any news on a new iSight? iSight2?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
just curious if there's been anyword about a second gen iSight web cam/mic.

thanks,

RC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    I haven't heard any rumors about new iSights. What kind of improvements did you want?

My wishlist:

Built in light like the SightLight by Griffin Technology or at least a bundle deal.

A universal mount that does not involve double-sided adhesive tape.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Wireless would be nice.

and higher resolution/frame rates
  • Reply 3 of 17
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Built in light like the SightLight by Griffin Technology or at least a bundle deal.

Yeah the SightLight is really cool, but I always thought Dr.Bott made it?

Who knows, both Griffin and Dr.Bott sell it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Wireless would be nice.

and higher resolution/frame rates

Since the iSight is made for internet-based videoconferencing, I don't think higher resolution is a priority. The average broadband connection cannot handle the resolution so why make a high-resolution camera.

Until last week, I would've said that wireless will be too expensive for the iSight. But in the post-Airport Express world, anything is possible. A wireless iSight will be cool, especially if they can make it under $200.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I'd like Apple to conceive an iSight2 based on a CMOS dot-matrix instead of a CCD matrix, so that some electronics could be introduced behind the dots (6-7 transistors behind a dot would be enough) so that real-time massively parallel image processing could be done quite easily : I'm thinking about morphological operations, to reduce noise for better image rendering, or for obtaining the skeleton of the image in real-time, which can be useful too, or even to simplify the compression process and unload the CPU...

This kind of devices already exist in labs (they're called retinas) and function well!

Wireless would be sweet too, of course!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rara Posts: 623member
    Hmm... wireless iSight connected via similar means as Airport Express... tv-conferencing anyone?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I can already think of an application for wireless iSights: Wireless security cameras that can be placed anywhere. The signal will be sent to a hidden computer for hard drive based high-quality recording. This recording can also be monitored remotely though the internet. You could monitor your store/office or maybe your babysitter. Apple can even make an iApp: iProtect.

Otherwise, you can use the the iSight for videoconferencing or iMovie making while you wander around the house shooting your kid as he moves from room to room.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

I can already think of an application for wireless iSights: Wireless security cameras that can be placed anywhere. The signal will be sent to a hidden computer for hard drive based high-quality recording. This recording can also be monitored remotely though the internet. You could monitor your store/office or maybe your babysitter. Apple can even make an iApp: iProtect.

Otherwise, you can use the the iSight for videoconferencing or iMovie making while you wander around the house shooting your kid as he moves from room to room.

Then maybe an infrared receptive matrix could be a good point. Do you know if some dot matrices are both color and infrared receptive?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    but then... wouldn't the camera use up batteries just like that? especially if they were AA's My Apple bluetooth mouse already needs its batteries replaced every 2 weeks...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

but then... wouldn't the camera use up batteries just like that? especially if they were AA's My Apple bluetooth mouse already needs its batteries replaced every 2 weeks...

Yeah, it's always the battery. Apple could make so many cool things if they had better battery technology.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Wireless is a fun fantasy, but I don't see it as being very practical, or even very necessary. If the iSight changes at all in the next year I think it will just get a little smaller, maybe a different clip, and hopefully better low-light capability.

Where I suspect Apple will make great changes is in the iChatAV software. The way it handles audio now is good but could be much better. And some of the lighting problems could conceivably be corrected though software. Other things I'd like to see addressed are:

- improved compression/better quality video for slower broadband connections

- a 'streaming desktop' view

- one-way video chats

- multi-person video chats

Some of these features might require an unpdate to the iSight, but I think they may be more dependant on the capability of the user's computer.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    This is possibly a marginal call, but Apple could consider releasing iSight2 and iChatAV2 for the PC as well. While the financial margins are not as good as the iPod, it would give PC users another chance to think about the great stuff we have in Appleland, and provide some additional contribution to Apple's financials. In addition, Apple might get additional negotiating leverage over the manufacturers through larger scale, thereby reducing the unit cost. Finally, Macheads could continue to nag-market to PC users who adopt Apple video conferencing as a solution, giving Apple a bunch of free marketing.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Yeah, it's always the battery. Apple could make so many cool things if they had better battery technology.

They need to get behind fuel cell technology. Longer Battery life.

Perhaps they could encode better video into some QT revision. Not so jumpy. more real time. This would make me want one all the more.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    They could improve iChat compatibility with PC AIM
  • Reply 15 of 17
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McCrab

This is possibly a marginal call, but Apple could consider releasing iSight2 and iChatAV2 for the PC as well. While the financial margins are not as good as the iPod, it would give PC users another chance to think about the great stuff we have in Appleland, and provide some additional contribution to Apple's financials. In addition, Apple might get additional negotiating leverage over the manufacturers through larger scale, thereby reducing the unit cost. Finally, Macheads could continue to nag-market to PC users who adopt Apple video conferencing as a solution, giving Apple a bunch of free marketing.

I agree. I just posted over here (http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=43316) on the subject of iPhoto + iCamera.

I don't see any reason for Apple to NOT do things like these little hardware devices, tied to some cool desktop software.

iTunes + iTMS + iPod

iPhoto + iPhoto Store + iCamera

iChat + iChat VOIP Service + iSight

iTheater (iTunes-like replacement for QTPlater) + iTheater Movie Store + iPlayer (an iPod-ish, TiVO-ish video device)

Stuff like that.

I have thought, for a while, that Apple needs to re-defined itself less as a "computer" company and forgetting the debates about "Apple is a hardware company" vs. "Apple should become a software company".

Apple has some great expertise at the junction point between digital hardware and software that need not be relegated to simply personal computers. iPod is an example of this. There are others too. Apple seems to know how to bring people to what they want to do using software and digital hardware. Thinking of it this way, Mac is merely one example of how to do that.

• Reply 16 of 17
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I believe the future of the iSight is integration within Apple's Powerbooks and Monitors...A new technology to put the camera behind the screen (some sort of one-way mirror trick) and to track the users eyes so that you're always looking at the person to whom you are chatting. That will push the experience to the next level, since even directly above the monitor has you looking away...

Integrate it into TV's and build in an iChat client. Then Apple could have THE Killer App for the new age...A real video phone.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    make it under $99