New PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    What's the transistor count on the 970fx then? And someone on here has to have the service manual, cause that is the ulitmate judge. Why would they list different part numbers for the exact same processor? And I thought the Xserve was on backorder so what's your reason for saying that? That one site???
  • Reply 22 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

What's the transistor count on the 970fx then? And someone on here has to have the service manual, cause that is the ulitmate judge. Why would they list different part numbers for the exact same processor? And I thought the Xserve was on backorder so what's your reason for saying that? That one site???

The Xserve Dual 2 is not on back order that I know of, We have 10 of them sitting in our office. We've had them for about 7 weeks now.

They are listing different part #'s for the computers not the cpu's, I thought. Either way, remember that the cooling system has been redesigned on the dual 2g... it's not water cooled but the processor section is just that, its own section...

I was just giving that one website as a quick reference off of the top of my head. Maccentral and macnn have both said it as well.

You're right, only true way to tell is with a manual, which probably won't come out until next months service updates.
  • Reply 23 of 39

You:

Quote:

I ordered mine the very next day after they were released. Not only that, but I ordered through ADC (higher priority). The first email I got was july 5th, I got another email claiming july 29th, so I called ADC / Apple and they told me July 29th.

Me:

Quote:

Well there is always the possiblity that maybe the processor isn't what's holding up the 2.5Ghz, maybe it could be the liquid cooling system. Who knows.

Where can you get a service manual/look at one?
  • Reply 24 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    its amazing how many times something can be confirmed and yet people still dont believe it. it must be a mac user thing.

the DAY of release. Maccentral who interviewed the apple hardware rep said that the 970fx was only the 2.5Ghz.

then, someone else comfirms it by actually checking the number on the actual processors over at Ars.

what more do you want?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Just stating what I've read on other forums and how people have compared the product #'s for the processors and they were different. Then why do I have over a 10 day wait for a graphics card swap? This makes my 3rd mac and i've never had to wait this long, and while you want to talk about the day it was released it's funny this exact site had that all new PowerMac's had the 970fx .... but I understand they "don't" Still don't believe anything until I see it myself because there is too much speculation and not enough facts from Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Well, Apple reps confirmed here at Mac Expo Germany, that ALL new machines use the 970FX processor. That's what I've been told. And it should make a difference regarding power consumption.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Just stating what I've read on other forums and how people have compared the product #'s for the processors and they were different. Then why do I have over a 10 day wait for a graphics card swap? This makes my 3rd mac and i've never had to wait this long, and while you want to talk about the day it was released it's funny this exact site had that all new PowerMac's had the 970fx .... but I understand they "don't" Still don't believe anything until I see it myself because there is too much speculation and not enough facts from Apple.

Again, if you order a straight dual 2.0 it will ship THAT DAY or the NEXT. All BTO options on any mac take 4-5 days.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Not to say you are wrong but out of the last 2 BTO computers one being 2 weeks ago and another being 4 weeks ago, all were BTO and they were ALL Shipped the same day and recieved 2 days later. One was even a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz the friday before Revisions. Anyways, do you know where I can see a service manual?
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Example:

If you do a build to order on a 15" iMac and add ram, harddrive you will get a 7-10 day shipping estimate.

-------------

Back to the Xserve dual 2, I'd be willing to be the reason there is a huge delay right now is for Virginia tech and the other Government Super computer. Last week the annual SuperComputer tests were done, BigMac didn't get tested because it was down. They are currently putting all of the XServes in now. That is 1600 Xserves btw. I believe they are all dual 2 cluster nodes and servers.

That being said I'm sure apple has had to take a hit on shipping any out to anyone else.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Service Manuals for this rev b won't be available until July. Apple sends out these AppleCare updates to AppleCare reps monthly.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Well, I ordered my 2Ghz dual with the 9600XT upgrade on "opening day" and waited the extra week for it to ship. It arrived today, and although the sticker on the outside of the box indicates that it has the 9600XT (they must have gotten a bunch of requests to actually have stickers), it shipped with the nVidia 5200!

I called Apple and they are arranging for a card swap, but at first they just wanted to switch machines...yikes!

Moral: check System Profiler to make sure you got what you were supposed to....

Drew

PS: The new heat sink cover IS one piece, despite what other boards have been noting...
  • Reply 32 of 39
    drewsaur congrats on the new system, that's exactly what I ordered, hopefully won't have the problem you did. Can you do us all a favor and gives us the details inside the apple system profiler???? If you can take pics of the heatsink and stuff that'd be cool too Orderd mine last friday and sill have to wait another week for it to ship.....
  • Reply 33 of 39
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewsaur

Well, I ordered my 2Ghz dual with the 9600XT upgrade on "opening day" and waited the extra week for it to ship. It arrived today, and although the sticker on the outside of the box indicates that it has the 9600XT (they must have gotten a bunch of requests to actually have stickers), it shipped with the nVidia 5200!

I called Apple and they are arranging for a card swap, but at first they just wanted to switch machines...yikes!

Moral: check System Profiler to make sure you got what you were supposed to....

Drew

PS: The new heat sink cover IS one piece, despite what other boards have been noting...

But does it have the two "G5" processor marks on it? And an engraved line dividing the two on the plate?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chaser

But does it have the two "G5" processor marks on it? And an engraved line dividing the two on the plate?

Yes. It is as pictured on the Apple site.

Drew
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

drewsaur congrats on the new system, that's exactly what I ordered, hopefully won't have the problem you did. Can you do us all a favor and gives us the details inside the apple system profiler???? If you can take pics of the heatsink and stuff that'd be cool too Orderd mine last friday and sill have to wait another week for it to ship.....

Basic processor info:

Machine ModeltPower Mac G5

CPU TypetPowerPC G5 (2.2)

Number Of CPUst2

CPU Speedt2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU)t512 KB

Memoryt512 MB

Bus Speedt1 GHz

Boot ROM Versiont5.1.8f2
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Finally. The NEW Dual 2.0Ghz appears Have a 970FX because of this change in the Apple System Profiler:

Old G5 Dual 2.0Ghz:

CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2

NEW G5 Dual 2.0Ghz:

Machine Model: Power Mac G5

CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 1 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f2

I also gathered this information from an apple discussion board:

My DP 1.8GHz Rev. A reads: CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

A new DP 2.0GHz Rev. B reads: CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (2.2)

oh and one last site to look at:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_shipping/index.html

So if the new Dual 2.0Ghz is not the 970FX why doesn't it say 970?? Just my thoughts.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Boot rom version has nothing to do with the model of the chip. Boot rom is nothing more than an updated software. You can change your boot rom version by flashing it yourself...

You can read about it here: Mac Boot Rom
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Looks like I'm wrong... according to this site:

EveryMac stats

They claim they are all 970fx... this is very interesting.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    yes it all is very interesting and confusing. I know the ROM had nothing to do with it, I was talking about where it said Processor Type...