iTMS open in UK, France, Germany

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

C A N A D A

?!?

last time i checked, canada is NOT in Europe. I sure hope you werent expecting anything today.
  • Reply 122 of 159
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Even the Apple website in the US is currently inaccessible. There's a buying frenzy going on at the moment.
  • Reply 123 of 159
    Now the world needs the EU music store, which is apparently coming in October, plus Canada, Japan, and good ol' Aussie, (Americans: it's pronounced "ozzi"). :P

So yeah... m.
  • Reply 124 of 159

Since Apple said they would be in countries (other then the US) by the end of the year, introducing the UK, France and Germany stores now beat that promise. I believe these stores came early because of competitive pressures from Napster, Sony et al.
  • Reply 125 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Since Apple said they would be in countries (other then the US) by the end of the year, introducing the UK, France and Germany stores now beat that promise. I believe these stores came early because of competitive pressures from Napster, Sony et al.

Both Sony and Napster are available in Canada so I doubt that. Apparently the three euro countries represent 23% of the music sales. So when you take on the 40% the US represents, Apple now covers about 60% of the music buying public. It probably just isn't worth for them to rush into any other markets. That being said, I no longer care when iTunes comes to Canada. I'm sick of waiting and will happily download my music for free (and legal)
  • Reply 126 of 159
    I sent an email to the CRIA (Canada's RIAA) and this was the response I promptly received:

CRIA is 100% supportive of and has actively encouraged iTunes' launch in

Canada. All communication to date has been between iTunes and the music

publishers. For more information, please contact the Canadian Musical

Reproduction Rights Agency (www.cmrra.ca).

So, it looks like I directed my hatred towards the wrong agency. Damn greedy music publishers!

• Reply 127 of 159
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [edit: Looks like MiMac posted this link on the first page of the thread. ]

Speaking of music publishers, the Guardian is reporting on a breakdown in negotiations [attr: MacSurfer] with some independents who don't like the terms of the deal for iTunes Europe, and who accuse Apple of giving the majors a better deal when they said they wouldn't.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Both Sony and Napster are available in Canada so I doubt that. Apparently the three euro countries represent 23% of the music sales. So when you take on the 40% the US represents, Apple now covers about 60% of the music buying public. It probably just isn't worth for them to rush into any other markets. That being said, I no longer care when iTunes comes to Canada. I'm sick of waiting and will happily download my music for free (and legal)

Ya I dont really care if ITMS comes to Canada either anymore. I mean there is already Puretracks, Sony and Napster here so I dont know whats keeping Apple. Oh well, Im just glad I live in a place where downloading is legal. Now only if there was a little maple leaf emoticon.
  • Reply 129 of 159

His Steveness at the introduction. (Ummm. Do you think there was to be another country in the mix? The bubble behind SJ doesn't seem to represent a country.)
  • Reply 130 of 159
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

His Steveness at the introduction. (Ummm. Do you think there was to be another country in the mix? The bubble behind SJ doesn't seem to represent a country.)

This is the EU's flag...

By the way, where did you get the photo from? Are there more them? I'd like to see the slides concerning the planned car kit(s).
  • Reply 131 of 159
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    OK. ignore my previous posts, got the thing working

Verrry nice, time to flex the plastic
  • Reply 132 of 159
    Oops, sorry for my ignorance. The photo was on the BBC website. Haven't seen any others so far.
  • Reply 133 of 159
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Very odd that as of now there have been no news reports on E*TRADE via CBS MarketWatch, Reuters Company News, Business Wire, PR Newswire or any of the usual avenues for this kind of thing.

I'm only basing this on E*TRADE's portfolio view if you own AAPL which lists Apple and industry specific news. So far, not a peep.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    Most of those sites have published reports by now. PR Newswire was one of the first. Reuters just published a report as did CNET. Apple shares will close at a new 52 week high by the end of the day.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    Oh, I know, but usually E*TRADE is a bit better about this. I assumed the portfolio news is supposed to be fresh so as to allow the casual investor to make informed (if impulsive) trades the same day.

I just think "'Early Bird Pricing' for FileMaker Developer Conference" isn't quite on par with "Apple Launches Several iTunes Music Stores in Europe" as far as hot investment information is concerned.

(I know it shouldn't be the sole information source for decision making).
  • Reply 136 of 159
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Loving iTMS UK

Downloading The Little Mermaid Soundtrack.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Ive downloaded 3 songs from UK store. I must say, Im not really into this whole MP3 thing, but I thought I'd give it a try,

I DL a couple of the Cure songs, old favourites, but think they sound dry, dull and lifeless - from the cure no doubt! nostalgia I say, so I download a song from a CD I've just bought, "Dead letters" by the rasmus, the track "In My Life"..... WTF. Really WTF???

I always thought people who complained about MP3, AAC, WMV were just perfectionist morons whith nothing better to do. But now Im in complete agreement with them, and my hi-fi system only cost £400. "Yamaha Pianocraft E400". Thats hardly state of the art, but just good low-midrange stuff.

Im afraid Apple won't be getting many of my £'s.

And what about Parity with the US store? Not a chance. Couldn't find many many tracks that are available in the US, but not in the UK. I wanted to get some Dr Feelgood songs by Motley Crue, No way, but there is "Skid Row". Skid fucking row, Unbelievable.

• Reply 138 of 159
    Update/correction: The news of the new iTunes Music Stores was filed/buried under the "Yahoo parries Gmail; online VP bets; Net retail roundup" headline.

I hate the media...
  • Reply 139 of 159
    Quote:

LOL, I thought they were just playing with me in Outsider
  • Reply 140 of 159
    A quick Question, when iTunes came out in the US, I could browse the store, but not buy anything, but I remember there was a little 30 second preview button, but it seems to have gone now? (Havn't used iTunes for a while)