AirPort, internet problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello folks,

Been trying to set up a wireless network for my new broadband connection, have got 4 computers - 2 Macs (1 with AirPort, 1 with Airport Extreme) and 2 PC's.

The PC's connect through Ethernet while the macs connect through AirPort.

While I can get one of the Macs (the non Extreme one) I can't get my PowerBook to connect to the internet through AirPort. It will do it through Ethernet (albeit not everytime). In the Network settings the IP and Subnet Masks get assigned but when connecting over AirPort the router address does not appear. I tried setting these manually and turning off DHCP on the router but that didn't work.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help, these boards have got me out of trouble plenty of times in the past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    OK I've fixed the problem now thanks to a prompt response by email from the people at Belkin UK.

What I had to do was change the wireless channel of the router to 1. Now it's all fine and have managed to get 3 different computers to connect to the internet wirelessly.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Just curious. What channel was it set to before? Why did changing the channel make a difference? Do you think there was interference from another router? I thought that the WiFi cards would automatically search through all available channels.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I had the same problem with my wireless router. I had to switch it to channel 6... now it works... \ \
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Was the PowerBook bought locally or was it imported from anywhere? In the US, you can only use channels 1-11. In Europe you can use 1-13. In Japan you can use 1-14.

Like, if you have an access point set to channel 13 with an American PowerBook, you wouldn't be able to use it on the wireless network.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Was the PowerBook bought locally or was it imported from anywhere? In the US, you can only use channels 1-11. In Europe you can use 1-13. In Japan you can use 1-14.

Like, if you have an access point set to channel 13 with an American PowerBook, you wouldn't be able to use it on the wireless network.

The PowerBook was bought trhough the AppleStore, it's a local version. I can't quite remember what channel it was set too, but it was at least 11.