**MWSF 2002**

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It's time for all of us at AI to get back to what we do best: predict what is in store for Apple's future products. So let's start the wild speculation and get Future Hardware started!

As we all know, there have been several rumors about the G5. The speculation has heated up regarding a possible MWSF announcement of PowerMac G5s. Others indicate that the G5 introduction at MWSF is not feasable, and thus we will see the new 7460 G4 aka Apollo. So let's see what could play out.

The 7460 I believe is .13 SOI and seems like it would be more geared to the Powerbook with its low heat dissipation. It should clock at 1-1.333 GHz and I believe it does support DDR RAM. I think that it is more likely that this chip is intended in the next revision of the PBG4 and is merely a back-up plan for the desktops.

The PowerPC 8500 seems to be running at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6 GHz with a 400 MHz bus and other features like Rapid Transport.

I for one think we will all be surprised. It's Steve's intention to get the G5 out come January, even if this means the systems wont ship till Febuary or March. I honestly feel Steve will surprise us all and unleash the beast.

Here's what should happen for MWSF:

Keynote: The lights are dimmed down and all you see is the faint image of a DJ with a turntable in the back. A hush over the crowd. Music starts. The crowd recognizes the tune as a hip-hop beat, but most of them are wondering what the heck is going on. Is this the right room? A faint Apple logo is in the back and the music continues .....Roll Out.....Roll Out.....the corwd is bouncin! Steve comes out to the music and the lights come on! Finally from the back enters Ludacris and begins to rap to his new single "Roll Out". Steve grabs the mic, and says "We're rollin out the G5!!!" Pandimonium breaks out!! The PowerMac G5 is rolled out onto the stage to a huge applause.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The G5 would be cool, but I'm still not convinced of a MWSF launch.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    What do you think of my keynote though?
  • Reply 3 of 56
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Hopefully the g5 will support the 200MHz bus of the 750fx only double pumped.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I will say, for now...

1. G5's

2. LCD iMacs

3. Some new iApp, Probebly related to Photos.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    Keynote begins with Demo of iPod and all it can do, and how many have been bought, yadda yadda yadda.

10.1.1 is demo'd and released

I believe that the powermac g5 will be demo'd at MWSF.

Noticed i said "demo'd" don't hold your beath kids....it'll be a complete repeat of last years 667mhz and 733mhz models. bakeoff, then...."oh these will be shipping in early feb.

Now MWTokyo....thats the LCD iMac Annoucement. but another tread

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 56
    G5

iMovie 3

LCD iMac

Lots of demos of already released products.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    NOPE...

for those of you wishing for both the G5 and the LCD iMac.....ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.....

Two major, huge things like that in the same keynote? no way....
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Would like to see the G5s...

When do you think we will see an updated iPod? I am waiting for a 10 gigabyte version...but I would guess that would be a good year away...WAY to soon for MW.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Keynote: The lights are dimmed down and all you see is the faint image of a DJ with a turntable in the back. A hush over the crowd. Music starts. The crowd recognizes the tune as a hip-hop beat, but most of them are wondering what the heck is going on. Is this the right room? A faint Apple logo is in the back and the music continues .....Roll Out.....Roll Out.....the corwd is bouncin! Steve comes out to the music and the lights come on! Finally from the back enters Ludacris and begins to rap to his new single "Roll Out". Steve grabs the mic, and says "We're rollin out the G5!!!" Pandimonium breaks out!! The PowerMac G5 is rolled out onto the stage to a huge applause.</strong><hr></blockquote>

From what I can tell, this is a very interesting idea for a Keynote. However, seeing Steve do a rap is right up there with "Monkeyboy". Just kidding Steve!!

Anyways, I actually see a G5 rollout this MacWorld. Want to know why?? Look at the designs of the current PowerMac models: cleaner, crisper, more well defined. The PowerMac is due, and I think that the G5 is going to be it.

And I think he is going to pull "And one more thing". A G4 iMac. No, I kid you not. I think this is going to happen because he said that he wated for DVD burning to come to the masses. And since iDVD runs only on G4 archetecture, that would have to mean that the iMac gets that speed boost.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    My MWSF 2002 prediction:

G5, LCD iMacs: No.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Nice to see you john
  • Reply 12 of 56
    I think Jobs will focus on new iMacs, them poor ones are in need of a major overhaul as bad as the Airbus 300 aircrafts (sigh).

