Pedro the Lion's new album

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I love Pedro the Lion, I am a huge fan. Their new album, Achilles Heel is very good, definitely worth checking out (though not as good as their 2002 album, Control, which is absolutely amazing.)

Anyhoo, I was poking around the achilles-heel.net site and found this lovely picture.

It isn't surprising, just nice to see.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    heeey I'm looking into getting it... but the new wilco album is here soon... wilco... pedro the lion... wilco.... pedro the lion... btw have you seen the austin city limits lineup yet?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Already got Wilco. (Don't worry, anti-piracy nuts, I also have it pre-ordered from wilcoworld.com)

Get both.

I don't spend money on computers, or clothes, or nice wine. I spend money on music.

Other good stuffed released recentlyish.

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

The Streets - A Grand Don't Come Easy

Lali Puna - Faking the Books

Clutch - Blast Tyrant

Lambchop - Aw C'mon/No You C'mon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    bastard! when does it hit shelves? I'm thinking of going to waterloo and um trying to get it heh. Maybe I should have pre-ordered it ..

I don't know about pedro the lion anymore... maybe I've changed I liked options and Priests and paramedics but the whole album is sad... maybe its because my ex liked them so much i don't wanna think about them anymore

I spend all my money too on music

I really like that new Kings of Convenience

aaand does anyone know if that Iron & Wine cover of such great heights is going to come out somewhere?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Priests & Paramedics is greatness. And yeah, Control is all sad, I love it. Cynical as hell.

A Ghost is Born comes out June 22nd. You can still preorder from wilcoworld.net or amazon.

Quote:

I really like that new Kings of Convenience

I haven't heard it, I will check it out.

I really liked Quiet is the New Loud.

Quote:

aaand does anyone know if that Iron & Wine cover of such great heights is going to come out somewhere?

It's on the Such Great Heights EP. (Amazon)

I only very recently got into Iron & Wine, great stuff. The fiancee hates it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Hey I like your taste in music Groverat! Lots of "better than the last" albums came/coming out... I'd count the new Wilco, Streets and Lali Puna in that group. Haven't heard the new Pedro but I liked the direction of "Control". Got to see Pedro last year with Spoon in Lawrence, KS at the Bottleneck. I'll have to check out the others in Groverats list (though I'll likely skip Clutch, lost interest shortly after "Speedway").

Here's some others I've been listening to in the newish/upcoming category that I'd recommend as been worthwhile (imo):

Cranes - Particles and Waves

Systems Officer - EP

Auburn Lull - Cast From The Platform

Remote Viewer - Youre Going to Love Our Defeatist Attitude EP

The Ghost - Pen Is A Weapon

Les Savy Fav - Inches
  • Reply 6 of 12
    If you didn't like Speedway then you and I have something in common.

The band has gone in the completely opposite direction since then.

From the 2000 track "The Great Outdoors!"

"remember when I told ya that I was a samurai/the fact of the matter is that was a lie

there were some other things that I'd rather not recall/ya'll can blame it all on the alcohol"

They have lightened up considerably, very fun stuff instead of that embarrassing pseudo-speedmetal crap. Give "Subtle Hustle" a download and give them Maryland boys another chance.

I hadn't even heard of Lali Puna until a week or so ago. I love The Notwist and someone told me about LP.

I'm afraid I've only got 3 more albums left on the June budget, and the Beastie Boys have got one of those last slots. I need to be careful.

This has been a great year for music. I am very appreciative.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ok I went out and bought the pedro cd... I don't know what to think yet... I want more you know "a mind of her own - winner never quits" I mean thats what my favorite songs of all time is why I mention that, and I guess why I continue to keep buying their cd's heh.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I have no idea whatsoever who Pedro the Lion or any of the other bands mentioned are...

I even thought it was all made up, like Seltzer Pickle-Puss and his French Nun Monkeys or Porcupine Factory or The Greased Zipper Sniffers...

Guess I'm old...so ollllld....
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Give "Subtle Hustle" a download and give them Maryland boys another chance.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote:

I hadn't even heard of Lali Puna until a week or so ago. I love The Notwist and someone told me about LP.

Lali Puna is great. They have a couple albums prior to Faking The Book... worth checking out, all expensive imports of course. You might also look for Ms. John Soda.... its a Lali Puna/Notwist collaboration. Really most of the glitch-pop stuff from the Morr label is pretty good.

Notwist has had an interesting career. Don't know if you've heard any of their earlier material but they actually started out as a quasi-metal band! Bizarre considering where they're at now. I think my favorite Notwist is "Shrink". It's sort of a transitional album with a bit of a emo-ish feel to it.

Quote:

I'm afraid I've only got 3 more albums left on the June budget, and the Beastie Boys have got one of those last slots. I need to be careful.

Have heard the new Beastie Boys and wasn't terribly impressed. All the political posturing probably didn't help in my case though. Either that or I'm jaded from listening to too much Paul's Boutique in my youth.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq I even thought it was all made up, like Seltzer Pickle-Puss and his French Nun Monkeys or Porcupine Factory or The Greased Zipper Sniffers..

DUDE! No way! You're into the French Nun Monkeys too!!!?? They rule!

• Reply 11 of 12
    It does exist... just like sugar free maple syrup.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    got the new Wilco today... and um I'm really Really REALLY liking it anyone else get it?