New PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered a new PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz on Friday and I did a "CTO" option upgrading the Graphics Card to the ATI Radeon 9600XT, my question is this. My EST Ship Date is 6/29/04. I am in the computer industry build PC computers for clients, and I know how long it takes to build. Why is it that my Ship Date is over a week away for a swap on the graphics card??? Do they actually build a custom computer instead of taking a "standard" one and just replacing the graphics card?? My order is still open and since the new G5 Dual 2.0Ghz is supposedly using the PowerPC 970 instead of the 970fx what is the hold up? How long did it take everyone else to get their CTO computers? My friend just got a PowerBook CTO and it took a shipped the same day and he upgraded the HD, so in disbelief to 50% of what I've read I say the new Dual 2.0Ghz has the 970fx chip, because there is nothing else that could be holding up my order. Sorry this is was so long.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

I ordered a new PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz on Friday and I did a "CTO" option upgrading the Graphics Card to the ATI Radeon 9600XT, my question is this. My EST Ship Date is 6/29/04. I am in the computer industry build PC computers for clients, and I know how long it takes to build. Why is it that my Ship Date is over a week away for a swap on the graphics card??? Do they actually build a custom computer instead of taking a "standard" one and just replacing the graphics card?? My order is still open and since the new G5 Dual 2.0Ghz is supposedly using the PowerPC 970 instead of the 970fx what is the hold up? How long did it take everyone else to get their CTO computers? My friend just got a PowerBook CTO and it took a shipped the same day and he upgraded the HD, so in disbelief to 50% of what I've read I say the new Dual 2.0Ghz has the 970fx chip, because there is nothing else that could be holding up my order. Sorry this is was so long.

uhg... its a 970. if you ordered it not CTO it would have shipped sooner.... so whats the logic that because you did CTO and it takes longer that it must be a 970FX

BTO usually takes a bit longer, especially on new products. a week isn't all that much. BTO probably gives apple an excuse to fullfil a couple more prebuilt orders before yours, that's all
  • Reply 2 of 39
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Well my theory is that the ship date is within 2 days of the ship date for the 2.5Ghz, and since it is a known fact that a 2.5Ghz is a 970fx then I was just thinking mine would be as well. A company that I worked for ordered one the friday before the "revision" and they got it the tuesday before "revision" and it was a CTO. So I just didn't know why there is such a delay on mine. Just a thought, just really wondering how long it usually takes to get a CTO computer and if they just pull one off the shelf or actually do a CTO. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Standard orders can be shipped locally. Maybe from a nearby Apple store. Custom orders are assembled overseas and shipped here and that takes longer.

At least that is what I think is happening.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Standard orders can be shipped locally. Maybe from a nearby Apple store. Custom orders are assembled overseas and shipped here and that takes longer.

pretty sure that isn't the case
  • Reply 5 of 39
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh? Care to elaborate? I have sources that say otherwise.

(No finger-pointing, just curious.) \
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I know my friends PowerBook that was CTO was shipped directly from taiwan. It shipped from the Taiwan International Airport (according to the FedEx online tracker) and was here 2 days later. Even with his CTO it was ordered on a Wednesday here on that Friday. The other PowerMac that was ordered before the revision was shipped from Sacramento CA and it was a CTO as well. Who knows their logic, anyways, just wanted to state my thoughts on the PowerPC 970 and say that it's take way too long to swap out graphics cards (yes I am impatient)
  • Reply 7 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Shipping from Apple Stores?? You're on the wacky weed.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

I think you are wrong. I just ordered a 2.0 (with 9600, more ram, etc) and the email said that it was being shipped from Elk Grove, CA (I thought they closed that place down??). My roommate, who also ordered a 2.0 G5 custom, called and talked with someone (he wanted to change something), and they mentioned it was shipping from southern california (which fits in with his fed-ex tracking info of being picked up in socal).
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Oh? Care to elaborate? I have sources that say otherwise.

(No finger-pointing, just curious.) \

i don't have any sources to show you this, just a basic knowledge that you are wrong.\
  • Reply 10 of 39
    just to add a little more spice to the mix I found this on Apple's Discussion borads

Quote:

"Today I seen the latest G5 service manual and went and checked part numbers on the processors between models. Here's the story. The 1.8GHz Reb. B model shows the same part number as the Rev. A. The 2.0GHz Reb. B model shows a different part number than the Rev. A.

It looks like the new 1.8Ghz still uses the 130nm processor and the 2.0Ghz might be using the 90nm processor. Maybe IBM is only developing 90nm processors 2.0GHz and larger??? Sure is mysterious"

Does anyone on here have the G5 Service Manual and if so could you scan the page that has that information on it???
  • Reply 11 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    The current dual 2.0's are 970 130nm, no liquid cooling.

I'm not absolutely if they are exactly the same, from what I've been told and read they did change the cooling system to run quieter... also changed the power supply.

I ordered my dual 2.5 right away and the last thing I've heard from apple is July 29th shipping on it. That is with ADC and there is a higher priority to the ADC members.

