2x DVD-R Media?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been thinking about purchasing some more DVD-R media for my 17" iMac (with a 2x "SuperDrive"). Unfortunately, Apple seems to only be selling 4x and 8x media on their online store at the moment.

From what I understand, 4x and 8x DVD-R media will default to 1x speed in my drive. Apple's site says:

"A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x and 8x media at 1x, so to obtain the fastest DVD recording performance for your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend using 2x DVD-R media to write at full 2x DVD-R speed"

... So Apple recommends I use media they don't sell anymore.

As Apple appears to have given up on selling 2x media, am I basically doomed to 1x DVD recording from now on? That would really suck, since as far as I'm aware iDVD won't work with any external DVD-R device I could buy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clancy

I have been thinking about purchasing some more DVD-R media for my 17" iMac (with a 2x "SuperDrive"). Unfortunately, Apple seems to only be selling 4x and 8x media on their online store at the moment.

From what I understand, 4x and 8x DVD-R media will default to 1x speed in my drive. Apple's site says:

"A 2x SuperDrive writes to 4x and 8x media at 1x, so to obtain the fastest DVD recording performance for your 2x SuperDrive, we recommend using 2x DVD-R media to write at full 2x DVD-R speed"

As Apple appears to have given up on selling 2x media, am I basically doomed to 1x DVD recording from now on? That would really suck, since as far as I'm aware iDVD won't work with any external DVD-R device I could buy.

do you honestly use apple as your dvd-r supplier? just go to a best buy or something--they usually have good deals. in the future i'm going to order in bulk (100 at a time) cause i go through them quickly. the price is unbelievably cheap per dvd-r.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    clancyclancy Posts: 2member
    Quote:

do you honestly use apple as your dvd-r supplier? just go to a best buy or something--they usually have good deals. in the future i'm going to order in bulk (100 at a time) cause i go through them quickly. the price is unbelievably cheap per dvd-r.

I've looked at a few places around here that sell DVD-Rs (such as Future Shop, sort of the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy), but they only had 4x media for sale. Do you know for sure if Best Buy still has the 2x stuff?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

I've looked at a few places around here that sell DVD-Rs (such as Future Shop, sort of the Canadian equivalent of Best Buy), but they only had 4x media for sale. Do you know for sure if Best Buy still has the 2x stuff?

pretty sure, but i've never been one to care about burn speed. i jsut buy whatever is cheapest, and i'm already accumstomed to 1X burning from my now 'old' computer. i mean the msot it will ever take to burn a dvd is one hour (provided you've encoded everything ahead of time).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

I tried 4x and 8x dvd's on a 2x burner in an imac and had no problem. The burn went at 2x. I just purchased my dvd's at future shop when the spindle went on at half price. Total cost was less the 50 cents canadian per dvd.