in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's a good time to own AAPL!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    whoa
  • Reply 2 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo no ones gonna acquire Apple if they let themselve get too spendy
  • Reply 3 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I recommended AAPL to my stock club last year when it was $14/share. Unfortunately the SSG said it was overvalued (????????) and my stock club is 99% PC IT people so they panned the idea.

I showed them the stock price last month and their jaws practically hit the floor. We could've doubled our investment in just a year when our mandate is to double every 5 years.

Damn PC/IT people and their lack of faith in AAPL.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'm one of those guys who bought at 14.

I was thinking about selling, but I think I'll hold. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Damn PC/IT people and their lack of faith in AAPL.

making money in stocks is about seperating your personal convictions and focusing on the only mantra that matters. Profitability. I'd rather lose/win money on my own that listen to some analyst/forcaster spit banal logic that costs me money.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I bought in at 23 and people called me crazy. I personally am gonna hang on til the next quarterly results. I expect $35+
  • Reply 7 of 27
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

making money in stocks is about seperating your personal convictions and focusing on the only mantra that matters. Profitability. I'd rather lose/win money on my own that listen to some analyst/forcaster spit banal logic that costs me money.

Ever wonder why they are called BROKErs? and if they were that damn smart on stocks, they would be makeing their own fortunes and not working as advisors at the local brokerage house.

Moral of the story, do your own homework and manage your own money.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    yahoo finance:

MSFT:

Last Trade: 27.32

Trade Time: 4:00PM ET

Change: \\/ 0.085 (0.31%)

• Reply 9 of 27
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Yes, but do you realize how many times Microsoft had to split their stock to reach that price? You can't compare the two.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Yes, but do you realize how many times Microsoft had to split their stock to reach that price? You can't compare the two.

You'd be amazed at how many people don't get that. Not their fault though, didn't pay attention in econ

I sold my 90 $14/share when it was at $28. Now I only have 60 $19/share to hold on to. I was thinking about buying back again from the money I made on my $14/share but I'm afraid it's near a peak. \
  • Reply 11 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed. We're in the pre-WWDC runup, the 50min MA *JUST* missed crossing the 200min MA downwards midday, and the 200-day is coming up on the 50-day MA rapidly. Since these are the usual lemming sell indicators, I give it a week or two, which would be... WWDC. It always crashes after a big event like that, to boot.

I think we'll be lucky if it sustains 30 in two weeks.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I sold my 90 $14/share when it was at $28. Now I only have 60 $19/share to hold on to. I was thinking about buying back again from the money I made on my $14/share but I'm afraid it's near a peak. \

Yeah, I almost dumped my AAPL for the summer given the history of techs sagging in the summer months. Pretty glad I never got around to it.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Nah, I think $30 is the low end for a while to come. I can see $35-$40 by/right after WWDC and back down to 30 for a while until Macworld SF.

I know...it's about "30 times earnings" already...but regardless.

$40-$50 is not out of the question in 6-9 months.

But a Microsoft/Beatles and/or a Sony-BMG (+Beatles?) type of thing, plus $50 WinPods might pull the plug on it all...

...but I'm in it for the long haul with Apple regardless. Bought low and will sit on it until doomsday.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

We do our own analysis, hence the [b]S[b]tock Selection Guide, or SSG (one of many tools in the NAIC box). We use Valueline and other references to help analyize a stock along with public information to guide our buy/sell recommendations. Unfortunately for me, the SSG regarded AAPL as overvalued (which I couldn't understand considering the book value of AAPL is $~12/share). This, along with the heavy PC/IT loading led the group to vote against acquiring AAPL.

[edit]

Another thing our group didn't consider was the smash success of the iPod. In our defense, the iPod was a Mac only product when I did the analysis. It wasn't until the iPod went cross platform that demand skyrocketed.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

I, as a M$ share holder of 2...4...5, wail...10, OMG again...20 shares, am aware of the splits.

Cant compare oranges and 'Apples'
  • Reply 16 of 27
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    I got 10 shares at $17.50 way back in the day (pre-split) for my Bar Mitzvah. So I basically got 20 shares at $8.75. I'm making about 375% on that.

• Reply 17 of 27
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

I got 10 shares at $17.50 way back in the day (pre-split) for my Bar Mitzvah. So I basically got 20 shares at $8.75. I'm making about 375% on that.

that isnt very shares though. someone that bought at that same price with 100 shares would be making a killing.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I'm one of those guys who bought at 14.

I was thinking about selling, but I think I'll hold. We'll see what happens.

Me too!!!

• Reply 19 of 27
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    Yup, my friends thought I was nuts buying it at $14.76. That's some massive earnings for a year's time.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Sell a little of it now, a little more if it goes up again a fair amount, etc, just not enough to run out. Buy a little again on a drop and continue. IMO the stock is on a bit of a bubble and will be corrected soon. Might as well cash in a tiny bit while the going is good.