Like someone else stated, if you ordered a stock dual 2.0, it would have likely shipped that day or the next. BTO always adds about 4-5 days... but they usually ship within a few days. They just say those days for a buffer, I'd be willing to bet your dually ships before the 5 day deadline.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I ordered one of the 2.0GHz models today..

I'm not worried about the processor size or version so much as I'm worried that Apple will bring out a new PowerMac at the WWDC.. That's really got me worried, as this time I'm buying the whole compy myself with no help from mum & dad...

I would hate to be watching the stream of the WWDC on my new G5, and to see something like Steve announce a 3GHz, saying that the 2.5GHz ramp up was a teaser to keep everyone from thinking they were going to meet it by summer, and that 2.0GHz is now the lowest of the G5 range, is being reduced to $1999 (US) and has a cherry bon-bon dispenser built in.. Urgh that would suck..

Two guys in my uni class have switched now (thanks to yours truly.. ) and one guy got his new powerbook almost a week before they upgraded the whole line. He was cut.. To say the least.

Jimzip
  • Reply 13 of 39
    If I was a week or so behind I'd call apple and tell them I am not satisfied with my product and want a refund... they would do it... but I guarantee they would try and upgrade you before you returned the product for your money back. Why do people hold onto the products when they are updated the next week?

Being an Apple user for more than 10 years I would demand an upgrade or threaten to never use their products again.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Yeah... The problem is that here in Australia.. There are no Apple stores.. (Well, I think there's one in Sydney now.. But that's too far away) We order everything Apple through resellers, and this guy that I'm buying it from has been fantastic, very helpful and he's worked out the most bang for buck for me.

So if they do release something new at the WWDC, I'll just have to grin and bare it I guess..

But hey, a new G5 is better than nothing, so I can't really complain. (Tell me to say that when the 3.0GHz is released next week )

It was probably good timing if anything I think, because the New 2.0Ghz G5's are the same price as the old ones, but beefed up a little. I was initially trying to get hold of a cleared inventory G5.. I thought they'd be cheaper see.

Jimzip
  • Reply 15 of 39
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

Well my theory is that the ship date is within 2 days of the ship date for the 2.5Ghz, and since it is a known fact that a 2.5Ghz is a 970fx then I was just thinking mine would be as well.

Man are you ever wrong on this. The estimated ship date for a 2.5Ghz is 07/30/2004 - I should know I ordered one. So your ship date of 06/29/2004 is nowhere near the ship date for the 2.5Ghz.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    There may be a midline update like there was on the Rev As (single 1.8 to dual 1.8)... but that won't happen for a few more months. I'm actually quite shocked there is that big of a difference between the midline and topline for 350 dollars for developers. You gain a lot for the 350 dollars (thats with the midline upgraded to a 9600xt otherwise it would be 390).

The price jumps up by 500 dollars for each machine... not a huge difference between the dual 1.8 but there is a huge diff between dual 2 and dual 2.5.

Seems awkward to me.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Man are you ever wrong on this. The estimated ship date for a 2.5Ghz is 07/30/2004 - I should know I ordered one. So your ship date of 06/29/2004 is nowhere near the ship date for the 2.5Ghz.

And when exactly did you order yours because I have heard the first of July for the 2.5Ghz? Sure there is a backorder now that so many people have ordered them.....
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

And when exactly did you order yours because I have heard the first of July for the 2.5Ghz? Sure there is a backorder now that so many people have ordered them.....

I ordered mine the very next day after they were released. Not only that, but I ordered through ADC (higher priority). The first email I got was july 5th, I got another email claiming july 29th, so I called ADC / Apple and they told me July 29th.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Well there is always the possiblity that maybe the processor isn't what's holding up the 2.5Ghz, maybe it could be the liquid cooling system. Who knows. Then again you could be completey right, which if you've noticed I've never said anyone on here was "completely wrong." I've always just stated facts jjust like everyone else has. In all reality it won't make a difference anways where it's a 90 nm chip or not. I just think this is an interesting topic that's all. But I do have 2 more things to say, one of which was never answered and I'm sure someone on the boards has access to it.

Quote:

"Today I seen the latest G5 service manual and went and checked part numbers on the processors between models. Here's the story. The 1.8GHz Reb. B model shows the same part number as the Rev. A. The 2.0GHz Reb. B model shows a different part number than the Rev. A.

It looks like the new 1.8Ghz still uses the 130nm processor and the 2.0Ghz might be using the 90nm processor. Maybe IBM is only developing 90nm processors 2.0GHz and larger??? Sure is mysterious"

and my last quote from http://www.apple.com/g5processor/ibmprocess.html

Quote:

How many transistors can dance on the head of a chip only 118 millimeters square? Over 58 million, thanks to IBM?s sophisticated process technology that builds them just 90 nanometers wide. Such superior technology developments turbo-charge the G5 processor to speeds of up to 2.5GHz.

UP To 2.5Ghz does not mean "only the 2.5Ghz" IMO.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

UP To 2.5Ghz does not mean "only the 2.5Ghz" IMO.

The dual 2ghz Xserve is 90nm... the powermac dual 2 rev b is 130nm... arstechnica.com had an article a few days ago on it. I'd assume this is why they said "Up to". Also the transistor count is from the 970, not the 970fx.