A little riddle!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A co-worker gave me this to ponder over.

"A man travels down a road, until he meets a crossroads. One Path leads to doom and destruction, the other Path leads to salvation. There are 2 dwarfs at the crossroad. You can ask one question only of the dwarfs. One dwarf will tell the truth, one will tell a lie. What question will you ask to determine the path to salvation."

(note: its the same single question addressed to both dwarfs, and you cannot go back down the original path, doh!)

I have the answer, but I won't spoil it for those that don't know.

Now here's the riddle I gave back to him

"A man travels down a road, until he meets a crossroads. One path leads to Hell, one path leads to Heaven. At the crossroads are God and the Devil. You can ask one question only to God and the Devil. Both answers will stay true to character. What question will you ask to determine the path to Heaven."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    go ahead and post the answer to the riddle, but make it a link to another site so nobody accidentally sees it.

BTW, is this open-ended? I can think of a lot of things to ask them.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    "What is your favorite color?"

"Blue, no yello..."

AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

(the dwarves tumble into the abyss)
  • Reply 3 of 23
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Why is it a man travelling down a road and not a woman?

Moral of the riddle: Men have freewill while women do not.

• Reply 4 of 23
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

go ahead and post the answer to the riddle, but make it a link to another site so nobody accidentally sees it.

BTW, is this open-ended? I can think of a lot of things to ask them.

1) I don't know of a site where I could link to the answer.

2) The first riddle is resolved with one question.

3) The second riddle is resolved with the same question, but it has some dire consequences (as long as I've logically thought it through correctly)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I can think of a lot of things to ask them.

... and yet you post none? Spit em out!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    "Does the left road lead to salvation according to the other dwarf?"

1)Pose question to truth telling dwarf and the left road does lead to salvation: the answer here would be No--thus go left.

2)Pose question to truth telling dwarf and the left road does not lead to salvation: The answer here would be Yes--thus go right.

3)Pose question to lying dwarf and the left road does lead to salvation: The answer here would be No-- thus go left.

4)Pose question to lying dwarf and the left road does not lead to salvation: The answer here would be Yes--thus go right.

So, Yes=go down the left path and No=go down the right path.

**New riddle**

Name five days of the week without saying - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday ?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

**New riddle**

Name five days of the week without saying - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Lunes, Martes, Miercoles, Jueves, Viernes
  • Reply 9 of 23
    ***new riddle***

What row of numbers comes next?

• Reply 10 of 23
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

... and yet you post none? Spit em out!

"What the hell are you doing just standing around at a crossroads?"

"Do you prefer tall women or dwarf women?"

"Can you hook me up with Snow White?"
  • Reply 11 of 23
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Here's an easy one:

What's larger than the universe, the dead eat it, and if the living eat it, they die?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    hey they haven' t solved mine yet.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

"Does the left road lead to salvation according to the other dwarf?"

1)Pose question to truth telling dwarf and the left road does lead to salvation: the answer here would be No--thus go left.

2)Pose question to truth telling dwarf and the left road does not lead to salvation: The answer here would be Yes--thus go right.

3)Pose question to lying dwarf and the left road does lead to salvation: The answer here would be No-- thus go left.

4)Pose question to lying dwarf and the left road does not lead to salvation: The answer here would be Yes--thus go right.

So, Yes=go down the left path and No=go down the right path.

I had to read this carefully, I think you got the answer to the first riddle, but a bit muddled! so different wording than I was given (I didn't get it myself)

The answer i was given was

"If you are the liar, point the road that will lead to salvation?"

This forces the lying dwarf to lie about being the liar, so he will point to doom, wheras the truthful dwarf will point to doom, because he is answering truthfull to the liars perspective. As both dwarves point to doom, you just need to go the opposite way.

However the really interesting riddle is the second one . Because, the Devil is not obliged to tell a lie IF telling the truth can trick you into the wrong path.

See how you resolve that one, and explain the dire consequence.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

..."A man travels down a road, until he meets a crossroads. One Path leads to doom and destruction, the other Path leads to salvation. There are 2 dwarfs at the crossroad. You can ask one question only of the dwarfs. One dwarf will tell the truth, one will tell a lie. What question will you ask to determine the path to salvation."...

I would whip out my laptop and hit mapquest
  • Reply 15 of 23
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Here's an easy one:

What's larger than the universe, the dead eat it, and if the living eat it, they die?

nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

(you are missing a 1 at the end)

and so on... oh and its impossible to get higher then 3...

re: dwarves

"which direction would the other dwarf tell me to follow to find salvation?"

go the opposite way

re: god/devil

you don't know who is who right?

and you can ask 2 questions total right? one to each?

hmmm... assuming the above queries are correct... there is nothing stopping the devil from changing his answer to force you to be unsure what the correct way is... (assuming that you can not be sure that the devil wasn't asked the first question...)

anything else?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

re: dwarves

"which direction would the other dwarf tell me to follow to find salvation?"

go the opposite way

Yeah this is the answer as I've heard it before. You only have to ask one dwarf the one question. Doesn't matter whether it's lying dwarf or honest dwarf, you go the opposite way.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well I will ask just one question to the dwarfs : " what the hell are you doing here".

I will be interested to hear their answers ... and I will came back from what I went : Heaven (or hell) can wait.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

(you are missing a 1 at the end)

re: god/devil

you don't know who is who right?

and you can ask 2 questions total right? one to each?

hmmm... assuming the above queries are correct... there is nothing stopping the devil from changing his answer to force you to be unsure what the correct way is... (assuming that you can not be sure that the devil wasn't asked the first question...)

Correct. You are only supposed to ask one question - addressed at both simultaneously, in keeping with the first, but the distinction doesn't matter.

Firstly, If God answers first, the devil doesn't even have to consider the question, he can point the other way to Gods answer. Confusion results, BUT, Agnostics (undecided) go to Hell according to the Bible, so you will be destroyed anyway.

Secondly, If the devil answers first, he can consider the answer that God will Give, if God is true to character. Again he can just point the other way, thus still creating indecision that leads to Hell anyway.

Thirdly, IF scenario 2 happens, CAN God tell a lie in order to save you? Ie. deceiving the Devil?. As the devil is not restriced, therefore there must be no such thing as absolute Evil, could it be therefore there is no such thing as Absolute Good? IF ultimately God wants you to find salvation, would he tell a lie IF his hand was forced?

Fourthly, Does this ultimately mean there is no absolute good and evil, just relatives. If so, then there is no God?

Fifthly. The dwarf riddle is an analogy of the real situation, but it is (intentionally)flawed, because it assumes the devil must tell lies. Anyone who presents it to you, smugly believing it is possible to trick the devil in order to be saved, is a [censored]
  • Reply 20 of 23
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Fourthly, Does this ultimately mean there is no absolute good and evil, just relatives. If so, then there is no God?

Or perhaps theology and philosophy are not so simple a riddle?