Simple Defrag

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have 4 HDs. 2 Internal, (one of which has Panther) 2 external (a lacie big disk and my iPod)

How do I easily defrag the OS holding HD. All the others are targetable by Drive 10.

Simplest is best please. (also, none of this 'you don't need to defrag' nonsense) I have been swapping files on and off this disk hourly for about 5 months now. It *needs* is. I need it to need it too, so humor me and help a fellow out.

Thx!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It doesn't need it.

But, why not just boot off a CD and run Drive 10 on the now non-boot drive?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

But, why not just boot off a CD and run Drive 10 on the now non-boot drive?

I thought drive 10 had to be installed on the running OS disk. Maybe I'm wrong. Also it asks for an admin password currently. What would it be if I was booted off my Panther CD?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I have 4 HDs. 2 Internal, (one of which has Panther) 2 external (a lacie big disk and my iPod)

How do I easily defrag the OS holding HD. All the others are targetable by Drive 10.

Simplest is best please. (also, none of this 'you don't need to defrag' nonsense) I have been swapping files on and off this disk hourly for about 5 months now. It *needs* is. I need it to need it too, so humor me and help a fellow out.

Thx!

large media files are bad news for drives with an OS on it. try to keep all media away from the drive with the OS and apps. that should help some. and yes, OS X defrags as needed. if it still seems fragged, delete or move media files. also, verify/repair permissions with disk utility or an app called Onyx.