IBM Power 4+ CPU announcement

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This looks Promising.

This week IBM will announce the pSeries 650 "Regatta-Mi," an eight-way server that uses its new 1.2GHz and 1.45GHz Power4+ processors.

One of the reasons why IBM can cut prices to the bone with the pSeries 650 is that the Power4+ chip at the heart of the machine is based on a single chip module implementation of the Power4 processor that has been dramatically shrunk using a new 0.13 micron copper/SOI process.

The smaller Power4+ chip uses less voltage, generates less heat, and is about 267 square millimeters in size even though it has a slightly larger shared L2 cache (1.5MB compared to 1.44MB with the Power4). The dual Power cores on the Power4 and Power4+ chips share this L2 cache.

The original Power4 was only available as a multichip module (spanning from two to eight processor cores active, but with four to eight cores physically in the MCMs), and each Power4 chip was 414 square millimeters in size, built using a 0.18 micron copper process. The bigger chip had a much lower yield, ran hot, and had a lower clock speed.

The Power4+ comes in 1.2GHz and 1.45GHz clock speeds and will probably be available soon at higher speeds in the MCM configurations for the 16-way pSeries 670 and 32-way pSeries 690 servers. The Power4 ran at 1GHz, 1.1GHz, and 1.3GHz."

<a href="http://http:://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/28025.html"; target="_blank">IBM Power 4+</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Wouldnt it be nice if Apple could get ahold of some of these for the Xserve?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by JCG:

<strong>Wouldnt it be nice if Apple could get ahold of some of these for the Xserve?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Does anyone know if this would work? How much effort would it be to have OS X running on these?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by JBL:

<strong>

Does anyone know if this would work? How much effort would it be to have OS X running on these?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If they have a port running on x86 I guess it's not too hard to have one for a PPC platform.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Actually, I recall some linkage in one of the longer threads that indicated All POWER CPU's can run PPC code without special provisions. Apparently, all POWER CPU's can enable either a Power or PPC instruction set. I don't know the technical jargon, nor did I really understand what was going on, but that seemed to be the implication.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Actually, I recall some linkage in one of the longer threads that indicated All POWER CPU's can run PPC code without special provisions. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Just nitpicking. I don't think it is _all_ POWER chips. The original ppc601 was both a PPC and a POWER chip. Then they diverged for awhile. The POWER3-series & POWER4 series are back to running as either a POWER or a PPC I think.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nevyn:

<strong>

Just nitpicking. I don't think it is _all_ POWER chips. The original ppc601 was both a PPC and a POWER chip. Then they diverged for awhile. The POWER3-series & POWER4 series are back to running as either a POWER or a PPC I think.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 601 implemented some extra instructions so a compiler could be made available, but I doubt it implemented the entire POWER instruction set (which would be Amazon+PPC)
  • Reply 7 of 26
    The Power3 and Power4-processors are fully compatible PowerPC-processors. They are 32/64-bit in the same way as PPC970 are. Apple shouldn't have any real problems getting OSX to run on Power3/4 powered systems if the wanted.. especially if they want OSX to run on 970-based systems.

My guess that Apple have been running OSX on Power-based systems for a while. Maybe just to have the opportunity to see how OSX runs on 64-bit computers.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    would it be possible by this upcoming EXPO

-walloo
  • Reply 9 of 26
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    This is interesting. If the price of these chips are reasonable, and they can run PPC code, then maybe the powermacs and Xserve will be getting the full Power4, and the 970 will be reserved for iMacs and Powerbooks.

Would the improved cooling of the the current Pmacs and the high power power supply be able to run a Power4?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The Windtunnel can power four dual core Power 4+ CPUs.

The new Power 4+ and the 970 share the same fabrication plant, FWIW.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    The Register article clearly points out that the Power4+ starts out at 10,000 dollars on the low end and goes up to 125,000. Plus the server sits in a 8U space. I doubt that Apple will ever put one of these things in a xServe. It would be too hot and too costly.

There is no way that Apple could compete with IBM and Sun in this market segment.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    [quote]Originally posted by shawk:

<strong>The Windtunnel can power four dual core Power 4+ CPUs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How much power does a Power4+ use?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    [quote]The new Power 4+ and the 970 share the same fabrication plant, FWIW. <hr></blockquote>

Didn't know that the PPC970 was already in production. Thanks for the scoop. &lt;--alert for the sarcasm impaired.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    [quote]Originally posted by jante99:

<strong>The Register article clearly points out that the Power4+ starts out at 10,000 dollars on the low end and goes up to 125,000. Plus the server sits in a 8U space. I doubt that Apple will ever put one of these things in a xServe. It would be too hot and too costly.

There is no way that Apple could compete with IBM and Sun in this market segment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If Apple can't beat them, join them! That is, license Mac OS X Server to IBM.

The AMD Hammer runs 32-bit code, or 64-bit code using a 64-bit switch.

The Power3 (and onwards) runs 64-bit code, or 32-bit code using a 32-bit switch.

The kernel has to have provisions to send the switch when running 32-bit apps/libraries/whatever.

The hard part is writing drivers for a new northbridge to accomodate the chip.

I imagine that Apple has had Mac OS X running on Power3 and/or Power4 prototypes for a while, though.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 26
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    According to <a href="http://www-916.ibm.com/press/prnews.nsf/jan/FDFB9EA6426E29DD85256C6E0050F233"; target="_blank">IBM's press release</a>,"The IBM eServer p650 is competitively priced, starting at $29,995 for a 2-way configuration[12]. Planned availability for the pSeries 650 is December 6, 2002."

I guess that would mean they have been manufacturing the cpu's for a while now, since the server's will be available 12/6/02. Just wondering if the cpu's are being made @ the East Fishkill, N.Y. facility? If so, looks like their fabs seem to be coming along just fine.

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by jante99:

<strong>The Register article clearly points out that the Power4+ starts out at 10,000 dollars on the low end and goes up to 125,000. Plus the server sits in a 8U space. I doubt that Apple will ever put one of these things in a xServe. It would be too hot and too costly.

There is no way that Apple could compete with IBM and Sun in this market segment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didnt see the chip in the article, just the servers. As I understand it you dont just buy the hardware when you buy an IBM server, you buy a service package as well. Add to that the min config has 4 GB of memory, and over 200 GB HD, 2 processors, etc...and you have a lot of $ in the production of each computer. Also, if IBM can make these in a volume to meet the PowerMac/Xserve market, then the price per chip would come down as they produce and sell in volume to Apple. The question then comes is how does this chip compare to the G4 and 970 in per unit cost in volume.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The 7455 @ 1gHz is rated at 22 watts. The Power 4+ @ 1.25gHz is rated at 35 watts per processor.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    I think price will be the determining factor. I do not believe that the Power4 chips are used in any machines besides IBM's own, so I do not beleive there are public documents citing how much the individual chips cost. Any way of finding out?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    [quote]Originally posted by shawk:

<strong>The Windtunnel can power four dual core Power 4+ CPUs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

280W? That's kind of a stretch.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Also, no altivec/VMX. That may not be a problem for a server but it certainly would be in an Apple pro tower.