Bad driving habits...

neoneo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not talking about eating or making phone calls while driving. I'm talking about the driving habits that put everyone on te road in danger i mean the drivers trying to fight with each other. The kind where one guy is trying to shove the other guy off to the shoulder.

I just remembered that about two months ago, when my Mom was driving me to school, and when we were turning, a guy that was behind us decided to pass us, and when we were even, he started "pushing" our car towards the cars doing the other way. He was ahead of us, blocking the left side, so that we couldn't turn, and if we would've tried to go left (that's where we needed to turn), he would've tried to slam into us. He was doing that until it was unsafe for him and he thought that the on-coming cars could hit him. Then he finaly turned left, and my Mom had to do a U-turn, because we turned right a little bit. She turned very fast, and i was afraid that we were gonna roll. All of the oncoming cars were starting to honk the horns. When we finaly went where we were supposed to turn, my Mom decided to get revenge on the guy, and we zoomed past him, with only 5 inches between his and our car. When we stopped at the stoplight, he rolled down his window, and started yelling something, and "you bitch" was the last thing he said before my Mom rolled up all the windows.

I think that what the guy was doing, was kinda uncalled for...

If a person is driving above the speed limit, that doesn't mean that they are trying to be rude...

This thread is not a flamebait!!!

Peace, everyone...

Plase post your opinion about that type of drivers, and share a story if you have one.

-Neø ----->

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Hmm. Isn't this the same Mom who enjoys street racing? Tell her to give that up if you're truly worried about bad driving habits.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

Methinks the troll doth protest too much
  • Reply 4 of 55
    neoneo Posts: 271member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Methinks the troll doth protest too much

please define "troll"

who are you calling a troll? audiopollution?

-Neø
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neø

please define "troll"

who are you calling a troll? audiopollution?

-Neø

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

comedy gold.

please feel free to type out your treatise on why street racing isn't considered bad driving.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    *Gets behind a flame proof wall*

i'm serious, please anyone define "troll"...

-Neø
  • Reply 7 of 55
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

troll

v.,n. 1. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To

utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable

responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase

"trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream

"trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a

likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post

that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look

even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to

the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate

troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See

also YHBT. 2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1;

regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a

newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to

annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by

the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic

at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly

creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming

characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of

life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." 3.

[Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS

students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab

policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves

lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower

category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing

some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See

also Troll-O-Meter.

Back on topic, ask your mother to relax before driving. I have hypertension and I know how agitated drivers can become. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that...
  • Reply 8 of 55
    thank you talksense

i seriously didn't know what exactly the word "troll" stood for

------------------------------------------------------------------------

i used to be sort of a troll on the forum called TechIMO, a PC Overclockers' forum, until i was warned. I changed my ways, and then i changed my name to what it is right now, and tried to get along with the people. Everything was fine, and i got along well and they treated me like a part of a family. That forum is alot like AI. The only thing that they didn't like, was that i am a Mac user. But there was one person that i didn't get along with, and her name is NeoStar. Before i changed my name, they were calling her Neo, but afterwards, i was the one called that name. She was kinda mad at me for "taking" that name, and we hated eachother. One day i called her an alcoholic more than once, and her friend, who is a moderator banned me.

I still don't have the guts to ask her to let me back in, but i will send her an email during the summer vacation, when i don't have any homework.

-Neø
  • Reply 9 of 55
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Looking up to your parents and all that is important, especially at your (stated) age. But as you get older, you may discover that your parents are not right about everything.

In your Mom's case, I think you should ignore all her examples of how to drive properly, and how to interact with other drivers (hint - "my Mom decided to get revenge on the guy" is at best borderline psychotic behavior for an adult).

Although... it's just about right as a richly shallow fantasy life for a teenager still too young to drive (especially the street racing part).

The more you post, the less you look like you are who you say you are. If so, carry on though! As Elvis Costello sang long before you claim to have been born,

"I used to be disgusted,

now I try to be amused".

68k truth train, anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 55
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I think the geometry in the story just doesn't work out.

OK, suppose that Neo's alleged mom's alleged car slows down, closes down to the centerline, flashes a turn signal, ready to make a turn. There is enough space to turn before oncoming cars are at the intersection.

Then someone decides to pass from the left, which is - or is it? - unexpected.

Then Neo's alleged mom doesn't slam the brakes as a reflex and wait for the obstacle to clear, as about every non-fictional sane person would do. No, she drives on, and has to veer right, since the other car blocks the way left.

Then the other driver drives on to the left, since he is worried that oncoming cars might hit his car?

If I have the correct mental picture, at this point Neo's alleged mom's alleged car is between the offending car and the oncoming cars.

