IBM Power 4+ CPU announcement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I don't think any one here seriously thinks that this new Power 4+ processor will end up in an Apple branded product. I do believe the salient point is this is a dual core processor currently being manufactured on a 0.13µ processor.

Let's see, <a href="http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/rdmap/"; target="_blank">IBM's roadmap</a> for the PowerPC lists the next generation as having;
    • 1+ GHz

• Multicore Superscalar

• SMP Capable

• Integrated SIMID Engine

• Rapid I/O

• n-way Crossbar Coreconnect

• Low-k dielectric 0.13 - 0.10µm

IBM has been working on SIMID, see the 970.

IBM has been manufacturing on a 0.13µm process, see the G3 & now the Power4+

IBM has SMP capabilities developed, Powrer4, etc.

That leaves Rapid I/O and n-way Crossbar Coreconnect. Wonder how much time and resources they have been spending on this???

Any guesses when this processor will appear??

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 26
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think all of IBM's recent G3 processors (the CX, CXe, FX) use coreconnect for internal on die connections. Not sure about the 970 or Power4, but I wouldn't be surprised. RapidIO may be slated for a future 7XX series PowerPC. I can see one with VMX and RapidIO servicing the iBook and iMac lines.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>I think all of IBM's recent G3 processors (the CX, CXe, FX) use coreconnect for internal on die connections. Not sure about the 970 or Power4, but I wouldn't be surprised. RapidIO may be slated for a future 7XX series PowerPC. I can see one with VMX and RapidIO servicing the iBook and iMac lines.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Would an n-way Crossbar Coreconnect be the same? If so, check off one more tech already developed.

You think a multcore superscalar processor would be used in a G3. I was thinking the next generation would be high end, especially if the pipelines were extended slightly.

Oh, I forgot, I was thinking the next generation PowerPC on the roadmap wouldn't be in the 7XX series, maybe a 8XX series.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 26
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    [quote]Originally posted by strobe:

<strong>The 601 implemented some extra instructions so a compiler could be made available, but I doubt it implemented the entire POWER instruction set (which would be Amazon+PPC)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm. Perhaps it had traps/exceptions or something to allow the full POWER instruction set to work transparently to the user. I couldn't say. I just remember rooms full of IBM RS6000s with 601's inside. I never heard complaints 'xlc says no POWER instructions available' or anything like that. Shrug.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Crossbar CoreConnect is not the same thing as CoreConnect; all the current embedded PowerPC SoCs are based on buses.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>Crossbar CoreConnect is not the same thing as CoreConnect; all the current embedded PowerPC SoCs are based on buses.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, add n-way Crossbar CoreConnect back to tech not yet implemented along with Rapid I/O..

Still, any guesses/inside information when this chip appears.