AMD making dual core cpu's! What about Apple?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

*sigh*

Are you an Apple reseller? My guess is not. I am, and the reason that the boxes stay with minimal RAM is to allow me and others like me an opportunity to increase OUR margins, since we're often running at around 5% gross on top of DAC. RAM is not the deal-breaker you think it is.

Contrary to what you may think RAM allocations and the precieved value of Apple hardware are deal breakers. One only has to hang around the big box dealers to see this. People do shop and many that are not committed to anyone platform tend to want to get as much for their money as is possible. The good old American habit of shopping on price, not that I agree with that in every case.

Instead of looking at how much money you make off of silly RAM upgrades, think about how much money you would make if you could attrack and retain far more customers. Many people do avoid the hardware simply because of the perception of low value. If your business had something to draw in these type you would have a significantly larger market.

I do believe that Apple has this idea in their heads that Apple hardware can be sold on the strengths of OS/X alone. That is certianly the case in some instances but not every one. Further they really don't have a strong marketing effort in force to sell those strengths. So what customers see is expensive hardware. It should be noted too that if you are an Apple reseller, customers walking into your store probally have already made a puchase decision. You want to see more customers walking into your store don't you?
  • Reply 42 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Jelly I was in retail and corporate sales of Macs for years. I know exactly what you mean. Consumers don't understand the business aspect of computer sales. I'm not saying they have to care but reality is reality.

Oh come on Apples sales figure clearly show that consumers who do care don't buy. Further explain why so many corporate locations don't even allow Apple hardware on site. The last thing a corporate purchaseing agent needs to do is to run around buying add ons that should have been done right in the delivered machine.

Quote:

I remember we loved the hockey puck iMac mouses. That was usually an instant new mouse sale or we sold those cheap clip on pieces for better grip. Cost us $2 sold'em for $10. RAM was really the only way to make up profit.

This is exactly the attitude that creates consumer backlash. There certianly was a bit of backlash over that mouse. Further I'm willing to say, that atleast a few consumers, walked away from a Mac purchase simply because of required add ons.

Quote:

Don't consumers ever wonder why many printers don't come with cables. It is a concession to the stores. Bundling too much with your product leaves nothing for retailers and without retailers there is no store to go see product.

With Macs I only worry about what can't be changed easily. RAM, HD, AGP card can be replaced, processors cannot.

That is all well and good if you are not opposed to paying for all the extras. The reality is that many sales go to fucntional systems. Oftne these complete systems are far cheaper than the pieced together systems.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

Oh come on Apples sales figure clearly show that consumers who do care don't buy. Further explain why so many corporate locations don't even allow Apple hardware on site. The last thing a corporate purchaseing agent needs to do is to run around buying add ons that should have been done right in the delivered machine.

Every Apple reseller (including Apple) sill sell you the add ons you need. I've never purchased a Dell for work that came perfectly out of the box. You have to customize any order. This is not exclusive to Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

It makes no difference how old the current rev of the motherboard is, it is a matter of keeping position in the market. Frankly it would have been better to wait to July or August even for a machine that supports PCI-Express.

Again... apple can't compete with everyone. They can't afford to have thousands of motherboards and throw them away to repair shops. I don't understand why everyone is bitching... they incresed 25% in speed, ~ 10-20% in graphics card... there isn't any way they would have released dual 2.5 back in jan (your 6 month old comment)... The dual 2's didn't start shipping consistantly until mid september. That would have made them 3 month old machines. So in my opinion these machines are 3 months old. Just imagine that they were released 3 months ago... apple would still be charging this price (damn they charged the same price for 9 months on the dual 2s)... and accept what apple has released. They have done their best... bitching about 100 dollars worth of ram is a stupid reason not to buy one.