Quote:

I think that what the guy was doing, was kinda uncalled for...

If a person is driving above the speed limit, that doesn't mean that they are trying to be rude...

Peace, everyone...

This is actually pretty good trolling. Keep it up, kid.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Hmm. Isn't this the same Mom who enjoys street racing?

Ah! Brilliant! Good memory.

Can't wait until we find out who or what you really are Neo. But there's something not quite right.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    The thing that I dont understand, as a relatively new driver (2 years) is that I always follow the speed limit while no one else does, I know I am doing the right thing but damn, it is humiliateing when you are crusing at exactly the speed limit of 45 and some blue haired ole' woman blows by ya and flips ya the bird.

WHile I respect and honor the hard work they do in the most rotten situations, police seem to be the worst offenders, they will go like a bat outa hell and hit the siren only to blow through red lights, I understand that they do this to arrive unannounced at some calls, but I see this all of the time, surely this isnt that common of a practice.

But the one that takes the cake for me when it comes to rude and unsafe driveing is the guy who i saw shaveing with an electric shaver and talking on the cell phone while steering with his elbow, damn he sure has faith in his allignment, I dont want to be near him when he goes into the s curves...

And lastly, Neo, props on admitting that your mom drives you to school, most guys would never admit to that.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Hmm. Isn't this the same Mom who enjoys street racing? Tell her to give that up if you're truly worried about bad driving habits.

It's better to street race than it is to shift lanes by turning your head, rather than using the side mirrors.

Oh darn, someone's trying to race a slow car. . . Personally, when I accelerate under half-throttle I make it to 60 faster than most folks do when they're flooring it. Speed is dangerous, not street racing per se. Stop being such a puritan moron.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Relax people. I don't see what's so horrible or trollerific about the topic, so cool off. Take it at face value and relax a bit. Let's just talk about the topic and not worry about what a troll is, or carry baggage in here from other threads.

My pet peeve: singnaling as the person is making the turn. They're warning signals, people! That means they're used to warn people of what you'll be doing! It doesn't count for much when I can already observe that you are turning, and now I'm not wondering why you're slowing down or stopping in the middle of an intersection.

I once saw two guys merging into one lane to get into the Lincoln Tunnel. Neither would yield, they just tried to stare down the other. They crawled towards one another at about 2 miles per hour until they gently smacked fenders. If it were done at high-speed, a game of highway chicken, it wouldn't have been so funny.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    my boyfriend played gameboy while he was driving. once, at least once.. it was fun to watch.

and i can't understand how he could drive while i was doing something fun to him. i would never have been able to drive if we had our roles switched ...
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

[snip]

And lastly, Neo, props on admitting that your mom drives you to school, most guys would never admit to that.

[/snip]

i admit to that 'cause i'm not a guy....

stop assuming that all Mac users are boys...

-Neø *very offended*
  • Reply 17 of 55
    i also admit to being a troll whenever i want to, but i started this thread was with a rather peaceful intention.

i like AppleInsider

-Neø
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's better to street race than it is to shift lanes by turning your head, rather than using the side mirrors.

Oh darn, someone's trying to race a slow car. . . Personally, when I accelerate under half-throttle I make it to 60 faster than most folks do when they're flooring it. Speed is dangerous, not street racing per se. Stop being such a puritan moron.

Do you always jump to wrong conclusions? That could prove fatal for you one day when the guy you're speeding past decides to turn left when you thought he'd just continue on his snail-pace forward motion. You cannot assume that other drivers on the road are consumate driving professionals such as yourself.

The street is for driving, not racing. I've taken my car to many autocross and track events. On the street, I deal with the pace. I may be a puritan in your eyes, but I'll also be the one with less tickets and what I'd consider to be a greatly reduced risk of injury to myself and others.

We know you have a nice fast Mazda. Apparently faster at 1/2 throttle than most cars out there. Is it so important to you that you continually mention it?

Also, I take it that you have the ability to see the blind spot in your side mirrors? Those U-Haul mirrors must look a bit strange on an RX-7.

Still waiting for:

1) Neo to explain why her Mom's street racing is not dangerous, especially in light of the fact that her mom wanted 'revenge' on the other driver in this alleged incident. Level-headedness seems absent, as does the ability to deal with a traffic situation in a normal way. Hauling that smokin' Cherokee to high speeds on a city street seems like a recipe for disaster.

2) Neo to finally unveil herself as a 40 year-old man.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I thought you were supposed to turn your head rather than using mirrors only. I'm pretty sure that's what I was taught.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    The only time I know of that you're supposed to use your head to see is when backing up, and you put your hand on the passender headrest and trun the upper part of your body around to the the window. But if your mirrors are lined up correctly, you should be able to see just as much as you could if you turned your head around