IBM's grid computing initiative

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IBM brings grid to software vendors

http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...bmgrids_1.html

This article from Infoworld shows why companies like IBM can make more makerting sense than being stuck to a niche. Apple came up with Xgrid and then decided to focus on releasing a version for medical research. I haven't seen any initiative like this which assists developers to 'grid enable' their applications in a simple way.

Where does Apple stand with the XGrid initiative? Will it catch people's attention?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Just occured to me that Apple could integerate XGrid into 'Tiger' and make it easier for all applications and end-users to utilize it. The Objective-C runtime is powerful and can be extended to utilize remote nodes. WWDC 2004 then...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Just occured to me that Apple could integerate XGrid into 'Tiger' and make it easier for all applications and end-users to utilize it. The Objective-C runtime is powerful and can be extended to utilize remote nodes. WWDC 2004 then...

That's my feeling too. It also sells more apple boxes and allows for obsolete hardware to be used to increase the performance of the new hardware. Also allows for the best games ever developed. Talk about overclocking. Try supercomputer speeds!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple definitely seems to be rolling out grid enabled apps. I expect that next year most of their Pro apps will support grid technology(Qmaster). Need more power? Bring more computers online.

I'm just curious to see what apps benefit the most from grid enabling and which don't. I think we'll know a lot more in a year. It's exciting to think about how this technology could change certain aspects of computing.