G5's used in the development of XBOX 2 games

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out this link from IGN, they state that M$ has shipped slightly modified G5s to developers to be used to develop XBOX to software!

Edit: It also states that XBOX 2 will run some sort of PowerPC processor!

Link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

Check out this link from IGN, they state that M$ has shipped slightly modified G5s to developers to be used to develop XBOX to software!

Edit: It also states that XBOX 2 will run some sort of PowerPC processor!

Link

I wonder if that's where the 3ghz models went?

Also, if it's a ppc chip in x2 couldn't we just cluster them a la big mac???

Also, Apple should run with this in an advertising campaign. When Microsoft needs hardware in a hurry and 21st century design, who does it turn to? Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Verrrrry old news. We've already discussed this in length search for Xbox and you'll hit couple threads.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Wiiiicked old news, but cool anyway.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    my bad
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by zpapasmurf

my bad

No harm in talking about it. So sweet to rub it in the PC gaming world's noses (although the G5 are running a modified Windows NT).

At least the PS3 (whatever it's called) and the XBOX2 will both use PowerPC...(not sure about Nintendo's plans)
  • Reply 6 of 20
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Also, [IBM] should run with this in an advertising campaign. When Microsoft needs hardware in a hurry and 21st century design, who does it turn to? [IBM]!

• Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

At least the PS3 (whatever it's called) and the XBOX2 will both use PowerPC...(not sure about Nintendo's plans)

So is Sony going to attempt to use the PPC chips in it's "Cell" plan?

The whole "Cell" idea sounds to me like a bunch of hype that will have very little payoff and practical uses.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Sorry, I stand corrected (I'm an XBOXer only so hadn't followed Sony's progress that closely)

(This article isn't "new" either, I'm just clarifying what Sony's doing...)

Quote:

Sony to Invest $1.13 Billion Into PS3 Chip

Sony said today that they will be investing $1.13 billion into the fabrication of 65nanometer microchips. These chips will be using 300mm wafers and are going to be the core of the ?Cell? technology, which will power the Playstation 3. Some $340 million of that total will go towards production lines at IBM's East Fishkill, New York facility. Out of the rest, $500 million will go toward upgrading Sony's Nagasaki lab, and $293 million on a Toshiba plant in Oita, South-west Japan. Toshiba is itself investing $397 million on that facility. The three firms will together produce up to 15,000 units per month, and IBM say test productions from all three lines will commence during the first half of 2005. This investment is set to take place at the start of Sony's next fiscal year (April). The "Cell" microprocessor is being jointly developed by IBM, Tohsiba and Sony; but meanwhile IBM is developing the PowerPC- based CPU to be used in the guts of the Xbox 2. With both platforms aiming to use 65 nanometer chips it will certainly be a head to head battle when both units are released.

Time to buy some IBM stock methinks....
  • Reply 9 of 20
    if only i had the money
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Yeah $90.38 is pretty prohibitive.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra Originally posted by TednDi

Also, [IBM] should run with this in an advertising campaign. When Microsoft needs hardware in a hurry and 21st century design, who does it turn to? [IBM]!

Except that Microsoft didn't buy RS/6000 workstations, it bought Power Macintosh G5s. This is not to put down IBM or anything. It is, however, to put down those weak of mind who believe that a computer is only a microprocessor. It would be interesting to count the number of IBM chips in a G5 compared to those designed by Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    We all knew that when se saw the infamous photo of the G5's in the truck being delivered to Redmond...
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I want a copy of that modified Windows NT that runs on them (just to have for a few things - I hate Windows)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    With the G5's going in the X2 and PS3, are we going to see more games for the mac? Are we just going to see games for the G5 and no other PPC processor? I will probably get the PS3 but, I am just wondering if I should wait to see if the mac gets more games.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Except that Microsoft didn't buy RS/6000 workstations, it bought Power Macintosh G5s. This is not to put down IBM or anything. It is, however, to put down those weak of mind who believe that a computer is only a microprocessor. It would be interesting to count the number of IBM chips in a G5 compared to those designed by Apple.

Ooooohhhh, so Microsoft bought PowerMacs, not G5s, gotcha.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

With the G5's going in the X2 and PS3, are we going to see more games for the mac? Are we just going to see games for the G5 and no other PPC processor? I will probably get the PS3 but, I am just wondering if I should wait to see if the mac gets more games.

As a direct result, no.

But the sale of more G5s could drive prices down & scale performance up which could eventually lead to more Macs being sold which could eventually lead to more Mac games being developed.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

(Only X2 is getting "PowerPC" chips from IBM, not Playstation 3. I don't know what the PS3 uses, doubt it's actually PowerPC. ("G5" is an Apple-only brand name for IBM's 970 chips, variations of which go into various products under other brand names).

And this should all amount to nary an extra game for the Mac, it's all quite different as far as GPU etc but I suppose it's a bit easier to port(?)
  • Reply 18 of 20
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You'd probably find 1 by IBM, 1 cooperatively designed by Apple & IBM and manufactured by IBM, 1 designed by Apple based on components from other people and manufactured by somebody else, one by ATI or nVidia, and a whole lot of chips made by other companies. Apple is primarily a system integrator and software maker.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    With the games running of a ppc maybe some mac os x emulator with come out. Except it dosn't emulate.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

(Only X2 is getting "PowerPC" chips from IBM, not Playstation 3. I don't know what the PS3 uses, doubt it's actually PowerPC. ("G5" is an Apple-only brand name for IBM's 970 chips, variations of which go into various products under other brand names).

And this should all amount to nary an extra game for the Mac, it's all quite different as far as GPU etc but I suppose it's a bit easier to port(?)

IBM is doing much of the design work for Sony on the Cell, and it will apparently have a PowerPC core in addition to an array of coprocessors. At least that's what the scuttlebutt on the web tells us. As for the skeptics who think its just hype, consider the massive computational power of the current GPUs and imagine that kind of thinking applied to a general purpose processor array. Its not going to run current software especially quickly (just like a GPU doesn't), but if you build your software appropriately it will be a revolution in computation.

But its unlikely to help Mac game development at all. Zero, zilch, nadda.