No Software For OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Many of the Windows world trolls say the following:

There's no software available for Mac!

So after getting sick of this, I thought I'd ask...

In terms of software available for the Mac, specifically for Mac OS X, what software is missing, that you'd use if existed under OS X? m. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    It's true, we don't have a zillion wordprocessors or quirky shareware as the Wintel world does. But we have 99% of what matters (and some they don't have). The Mac user experience compensates hughly for the remaining 1%.

As for games, we have all the important games. If you wan't more, or you're a serious gamer, you buy a PS2 or an XBox anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

It's true, we don't have a zillion wordprocessors or quirky shareware as the Wintel world does. But we have 99% of what matters (and some they don't have). The Mac user experience compensates hughly for the remaining 1%.

As for games, we have all the important games. If you wan't more, or you're a serious gamer, you buy a PS2 or an XBox anyway.

Actually, the Mac has great shareware. Always has. The advent of MacOS X has also brought a lot more great freeware to the platform, as well. People worry about not being able to buy Mac software on $20 CDs at Office Depot. However, we can download stuff off the 'net that is far superior to most of the commercial Windows junk.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Eh, serious gamer?

I play a casual game from time to time. Mostly old ones, like Quake 3 and Warcraft 3. But from the days of console gaming, I miss some stuff. Serious car games. Where are they?

Colin McRae Rally would be nice. Trackmania. A couple.

Is FarCry coming?

But as for shareware, I think we're fine. I, at least, have nothing to complain about. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

So after getting sick of this, I thought I'd ask...

In terms of software available for the Mac, specifically for Mac OS X, what software is missing, that you'd use if existed under OS X? m. \

Here's a software sub-question: what word processors exist for OS X besides Mellel, Nisus Writer, Appleworks and MS Word? And of those four, does anyone have comments about the quality of the first two? I'm particularly interested in style and page formatting control.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    This is the best answer to your question that's I've come across:

Quote: "90% or more of the applications which are running most of the time on most personal computers are much better on a Mac, which has fewer of each type of application but often the best in category. More elegant, more functional, and especially more intuitive. Even Microsoft's programs are generally better on a Mac. Not faster . . . better."

says it all really
  • Reply 6 of 36
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Do viruses count as software?

If so lack of this software for the Mac OS X stops people thinking of buying Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    The software I miss the most on OS X is Delphi.

Also, most cell phones come today with software for configuring, backup, SMS/MMS prepating/sending. There's never any software for the Macintosh, it's always Windows only (granted, some functionality is provided by iSync).

Same goes for memory sticks that offer extra functions (encryption, password protection etc.)

There's no Mac software for configuring my satellite receiver.

CD/DVD extras are also almost always Windows only (ok, this is not a specific software that I'm missing, but I wanted to mention it anyway).

Access for Mac would be nice (but only because I have to use it professionally).
  • Reply 8 of 36
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    The mac doesn't have Worms 2 or the Age of Mythology Expansion Pack (which is a very good thing for my productivity).
  • Reply 9 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Doesn't have DeLorme Street Atlas grr. Hey DeLorme you idiots I would buy your stuff but I guess I'll be a Route 66 customer from now on! And they're way cheaper, granted their software is bare bones. I'd love a OS X Topo or Street Atlas. Ah well. Maybe someday when the market share gets back to 10%. Anyone know if the overall market share is growing, and if so to how much?
  • Reply 10 of 36
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    For professional users, Softimage XSI and Maya Unlimited to name a couple. Granted Maya Complete accounts for a good chunk of Maya sales, unlimited is still missing.

For the most part though, we have a lot of great applications.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

..., specifically for Mac OS X, what software is missing, that you'd use if existed under OS X? m. \

specifically for Mac OS X is the keyword here Obviously there is a certain lack of software designed for the 6 year old. I don't know, IF this is an issue in U.S., but outside U.S. it is quite an issue. Indeed.

I don't know whom to blame, apple? kid game developers? Off top of my head i merely know 4 games devoted for X, on the other hand there are tons over tons of software designed for Win.XP. And no there is not only WinCrap kid software, though!

best
  • Reply 12 of 36
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    There are a lot of unique and great softwares available for Mac that are NOT available for Windows. And they are quite striking. And now that Mac is UNIX there are even more examples.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    wmccurdywmccurdy Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carbonide

The software I miss the most on OS X is Delphi.