No Final Cut Pro X or iMovie, are they to show up by then there would be alphas/betas at Hotline/Carracho by now. Have yet to see any.

So, new iMacs, speed-bumped G4s (over 1GHz and so on) and something software related.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    does anyone here think iBook or PowerBook will see anymore of a bump or a change?? while i love the iBook i keep hoping it will come out in another color than white....

i am going to echo though the same things others have said as to what we will see:

* G5 Power Macs announced, but speed bump G4s available shipping today

* a revised iMac (good chance LCD)

* X revison (more than a bug update)

* new app - iPhoto

complete guess: MWT will bring us another "device" and whatever major hardware that does not show at MWSF
  • Reply 14 of 56
    [quote]Originally posted by macway:

<strong>I think Jobs will focus on new iMacs, them poor ones are in need of a major overhaul as bad as the Airbus 300 aircrafts (sigh).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure that's a good comparison. A300 planes are no more in production since the mid-eighties, and european compagnies don't use it anymore.

They need as much an overhaul as the Mac Plus.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote] does anyone here think iBook or PowerBook will see anymore of a bump or a change??<hr></blockquote>

Not at MWSF. I'd say MW Tokyo at the earliest - and that would be when they were unveiled, not necessarily when they'd ship. The 7460 appears to be the processor of choice for the next revision of laptops, and that isn't due until spring.

[quote]while i love the iBook i keep hoping it will come out in another color than white....<hr></blockquote>

Apple appears to be moving away from colors.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    snow - the new beige...

anyway, steve has doen the impossible - he has conditioned us NOT to expect too much - a far cry from a mere 6-8 months ago.

my thoughts:

lcd imac... i dunno. they're in a tough spot. they just released speed-bumped models, BUT in old colors/enclosures, which screams that they released them just to have something to show off, but still clear inventory at the same time (hey, does anyone think the snow doesn't look as odd anymore, or is it just me?)

g5... i hope so. it seems like the imac needs to be boosted to g4, as a previous poster mentioned, to bring "dvd creation to the masses." aside from the whole "i" versus "pro" monikers, apple has relied on the chips to separate the model lines. and if they put a g4 in the imacs, i gotta think they'll have to put a g5 in the towers, just to make the line in the sand very clear.

ipod... yes, we will be very sick of ipod when the keynote is done.

10.1.1 and 9.2.2... non-issues. they will be secret releases - steve just doesn't waste his keynote time on 0.0.x releases anymore (did he ever?).

maybe another consumer device? could we see a simple camcorder? just the basics, hideously easy to use. will never fool anyone for commercial quality video, but gives those imacs with dvd-r's in them (fingers crossed) a cheap alternative to making cheezy home videos compared to those pricey models with a thousand buttons from sony (didn't his steve-ness say they were targeting sony with their "digital hub" philosophy?). hey, with apple having entered the "widget" world once more with the ipod, anything is possible.

well, just about two months, and then we'll know.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: rok ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 56
    MWSF 2002:

- Likely a new iMac, G4 processor, speeds up to 733 mhz.

- New Powermac, hopefully G5, but I don't think so.. That's more something for MWNY. Probably new G4's, same case, speeds up to 1.2 ghz.

- iPhoto

- Another 'breaktrough' digital device?
  • Reply 18 of 56
    My prediction is that by the time MWT ends, thePowerMacs will use G5s and the iMacs will use G4s. I'm not sure if they'll be updated at MWSF or MWT, but I think they'll both get updated at the same time. If the iMac gets updated first then the low-end consumer models will have the same CPU as the high-end professional models, and if the PowerMacs get updated first then the low-end is two full CPU generations behind high-end. Neither of these scenarios is impossible, but IMHO both would just look bad.

Oh, the iBook will stay with a G3 until the PowerBook can use the G5 (or dual G4s, whichever comes first). But I really don't feel like speculating on when such an update might happen.

As always, this is pure speculation and is subject to being flat out wrong
  • Reply 19 of 56
    First half of 2002:

PowerMacs: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 GHz G5

Powerbook: 1-1.333 GHz Apollo 7460 G4

iMac: G4 (maybe up to 900 MHz)

iBook: IBM's new Sahara G3 700 MHz-1 GHz
  • Reply 20 of 56
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    New iMac in glossy, silvery white to match the iBook and new AirPort Base Station.

New displays in the glossy white, with the addition of FireWire ports.