Determining correct file permissions, well...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Folks,

I recently had some issues with my pb 12" 1ghz. All at a sudden apps didn't start correctly. Even safari crashed and what not. Well, i did some houskeeping stuff. That activity included resetting pr-ram, trashing user and system cache files, repairing permissions. From terminal i performed a "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" cmd. Not to mention a "fsck -y" while booting the machine.

For now, everything seems to be in good shape again. Hence, i was a bit startled

After performing all that maintaining stuff, i just run "disk utility" again, just to get the feeling "everything is ok again, don't worry." But that drew my utter attention. Literally everytime i perform "repairing privileges" i get this message:

Quote:

Jun 21 10:34:24: ?Festplatten-Dienstprogramm? wurde gestartet.

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

Reparatur der Zugriffsrechte abgeschlossen

...4 minutes later...

Quote:

Jun 21 10:38:55: ?Festplatten-Dienstprogramm? wurde gestartet.

Determining correct file permissions.

We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

What does that suppose to mean? Like always i appreciate...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Which part of this meaningless junk do you fail to understand?

Determining correct file permissions means extracting original permissions from the leftovers of installation packages in /Library/Receipts/. This, by the way, explains why you should not trash them.

New permissions are blah-blah means that either Disk Utility can't set this weird number properly (hence every time you run it, it 'repairs' them again) or it only says that cd9660.util has weird permissions.

You should completely ignore this kind of message because:

1) it's stupid,

2) it occurs on all Panther installations, AFAIK,

3) it used to happen with other files as well over the course of Mac OS X evolution.

Don't worry. Be happy.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    That message has been appearing for awhile regardless of the state of your machine.

Your troubles must lie elsewhere.

On a more positive note, since journalling this is the ONLY repair that seems to happen

• Reply 3 of 3
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

You should completely ignore this kind of message because:

1) it's stupid,

2) it occurs on all Panther installations, AFAIK,

3) it used to happen with other files as well over the course of Mac OS X evolution.

Don't worry. Be happy.

Again, thank you costique. Now i feel much more comfortable.

greetings