Sony answers to the Dual 2.5 GHz G5 and goes a step further.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sony now has a tower with liquid cooling in it, and also sports a Dual Layer DVD burner. Damn.

Steve cant be too happy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    still looks like crap
  • Reply 2 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Nice lack of info. No explanation on how the liquid cooling works. Knowing it's a Vaio it's bound to be sucktastic. Another crappy Vaio for the world to despise.

Now I used to think Vaio desktops were cool..until I wised up and began to see too many limitations.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    This is one of those "who cares" things.

That is, it's not special in any way. You can get a liquid cooled P4 3.2Ghz pretty easily from a variety of vendors.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I could care less about this really, but as a web-designer, the thing I hate most about this site is the fricken blow-up picture barely bigger than the thumbnail that you already see. What is the point in that?!!! Anyway, woop-dee-doo. Dual layer is nice, but will be in our hands soon enough as well, and will probably be more powerful to boot with the software Apple is no doubt optimizing for it.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Quote:

Originally posted by psgamer0921:

still looks like crap

Hmmm....

See larger pics here & here

Actually... that's not a bad looking box. In this case I would give props where props are due. Considering this is *Sony*, you actually get a fairly decent rig for $1599. And it's not as though Apple has anything that favorably compares to it in that price range.

Just my 2 bits,

C.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    i agree. my sis has that model and it works excellent. the liquid system is great. so cmon guys this is a good model with a good price. shame is not an apple!!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    All I can think of on looking inside that thing is... "That's the best they could do?" As someone who actually takes the lid off of his box case once in a while and tinkers inside, the G5 case is simply light-years ahead of this one for usability. For maintenance? No contest.

Decent specs for a decent price, but nothing earth-shattering here. You're simply getting less.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I could care less about this really, but as a web-designer, the thing I hate most about this site is the fricken blow-up picture barely bigger than the thumbnail that you already see. What is the point in that?!!!

Agreed.

It has TV tuner capabilities and coaxial in, though also only ships with Premiere LE.

IIRC, Sony has another model which is sold based on its TiVo-like PVR functions.

Perhaps that will become one of Sony's selling points until Steve changes his TV views.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Agreed.

It has TV tuner capabilities and coaxial in, though also only ships with Premiere LE.

IIRC, Sony has another model which is sold based on its TiVo-like PVR functions.

Perhaps that will become one of Sony's selling points until Steve changes his TV views.

It looks very Bauhaus, like the IBM Aptivas from the 90s...yesterday's future, if you will.

A single 3.2 GHz P4 at this point is on the rip-off side for PCs. I'm not comparing this to Mac prices, but comparable Intel based PCs from other manufacturers. TV tuner? Bleh. So I can watch analog cable? Coaxial in for "digital" cable perhaps? Wow... Go to Wal-Mart and buy a 20" TV for $100. Get a TiVo or ReplayTV too. It'll work better than any software based PVR.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    wake me when a good pc maker goes liqiud, SONY PCs SUCK.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    No fans? call me crasy but all liquid coolers I have ever seen have at least one fan on the radiator, Gotta keep the liquid cool lest liquid cooling becomes liquid heat acceleration.

this sony has no actual fans attached to the outer wall of the case, so how is the liquid kept cool?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I guess the thing that bothers me the most is that there is no performance breakthrough with the intel chip. It's not like they released a new chip that NEEDS liquid cooling. Sony just slapped it in there so PC freaks buy them and throw their lighting and fog machines and whatever else into the tower.

The dual dvd burner is a must for Apple IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Doesnt even have handles. Sony come on, first handles, then dual layer dvd players. People these days have their priorties mixed up.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    what a bunch of sad people you are.

criticize it all you want, but this isnt competing against the PowerMac G5 you're saying is designed and performs so much better......this is competing with the iMac which is embarrassed by this
  • Reply 15 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Is there really a market for Dual Layer yet? I love the idea of course but I'm wondering just how many consumers need the extra space for their own projects. I guess i'm just put off by the 40+ minute record times. I look forward to the second generation of DL where hopefully that time is cut in half. Right now the DL media is hard to find and expensive. I'm inclined to just span video on a dual sided 9.4GB disc rather than go DL yet.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    hm there sure is, the media's already out, and I'm snapping up the first good and relatively cheap FireWire DL DVD Burner some time this year. Woo Dual Layer! That'll be sweeet.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Is there really a market for Dual Layer yet? I love the idea of course but I'm wondering just how many consumers need the extra space for their own projects. I guess i'm just put off by the 40+ minute record times. I look forward to the second generation of DL where hopefully that time is cut in half. Right now the DL media is hard to find and expensive. I'm inclined to just span video on a dual sided 9.4GB disc rather than go DL yet.

of course there is.

an hour or 90 minutes is not a lot for one disc. a lot of people exceed that and wish they could fit it all.

the first generation of DVD burning wasnt fast and it was only for 1 hour of video.

discs will become more and more common. i've seen more dual layered discs than double sided anyways
  • Reply 18 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Case looks okay, but the overall setup seems awkward and costs far, far too much.

The graphics chip is a puny 5200. That would be fine for a pro machine like the Powermacs, especially since you can also BTO a better card, but if I understand correctly this Sony is an entertainment/home video machine. Changing the graphics card is not much of an option since it has all that video functionality and therefore more sunk costs. The graphics card is not liquid-cooled and you probably cannot make it liquid cooled with reasonable amount of work. You'd have that if you built your own liquid-cooled box.

There are two optical drives. I doubt more than 5% of people find that useful. With the current DVD/CD copy protection technology, can the copy programs even do a direct drive-to-drive copy anymore?

Why anyone would buy this is beyond me. It's a minitower, sure, but for all practical purposes most of the components could be welded on.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I'm all for minimalism but really, how is this different form their last case? It seems like the same thing only black. Plus just look at the back. The people who design the back off the case are the people who I admire. Sony isn't getting any sales from this guy.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm waiting for DVD-R9 before I get a Dual-Layer burner. The best thing about DVD+-R9 is the convenience of backing up DVD movies of course.