Also, most cell phones come today with software for configuring, backup, SMS/MMS prepating/sending. There's never any software for the Macintosh, it's always Windows only (granted, some functionality is provided by iSync).

Same goes for memory sticks that offer extra functions (encryption, password protection etc.)

There's no Mac software for configuring my satellite receiver.

CD/DVD extras are also almost always Windows only (ok, this is not a specific software that I'm missing, but I wanted to mention it anyway).

Access for Mac would be nice (but only because I have to use it professionally).

If more people complained to manufacturers and refused to buy products that don't have configuration software for Mac, it would soon appear.

If I'm having a bad day, nothing cheers me up better than going into a high-end electronics store, having a salesman spend a lot of time demonstrating lots of expensive gear and then telling him/her that I'm going to look elsewhere because I won't be able to configure any of that gear from my Mac.

I also send at least 1 letter a week to some manufacturer informing them of my decision not to buy their product because their software is not available for Mac.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    groovergroover Posts: 29member
    Well you it seems many of you are misinformed their are tons of software for Mac OS X. goto versiontracker.com also Made4Mac . As for games for mac check out ID software and MacPlay and Aspry. As for Maya Unlimited your right there is no mac version but you can get the plugins for complete and get the same functionality. Take note that there is also mac only software out there.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are definitely some areas that OS X lacks almost any software in. We've had a few people come through and ask if there's anything like consumer home design software for the Mac. Aside from Microspot Interiors, there really isn't. The Mac also lacks on the other end of the 3D world, where some *very* high end CAD/CAM software isn't available for Macs either (or not Mac-ready might be a better phrase as they are often unix wares, not even Windows versions). There's a ton of stuff that comes close though and a bunch of things are available in the prosumer and creative pro markets (usually geared towards architects and industrial designers).

Most if not all mainstream genres are pretty well-covered though, and the Mac certainly has plenty of choices for creative needs in general. Games and business /financial softwares are more limited, but the few options Mac have in these areas are often pretty good.

Macs do have their share of crap too, just that it tends not to float to the top. Exceptions being things like Quicken that are buoyed by their popularity on the Windows side and therefore deemed "important" for the viability of Macs in some environments.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

specifically for Mac OS X is the keyword here Obviously there is a certain lack of software designed for the 6 year old. I don't know, IF this is an issue in U.S., but outside U.S. it is quite an issue. Indeed.

I don't know whom to blame, apple? kid game developers? Off top of my head i merely know 4 games devoted for X, on the other hand there are tons over tons of software designed for Win.XP. And no there is not only WinCrap kid software, though!

best

"Real computers are NOT designed for fun and games, but are designed for productivity, like Macs."

-Me
  • Reply 17 of 36
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

Well you it seems many of you are misinformed their are tons of software for Mac OS X. goto versiontracker.com also Made4Mac . As for games for mac check out ID software and MacPlay and Aspry. As for Maya Unlimited your right there is no mac version but you can get the plugins for complete and get the same functionality. Take note that there is also mac only software out there.

I understand that there are 3rd party tools that give you similar functionality as Maya Unlimited. The problem is that, most of those solutions are different as far as their approach goes. They do not SEAMLESSLY integrate with Maya. Granted some of those tools, including Shave & Haircut and Syflex, are a lot faster and better than Alias' solution, for those that are trying to learn, 3rd part solutions is a weird way to go about it.

I love my Macs and use them everyday, but there are still a few reasons for keeping my Optetron workstation around, granted those reasons are getting less and less.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by foad

For professional users, Softimage XSI and Maya Unlimited to name a couple. Granted Maya Complete accounts for a good chunk of Maya sales, unlimited is still missing.

For the most part though, we have a lot of great applications.

foad, check out the development version of abiword, originally a Gnome/GTK app being ported to OSX. Note that it is 'devel'.

http://www.abisource.com/download/development.phtml
  • Reply 19 of 36
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chaser

"Real computers are NOT designed for fun and games, but are designed for productivity, like Macs."

-Me

Oh my god, - the worst thing is, you mean what you say, hm? What you are saying is: 6 year old should get a PC, because kids do not tend to operate a computer in a productive manner. Did i get that right?
  • Reply 20 of 36
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    mac is missing two VERY VERY important...CRITICALLY important programs:

AutoCAD

3d Studio Max

Otherwise, architects would be all over the mac...though many prefer the mac and keep a pc just for autoCAD work