• Reply 83 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

What is "get's"?

What is "redundatnt"?

What is "asuming"?

What is "base on"?

What is "post production"? Productions of posts? Or did you mean "post-production"

What is "ATi"? Do you mean ATI?

Correctly spelled/typed posts are your friend.

• Reply 84 of 436
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Those are typos. A typo is when one knows how to spell the word, but simply hits the wrong key by mistake. They happen to everyone from time to time, including me.

What I was objecting to was not a typo, but yet another egregious example of this insane trend of people intentionally placing apostrophes in the middle of words. It's not even a possessive/plural issue. Gets is a verb, for Christ's sake! If I intentionally spelled the word gets as "get?s" or "get&s" or "get!s", would that be OK? Would that be a "typo" too? There is absolutely no difference between intentionally inserting an apostrophe and intentionally inserting any other random character.

And yes Mods, I will keep doing this in the context of the open forum, since the problem is so appallingly widespread that pointing it out as it happens helps the hundreds who read it just as much as the original poster.
  • Reply 85 of 436
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

What is "get's"?

Thank's for helping me fix thi's stoopid error. j/k

No actually that was a typo. I make them frequently because I take my fingers off or homerow. I'm well aware of when to use an apostrophe and when not to. However tell that to my fingers though. Sometimes they just seem to want to write what they feel comfortable with.

I'm seriously considering switching to Dvorak. It quite literally pains me to realize everytime I type that the freaking inventor of "QWERTY" designed it to slow typing down. Well in my case he's pretty damn successful. I've never been able to crack 30WPM without a bunch of errors. We can't all be Kickahas'.

Quote:

And yes Mods, I will keep doing this in the context of the open forum, since the problem is so appallingly widespread that pointing it out as it happens helps the hundreds who read it just as much as the original poster.

Be careful about this. I will often read a post and someone will show incorrect word usage in one sentence but then get it correct in the next. It is only a problem if the person writing doesn't understand and continually makes the same mistake. One likely reason why you see apostrophe used in an incorrect manner is simply muscle memory during typing. Your fingers get so used to hitting the succession of key such as "'s" that you will inadvertently add it to words that should not contain an apostrophe. That's why checking your typing is good practice.
  • Reply 86 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

And "New media players already go for HD and 802.11g (Airport Extreme).".

What do you think ?

Well, these are existing products. I might even have one myself (or even more than one), no need to wait till Apple to invent.
  • Reply 87 of 436
    limtclimtc Posts: 82member
    I think the best hint is given by Apple, not kormac. Why does Apple insists of giving the Airport Express a big name like "Airport Express + AirTunes?" (and why not give a name to the wireless USB printing?) The answer must be fairly clear - AirTunes will be the key of Apple product, where in the future many products from Apple will be AirTunes compatible. I am going to bet one of them is iPod.
  • Reply 88 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Those are typos. A typo is when one knows how to spell the word, but simply hits the wrong key by mistake. They happen to everyone from time to time, including me.

I know what a typo is.

Quote:

What I was objecting to was not a typo, but yet another egregious example of this insane trend of people intentionally placing apostrophes in the middle of words. It's not even a possessive/plural issue. Gets is a verb, for Christ's sake! If I intentionally spelled the word gets as "get?s" or "get&s" or "get!s", would that be OK? Would that be a "typo" too? There is absolutely no difference between intentionally inserting an apostrophe and intentionally inserting any other random character.

I never said what they were doing are typos. Some might have been. Most were probably mental laziness or carelessness. Some might have actually not learned to spell it correctly.

If no one gets on your back over your all-too-human typos, where do you get off being so "unnecessarily rude" over apostrophes to the point of being obsessive about it (and always off-topic)? Even if an honest-to-God illiterate person does post, we are here to discuss what is being said, not how well it is written or typed.

Any misspellings or typos are the business of the poster, short of trollish, blatantly annoying typing styles. A simple PM lets you inform them and enlighten them on the nuances of English without smugly, condescendingly insulting them in front of the entire site. I'm not PMing you because you deserve being scolded in public, if you can call my posts that. You've made many flagrantly insulting posts before, with no regard to the other person, which really negate your otherwise excellent posts. Mods have made comments to you but seem to give you a very long leash since your posts are otherwise valuable and informative.

Let it slide.

I want to think of you as "that guy that knows his stuff and has good ideas about the Mac" and not "that frigging apostrophe guy"...

Quote:

Ditto.
  • Reply 89 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I want to think of you as "that guy that knows his stuff and has good ideas about the Mac" and not "that frigging apostrophe guy"...

John, I know I come across very brashly on this subject, but the destruction of the English language seems to be the main effect of the Internet. It just blows my mind that so many people do this thing with apostrophes everywhere. Seriously, even a few years ago you NEVER saw this, even from grade schoolers, but now it's absolutely rampant.

Thanks for the compliment and I'll try to continue to earn it, though "that friggin apostrophe guy" actually sounds pretty cool.

OK, show's over. Back on topic. I renew my call to Kormac to explain how he knows what he knows without it being insider info or NDA restricted.

Hmmm, maybe he's an Iowa State computer science student who realizes that a bunch of vague references to Asian tech production and a badly faked Korean accent would give his posts instant credibility on AI.
  • Reply 90 of 436
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

John, I know I come across very brashly on this subject, but the destruction of the English language seems to be the main effect of the Internet.

The English language is not set in stone. Language is always fluid and you should learn to accept this fact.
  • Reply 91 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Ensign et al: next post regarding any spelling, language wars, typos or other idiocy will result in a couple days in the sin bin. Stop hijacking this thread just because you're all getting your knicker's in a t'wis't. Take it to AO.
  • Reply 92 of 436
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

If it's not inside info and you're not under NDA then you can, by definition, describe precisely where you obtain your information. Until you do this, your posts are worthless.

Well, he does have his reputation to stand behind. If you have read his posts in the past and followed up on what he has perdicted, you will see that he is a straight shooter. You can search the archives to verify that.
  • Reply 93 of 436
    ensign don't expect an answer from kormac.

you have to protect your source. if a source is revealed that has some very serious repellings. enjoy what kormac has to say. let the trust build up.

he just can't say any more without compromising his source.

and don't discredit him.
  • Reply 94 of 436
    kormac77kormac77 Posts: 197member
    Hmmm....

My english is very bad...
  • Reply 95 of 436
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Quote:

If it's not inside info and you're not under NDA then you can, by definition, describe precisely where you obtain your information. Until you do this, your posts are worthless.

Apparently you do not know the track record of the K-man. He claims not to have insider info. to protect himself. We all remember too well what happened to bumble bee.
  • Reply 96 of 436
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merlion

Apparently you do not know the track record of the K-man. He claims not to have insider info. to protect himself. We all remember too well what happened to bumble bee.

You mean Worker Bee, no doubt. What ever did happen to him?
  • Reply 97 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gavriel

You mean Worker Bee, no doubt. What ever did happen to him?

no doubt.

• Reply 98 of 436
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Worker Bee was fired and prosecuted.
  • Reply 99 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Worker Bee was fired and prosecuted.

FREE THE BEE!!!
  • Reply 100 of 436
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member