[n00b] How to make a screenshot

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A really N00b question: hoe do i make a screenshot in OS 10.3???

Just got my mac 5 day's

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Roman

A really N00b question: hoe do i make a screenshot in OS 10.3???

Just got my mac 5 day's

The Apple/cloverleaf button next to the space bar is called "command" key.

So, press command-shift-3, you'll hear a shutter sound and a numbered file will appear on the desktop, named Picture 1.pdf and so on. It will be of the entire screen.

Alternatively, command-ctrl-shift-3 instead puts the fullscreen capture onto the clipboard, no file, so you can paste it elsewhere, say Photoshop.

You can take a smaller rectangular screen capture by pressing command-shift-4. The cursor changes to a crosshair. Just click and drag a marquee and release and it'll create a file on the desktop. If you only want it to go to the clipboard, again, hold ctrl by itself right before you release the selection.

You can take precise screen grabs of specific windows only, by command-shift-4 and then hitting the spacebar once. Then you'll get a camera cursor and as you mouse over a window it'll hilite it. Mouse click to make a capture of that window to a file. (Or else hold ctrl before clicking to capture to the clipboard only)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    romanroman Posts: 7member
    Tnx

And yes i will buy a book

But why it's makeing a PDF and not a JPG file?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    .pdf is the default image type for the system. That's why when you go to print, you can save the file as a .pdf as well. Everything the OS draws on screen is essentially a .pdf created on the fly.

There are a number of ways to get a .jpeg from the screenshot. You can use the Preview application to open the screenshot and then export the file as a .jpeg. There are more advanced ways of doing this, of course, but this is a simple start.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Try the Grab app under Apps-Utils.

Dobby.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hey Roman, thanks for posting... but questions belong in Genius Bar.

Moving!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    rara Posts: 623member
    Try this:

Apple Menu > System Preferences... > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts

That will give you a long list of keyboard shortcuts.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Paste "Shortcuts for taking pictures of the screen" into Help Viewer's search box.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm an old pro, but I just learned that using the control key will route your screenshot to the clipboard. You learn something new every day.