngster in sunday school - A rich man forgives a pesants 10,000 debt, and the forgiven man continues to hold his meighbor to a $1.00 debt, the rich man hears of this and re-activates the debt and has him tossed in debters prision
  • Reply 5 of 12
    many people have now heard of ADAM, due to this little escapade.

nice PR for almost no cost.

sharp looking gear.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

many people have now heard of ADAM, due to this little escapade.

nice PR for almost no cost.

sharp looking gear.

Great sounding also from what I hear. True though they are getting exposure and that never hurts.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

[B]why not just call it the APL, it would sound the same but would squeak through the copy right test.../B]

*ahem*

APL

APL

APL

APL

APL (Hey! My alma mater!)

APL

APL

APL
  • Reply 8 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    They should call their product BHC, "Butt Head CEO." (Tell me someone else gets that. Carl Sagan? Anyone?)
  • Reply 9 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Description

"The Steven P. Jobs" is a small, unique active monitor that is dedicated to a maximum in acoustic performance for applications requiring an attractive monitor with a small footprint.

It uses a brand new ADAM A.R.T. tweeter for frequencies above 2.2 kHz, providing breathtaking authenticity in the reproduction of music and speech. It is an ideal desktop solution for enthusiastic professional and hobbyist audio engineers and multimedia designers in search of no-compromise equipment in their A/V set up either at home or work; and, it is equally well suited for any post production room, home studio or mobile recording facility.

I've sent off my name suggestions...those will look nice with a silver iPod Mini....
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

They should call their product BHC, "Butt Head CEO." (Tell me someone else gets that. Carl Sagan? Anyone?)

Loud and clear BRussell!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*ahem*

APL

APL

APL

APL

APL (Hey! My alma mater!)

APL

APL

APL

This still would work because this APL isnt an acronym, just a name and I dont think any one on your list makes speakers...

And something tells me that pork farmers in australia will not give a damn either way...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Couldn't God sue apple? after all the fruit was His thing, just ask adam what happens when you eat the apple...