EyeHome Protected AAC Support?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A review of this device in MacWorld claims that it will play Protected AAC's from the iTunes Music Store. Can anyone with this device confirm? Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Yes. The original version didn't, an update disabled it, and the latest update supports it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gordy

Yes. The original version didn't, an update disabled it, and the latest update supports it.

How does it deal with the 5 Mac/PC limit? Is the Eyehome not seen as a device by Apple's DRM, or is it a hack somehow?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

How does it deal with the 5 Mac/PC limit? Is the Eyehome not seen as a device by Apple's DRM, or is it a hack somehow?

If playing protected AAC really does work (last time I checked EyeHome specs, I couldn't find anything about being able to play protected AAC), the EyeHome could be treated sort of like an iPod.

Current DRM for iTunes allows unlimited iPod copies of your music, and since the EyeHome can't even store copies of your music -- it only streams them -- I can't see any reason to treat the EyeHome as another computer toward your 5 computer limit.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I use a PowerBook solely for the purpose of streaming music through iTunes Sharing and it requires registration as one of my 5 PC/Macs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    If you use Hymn to unprotect your M4Ps then it's not a problem.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    The web server is on the Mac, and as far as I know, the music is streamed to the EyeHome box from the web server located on the Mac. So, rights aren't an issue.

In any event, it works fine, and I didn't have to authorize anything to play the protected files.

EyeHome's awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by gordy

The web server is on the Mac, and as far as I know, the music is streamed to the EyeHome box from the web server located on the Mac. So, rights aren't an issue.

In any event, it works fine, and I didn't have to authorize anything to play the protected files.

EyeHome's awesome.

It's funny, I've heard so many different answers yes/no did before/doesn't now, that it's impossible to get a straight answer. If you can confirm that it works out of the box without issue playing iTMS Protected AAC's, then I'm picking one up today.

If you lie, I will find where you live

Please confirm that you have indeed played iTMS PAAC content without hack/patch etc.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I have played several iTMS tracks on EyeHome. But (there's a 'but') you have to update the EyeHome firmware, and use version 1.03 of the EyeHome software. More info is on the elgato site.