Buy a PowerBook next week?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the fortunate/unfortunate position where I will be in the USA for some work and will pass by NYC next week. I have about 6 iPod Minis to buy for friends here in Europe (thats gonna be fun....)

Also, I want to replace my aging iBook 14inch (first edition, 600MHz G3, etc etc) witha PowerBook 12inch SuprDrive.

Its about 600USD cheaper if I buy in NYC than in Europe (thieves, all of them!!!)

So, with WWDC going on RIGHT when I'll be in the good ol' US of A, what are the risks of getting a PB12inch and then have announcement that they are getting upgraded or price reduced?

*sigh*

BTW, when announcements are made, are new products available the SAME DAY or a day after they are announced (I'm thinking Apple Store SoHo here... )? WWDC is 28th, I'm leaving NYC on the 30th...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Considering how recently PBs were updated... chances of another update anytime soon are practically nil.

Until G5s are ready to go into PBs -- which sure as hell isn't happening in the next couple of weeks -- about all you can expect out of the next PB updates is a tiny speed bump, and maybe, just maybe, the 12" getting some of the 15"/17" features, like gigabit ethernet and a lighted keyboard. I wouldn't expect such an update until the fall at the earliest.

The only major surprise I can imagine in the next PB updates is not a G5, but an upgraded G4 -- lower power and faster FSB, perhaps, along with higher clock speeds.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Yeah, I was thinking around the same lines... but as usual, one gets last minute jitters before sinking 1800$ and then seeing the same computer get updated a day later...

Going to US Apple store reveals that its available on "Same Day Business"... so, I guess they aint doing any promotions or anything, so...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    buy now. you'll love it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

buy now. you'll love it.

I can second that. I'm really enjoying my new 1.33 GHz 12" PB.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I can second that. I'm really enjoying my new 1.33 GHz 12" PB.

Third that, ZO. I will finally be ordering my 12-inch PowerBook G4/1.33 in the next 9 days. (My educational discount expires at the end of the month because I graduated in May.)

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 8
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    After baiting my time by holding on to my Pismo, I just purchased a 17" PowerBook at the Apple Store at Lenox in Atlanta. I dove in head first this time: just picked up a 20 GB iPod a few months prior (I was one of the 730,000), got an iSight, and gave into my urges to embrace wireless with AirPort Extreme. Then I turned and bumped the RAM up to 1GB. I'm thrilled with my new PowerBook. These machines are a fabulous meshing of raw beauty, form, and function.

My single complaint is only to criticize Apple's oversight in including only one 400Mbps Firewire port on these machines.

If you believe the purchase to be saving you money inn the first place, I'd say go for it and grab a new PowerBook.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Going to US Apple store reveals that its available on "Same Day Business"... so, I guess they aint doing any promotions or anything, so...

Did someone from Paris just say AINT ? Is this normal behavior? hehe
  • Reply 8 of 8
    he's an imposter! he's from arkansas!