Philips announces 16X Dual layer DVD burner.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well here we are, still waiting for G5's to ship, and here are the 16X burners. For most people this is alright I guess, but I honestly wanna stick with 8X or slower so my burns are more reliable. Nevertheless, it'd be nice for data back ups. Philips says these new burners will be mainstream in Dell "computers" by the end of 2004.

Link

PS: I would put this in Current Hardware, but the description on the main Forums index page says its only for Apple Hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    As always finding 16x media is going to be a bear.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

As always finding 16x media is going to be a bear.

what is with you and this fear of finding media.

yea, when DVD burners first came out....it was hard to find a store with 2X discs.... for a couple months. When 4x came out it seems like they all switched rather quickly.

If anything there is a couple month laspe with new media. Although if you order online that will never be a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The fact that it's dual-layer seems more important to me than the fact that it's 16x. 8x DVDs burn in what, 7-8 minutes? 16x will burn in 4 minutes or so (actually if it's dual-layer I would assume it would be the same as 8x but with twice the storage)? Nice, but I think the doubling of storage capacity is more important.

The media will be expensive at first - probably not even worth it for saving 4 minutes per burn. I assume you will need different media for dual-layer too?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Applenut the good media just always seems to lag the fast drives. I guess there's no real harm in burning slower until the faster media arrives.

BRussell keep in mind burning the DL discs isn't done at even 8x. I think all the DL drives take roughly 40 minutes to burn a DL disc.

Hopefully in generation two this will be cut in half. 20 minutes is a small break
  • Reply 5 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

BRussell keep in mind burning the DL discs isn't done at even 8x. I think all the DL drives take roughly 40 minutes to burn a DL disc.

Hopefully in generation two this will be cut in half. 20 minutes is a small break

Really? I didn't know that. Do you have a link to some information about that?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Applenut the good media just always seems to lag the fast drives. I guess there's no real harm in burning slower until the faster media arrives.

i didn't know that either.

either way, id love to have a dual layer burner..... be nice to have that capacity not only for video but for backups
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    16x on a dual layer burner is quick. Can HDDs even keep up with that?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Sorry fellas. I should have included a link. I was late for school though.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2045

Seems that the first generation DL burning will be around 2.4x CLV.

Here's the actual burn results

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/sho...tml?i=2045&p=3

Sure, it isn't the most interesting burn that we have ever seen, but it is surprisingly stable. Notice, however, that this 7.96GB burn took 45.23 minutes! Burning two 4.38GB discs takes less than 15 minutes.

Here is the read test on the same disc with the same drive. We did not have many problems.

I haven't yet found a drive that burns faster unfortunately. Looks like it may take a generation to increase DL burn speeds.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...129TX1K0000532

Burning a single disc full of data on both layers will take about an hour. Richard Giannini, a product manager for branded solutions for Iomega, said the drive burns the top layer at 12X speeds, but the player must slow down to penetrate the second layer, which records data at an effective speeds of 2.4X.

Dual Layer still rocks but I'm sure people will be replacing this generation quickly as they speed DL burning.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

16x on a dual layer burner is quick. Can HDDs even keep up with that?

Yup quite easily I might add.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Yup quite easily I might add.

Depends on the HDD. Sustaining ~22 MB/s at the end of the burn would be asking much of an older 3.5" HDD or even a relatively new 2.5" HDD.