Do you vote FOR a candidate or AGAINST their opponent?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
How often do you vote for a person you really want in office and feel good about vs voting for someone to keep their opponent out? I hear alot of "get Bush out" or "keep kerry out" talk, but I don't seem to hear alot of people talking about how much they actually like their candidate and why.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Right now (if I was of voting age), I'd vote for practically anyone to keep Bush out of office. Kerry is the most bland, Catholic Democratic candidate EVAR, but he's better than Bush.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    It depends on the situation. In this pres election, it's the lesser of the two evils.

edit: well, we'll see. nader is a possibility. you know, it's times like these where i really wanna run for president because all the candidates SUCK.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Always for the candidate. And this has to be stressed. With low voter turnout, I encourage those who feel their vote is wasted to vote for the best candidate.

Sure, the candidate won't win, but enough votes will make alternatives serious contenders in future elections - as will be demonstrated in percentage analysis of votes. One only has to look at democracies outside America to see grass-roots parties rising based on this idea.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    For a candidate would be viable if there were a proper, multi-party, proportional representation system in place in the US...but there isn't. So vote for whoever will f*** up the country the least.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    usually for , but this year against
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Always for, never against.