next iPod with airport and rendezvous technology?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
the new airport express points to a release of an iPod with integrated airport technology to sync,stream,connect from/to other peripherals. also, the iPod could be the remote control for a desktop mac with iTunes on it with this integrated technology. just a thought. what do you think?

edit: what about printing a music-list right from the iPod with airport express to the usb-printer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

the new airport express points to a release of an iPod with integrated airport technology to sync,stream,connect from/to other peripherals. also, the iPod could be the remote control for a desktop mac with iTunes on it with this integrated technology. just a thought. what do you think?

edit: what about printing a music-list right from the iPod with airport express to the usb-printer?

See: AirPort Express & (no) remote control...Am I wrong here?

I did a mockup too.

But I contend that the iPod and iPod mini must not be the remotes, but rather there should be an iPod-like remote that merely handles playlists and no actual music files.

1. If your remote is the iPod, then there is no remote if you or your partner take the iPod out jogging etc.

2. You are draining the iPod's battery so that by the time you want to go out to jog etc. with it, you've wasted half the charge. AirPort and display uses a lot of juice, not merely the harddrive - assuming the new iPod had airport and turned its drive off when being used as a remote.

3. You are needlessly exposing the iPod to damage and wear for duties that a far less expensive iPod-like remote could perform instead.

4. You'd have to charge the iPod eventually as per the normal frequency when used as a portable music player outside the home PLUS now all the time you use it as a remote. So it'll be recharged more frequently, making it even less available both as a portable player and as a remote. If you have a separate remote and iPod, each will continue to need charging at their respective frequencies (which is less frequent than if both roles are in one device.

5. iPod mini won't have AirPort for a while to come considering the current size of airport cards. And the regular iPods are as large as people want as it is, adding AirPort isn't going to make it smaller.

6. If you break, lose or get your iPod stolen or send it in for repairs you'd then also have no remote for listening to iTunes via your home stereo.

I can barely imagine iPods even getting wifi at all considering that you can't legally beam music to anyone you walk up to anyway. Plus, why sync with your laptop/Mac wirelessly when you are better off doing so when also plugged into the charger?

Let's not confuse the iPod's thumbwheel and its screen and menuing system for the iPod itself. Those features can conceivably be part of any number of non-iPod devices (some having nothing to do with music, per se).

iPod is a portable device for listening to digitized music ostensibly while outside/on-the-go (albeit in actuality plenty of home & office listening gets done while sitting!).

If anything, the development of AirTunes/AirPort Express signifies the desire (Apple's/Steve's) to unburden the iPod of it's role as an inside the home listening device. (And sure, unburden your wallet of a few extra bills ).

Why waste the iPod for listening inside when what you really want is iTunes being streamed to your stereo? An iPod-like remote with identical interface is what people want for at home.

I'd gladly leave my iPod in my laptop bag or jacket pocket and keep it's role purely for portable listening.

Regarding: "edit: what about printing a music-list right from the iPod with airport express to the usb-printer?"

Why? I mean seriously. You'd do that like once or twice if ever. I mean that might be great if you're using a PDA with pen input and you could print out notes and newly revised contact info or meeting data but considering iPod is merely a clone of info already on another Mac, with zero input ability (practically), why not print it from the Mac? Sorry, iPod printing is nearly an oxymoron and I pray it is ever thus.

Besides, we ain't there yet. If Apple could have made it all small enough to fit in the iPod, then the Airport Express wouldn't be the size that it is.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Recent Jobs Interview:

Quote:

NM: But the download and play model holds ? streaming, for instance, isn?t something you?re interested in doing at this stage?

SJ: "It?s not something the customers seem interested in doing. We haven?t seen a lot of interest."

• Reply 3 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    much needed improvement. I like the idea of a high/higer def video unit. with vpod like abilities.

play your video on the road record new stuff and edit it in the mac.

++++++++++++

secondly, or in addition to (as a seperate product)

a combined wifipod and gsm/gprs phone. with voice over ip. intergration.

take your phone on the road. hit a wifispot and automatically switch to cheaper coverage integrate the voice over ip with .mac.

roaming takes on a whole new meaning. chat away in the coffeeshop. listen to your tunes.

integrate it with boeing's new wifi on aircraft.

ooh. for the business traveler kick ass.

sync it with blutooth and isync and allow for the mobile desktop using remote desktop 2

++++++++++++++++

left field

voice recognition. to add the cherry to a happy sunday!!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    What about a product that would provide the screen for a video source in simple cool tinted (uv protected) White perhaps iglasses

the video stream could be connected to the next gen ipod and the video could then be viewed on the glasses. See through lcd? or on demand tintable LCD. the LCD could be turned up to produce a sun blocking opaque viewable area.

One cable perhaps branching off the headphones. Detachable so if needed the wire can be removed from the glasses and you could have your sunglasses without the wires for video.

perhaps wireless?

doubtful of chip size and bandwidth.

In NYC that little white bit of wire sticking out of someones jacket is a fashion statement. IPOD=Cool

perhaps you could have the other side of the LCD with changeable LOGOS

Default is 2 apples in the lenses- you could buy or download other simple icons.

i-glasses + IPOD= very cool

just a thought
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Like this?

movie of above

You need to either spend more time here or less time there.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Yes that's it

I can't be everywhere and I just got here!

• Reply 7 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Recent Jobs Interview:

theyre talking about subscription music store things. dont take it out of context.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The technology for the eye/pod is here today!!

apple could with very little innovation put video into the ipod and get the display to the glasses!! it would be so cool

http://www.microopticalcorp.com/

http://www.emagin.com/pressreleases/pr_010604.pdf
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

theyre talking about subscription music store things. dont take it out of context.

Ah, right you are. Sorry, I read it as download to the iPod as opposed to streaming to the iPod, but they are of course only talking about streaming to iTunes as opposed to buying the actual tracks.

I should work for the White House.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I wonder if Apple and Sony plan to release a PDA/phone together perhaps bundling into it the ipod. Perhaps that is why sony bailed out of the pda market.

If sony music will get along with it then Sony's atrac format can go the way of betamax. Apple is no almost the defacto standard for DRM. It would open up apple to the asian markets and perhaps allow them to itms japan. The sony/mc donalds alliance may be short lived.

What prompts me to say this is this link on the sony ericcson web site.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...0136&pid=10136
  • Reply 11 of 11
    That Apple mention is merely about the iSync connectivity. Apple has worked with many companies regarding this...Nokia, Siemens, Motorola, Palm...

Not a sign that Apple is releasing a phone or doing anything with Sony.