Anyone using Omni Outliner??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm curious to see what Omni does with this product. They have a hefty update to this program coming. Anyone here using the version that came with your Mac?

Once I buy my mac i'll be deciding between apps like Notetaker, Omni Outliner and probably a couple of others like Devon and Circus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I use 2.6.6 daily. Can't really think of anything else I'd want except maybe alarms or some kind of iCal integration.

...But I'm of the opinion alarms or reminders should be attachable to any piece of text or image or file on the Mac - system-wide.

Select any text from any application, choose Add Reminder and set the time. When it "goes off" the document opens in it's application and the text that was selected is highlighted in a color with an optional alert with custom reminder text/notes.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Thread on OmniOutliner

OO3 is a big upgrade. Attachment support is just the tip of the iceberg as far as new features go... there's a bunch of new import/export options, printing options, and new ways to integrate Outliner into your workflow. There's been a lot of improvement under the hood, including some stuff that'll really make your propeller-hat spin if you're an XML geek -- but that kind of low-level work requires a lot of thorough testing. And we're doing a major overhaul of the UI... which means we need to spend some extra time to make sure we do it right.

On top of that, the Outliner team has been affected not just by the focus on OW5, but also by a handful of staff shakeups over the past year, so the schedule has slipped a bit. (Only one "key exec" left, though... and since Wil was a UI designer, his involvement was mostly done with by the time he left.)

There's good news, though: our first round of external testing just started, and we'll be expanding to a public beta (or possibly jumping straight to the full release) in the not too distant future. We're close enough to that light at the end of the tunnel that you'll probably start hearing from our marketing people soon.

Rick Roe

The Omni Group | icons.cx | weblog

I can't wait! I'll probably go heavy on all the Omni stuff when I get my Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Anyone here using the version that came with your Mac?

Wha? Is this a new thing?

My G4 is almost 4 years old now, but I don't remember getting any Omni programs when I bought it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Since I got this Powerbook a few weeks ago I've gotten the habit of keeping both a to-do list with OmniOutliner and a calendar with iCal. Both work great. The to-do list is large (maybe 20 tasks and an average of 2 subtasks per task), so I'm glad I used OmniOutliner instead of iCal. It's a great help to be able to organize things into subtasks, and to be able to use N priority levels (5 in my to-do) where iCal can only do three.