Is Tiger going to be a boring update?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There does not seem to be much buzz about Tiger?

No one seems to know anything at all?

Is it just going to be a bug fix update? or will there be new features?

I'm sure we knew more about Panther at about this time last year..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    No one knows anything before June 28.

And no, we didn't know about features in Panther this time last year.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    For some reason, I'm expecting Tiger to be a 64-bit OS, not just the 32-bit OS with optimized memory handling that Panther is.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Don't think it will be a boring update. I'm sure they have some good stuff up their sleeves. :-)

God (and a few others) knows what.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Well, like Apple said earlier they will be slowing down on making new versions os X, so my bet is there will be some cool stuff to keep us feature hungry people satisfied until the next update.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Boring? Ohhhh you mean like Panther. I mean what new features did end users get? Expose and a few UI tweaks? I think Tiger is going to be a huge update. The fact that no one has gotten any information bodes well. Just like aqua which came fron nowhere I expect Tiger to have features that amaze. Panther led the charge by focusing on internal features. Tiger should see those changes reach fruition with new and cool featues. Apple wouldn't let us down. Software is what they know.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Boring? Ohhhh you mean like Panther. I mean what new features did end users get?

I would go as far as saying that Panther was the first REALLY usable version of OS X. Also, being able to switch between users without 'Log-Out' first made a huge difference for me.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Well this WWDC better bring some big new things if the next update is a while off.

Although I can not image what? Expose did suprise me, and fast user switching is really useful for my wife and myself. Lets hope they've still got it..

I hope Apples focus is not swinging too much towards iPods and iTunes..

Any word on a stream?
  • Reply 8 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Boring? Ohhhh you mean like Panther.

Obviously , you haven't seen the new Preview app (with faster PDF browsing!) and the new fast user switching spiny-cube effect and the new Internet Connect icon, and umm...

Yeah, I'm waiting for Tiger, too.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    There was a *little* leaked info on Panther a few months before being shown at last year's WWDC, and word about Exposé leaked out just a few days before.

But there's just been practically nothing -- save a handful of almost ridiculously vaguely worded scraps from the rumor sites -- about Tiger. Apple has done a good job keeping the lid sealed on this one.

I'd expect some good stuff... new features, one or two considerable UI enhancements, a tiny dip into the waters of enhanced metadata, a slew of new and revamped technologies, and a host of many, many little better things (erase a CD from the Finder, hello?). But 10.5 is going to be the big one, one that pushes OS X to Longhorn's equal and beyond.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    When Panther first came out I thought it was a boring update too. Until I really started using it. Lots of little improvements, and expose blew me away. FUS couldn't have been more useful.

But Tiger should be the big one for new features. But I hate so say, maybe Apple will hold off on the meta-data file system until 10.5, just so that they can really show Microsoft how to really do it!
  • Reply 11 of 86
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Well, Panther was the first X version that made OS 9 feel really, really old to me. It is refined and the perfect base to build on. So much so that I am expecting updates to only come once every 2-3 years. But still, I am really excited to think what new features they will add.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    features like... a total finder rewrite? Usable ftp? Instantaneous iDisk operations?

I agree that Panther was the cat's pajamas. UI subtleties (easier on the eyes), FUS, rock-solid-stable(!), exposé, etc, made for a substantial improvement. The finder was better, but still sucks in a fundamental way.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Well, Panther was the first X version that made OS 9 feel really, really old to me. It is refined and the perfect base to build on. So much so that I am expecting updates to only come once every 2-3 years. But still, I am really excited to think what new features they will add.

Call me crasy but in 3 years, will it not be time for OS11, or OSXI?

Apple never usualy goes past OS/*.6
  • Reply 14 of 86
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'm going to miss the yearly updates. Lots of talk, speculation, new feature when it finally arrives. 2-3 years sounds so long \ It was like getting a new computer every year.

It was fun downloading the dev preview...loading it onto my brothers computer to test it, it working until I load it onto his main HD when it constantly crashes. Man those were the days. I have my own computer now, but it was still fun.
  • Reply 15 of 86
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Hmmm, what came with the Panther update? Let's see:

iChat AV

Tweaked Finder

* Create archive (.zip) files directly from Finder

* Labels

Disk Utility Rewrite

Expose

Fast User Switching

Mail updated

Safari updated

Preview updated

Journaled FS now default

Improved CMD-TAB functionality

Improved Font Handling (Font Book)

FAX send / receive built into OS

Improved printing to Windows shares printers

File Vault

V.92 Incoming Call Notification

Improved BlueTooth Support

XCode

Not bad for the $69 student price I paid for it and worth the $129 normal asking price, IMHO.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    the wizthe wiz Posts: 28member
    I myself am not expecting anything good...but hey, ya never know. Steve has a way of surprising us all.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Call me crasy but in 3 years, will it not be time for OS11, or OSXI?

Apple never usualy goes past OS/*.6

When Steve announced OSX, he said it would be Apples OS for the next 15 years or so - ithought i remebered 20, but that can't be right. How long has it been? 3 so far?
  • Reply 18 of 86
    How the hell could OS X survive for 20 years? 20 years ago, computers would take up a whole room. There's no way any OS would survive 20 years, or even 15 years
  • Reply 19 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Some of the 'boring' stuff can be pretty useful.

One area still on Apple's to do list is the whole recovery, repair and management issue.

I hope they get this area knocked into shape before adding more dubious features. I didn't buy Panther and don't want yearly paid major upgrades.

Anything that makes managing a mac a breeze (boring or otherwise) gets my vote.

Number one on the list has to be a way to undo absolutely everything (from trashing items to system updates) in a clean, safe and quick manner.

Replacing OS X components individually.

Safe web surfing (Deep Freeze style functionality).

Extending and improving software update to cover third party apps and management.

All the useful OS 9 functionality that has yet to return.

On the 'surprise' front I'd say that 'voice control' (of the quality that actually persuades users to use it and with multiple language support) has to pop up at some point but maybe not with Tiger.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921

How the hell could OS X survive for 20 years? 20 years ago, computers would take up a whole room. There's no way any OS would survive 20 years, or even 15 years

I'm tellin 'ya, that's what he said. OSX is Unix based, how old is that?