"Terry Jones' Medieval Lives"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is anyone else watching this on the History Channel?

Very funny (of course) debunking of the romanticizing of the Middle Ages.

I caught "The Knight," now "Outlaws.'

I love him superimposed into period paintings!

Jeff

ack-butchered medieval

Buon:

aah, fixed it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I enjoyed it when it was on UK terrestial TV. I was quite surprised at how reasonable peasants had it (apart from their diet of bland, super-boiled potage).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    it's a GREAT show!

cleese is doing a travelogue program as well. add to that palin's travels, and you have some of the smartest programs on TV.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Western European history never ceases to amaze me. First of all, there's just so much of it compared to the U.S, and I'm constantly shocked by the utter lack of concern monarchs could show for their subjects.

This show focused on some of the more quirky aspects of middle age life, like the city that gave absolute sanctuary to any criminal that could reach it's border.

And Jones' narration and paintings rocked!

I'm really looking forward to the History's Channel's Arthur thing on Sunday, although I know he didn't exist as we know him (if at all.)

On another Arthurian note-Keira Knightly as Guinevere:

Jeff
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I happened on this show last week, but only saw 2 episodes: kings and peasants. I really enjoyed seeing how the real peasant lived.

I studied a lot of European history in high school (including a rare AP class) and even travelled through Europe with my teacher, but this show shed some new light on the situation. I'm sure my old teacher would have loved the show had he watched it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I saw half of one of them, I really enjoyed it, wish I had seen more.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    they are showing 5 episodes in a row tomorrow morning (sunday june 20) at 11 am central time on the history channel.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Damnit to shit. I am in Houston and can't set my DVR!

FIE YOU TECHNOLOGY!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

they are showing 5 episodes in a row tomorrow morning (sunday june 20) at 11 am central time on the history channel.

sweet.