TS confirms NO iMac at WWDC

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think secret says displays will be at WWDC, but no new iMacs. They have to be soon though.

Anyways, link

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    How long will Apple let the iMac go with a slower processor than the eMac? It doesn't make sense that they would do this for a prolonged period of time.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Ah, burgleflickel

• Reply 3 of 74
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It's going to be sad if they are not announced as I was ready to pull the trigger on a 20" version. Hopefully they will throw in a iPod with a color screen to keep the poor consumers happy.

The only statement I did not agree with in the report is that the iMac would come out later in order to build momentum for the Christmas season. An announcement at the WWDC would have given time to build momentum for back to school, plus vacations (digital pics & movies).

Strategic thinking might focus on the holiday season sales, but in business the objective is sales and profits. Delaying a "hot' new product and keeping a slow seller in the line-up isn't very logical, especially when resellers are told that there will not be any imacs available for shipment for a few weeks.

If IBM is able to deliver the 90 nm G5 chips my bet is still on a summer release, even if it isn't at the WWDC. Knowing how Steve J likes to generate some excitement, I still hope for a WWDC announcement.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    the wizthe wiz Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

How long will Apple let the iMac go with a slower processor than the eMac? It doesn't make sense that they would do this for a prolonged period of time.

? - They're both 1.25GHz unless I'm missing something.

anyway, the iMac had a G4 while the iBook kept a G3 for how long, a year and a half? might be a long time for some updates
  • Reply 5 of 74
    smittysmitty Posts: 18member
    Think Secret - January 2003: No new Powerbooks
  • Reply 6 of 74
    The L2 Cache on the iMac is 256 kb while on the new eMac model it is 512 kb b/c of the new Motorola chip. So while the clock speeds of the chips are the same, they aren't the same chip.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that... not only did they not see the 12"/17" PowerBooks back then, they even got the next iBook wrong (it ended up being a 900 MHz G3).

When Apple really, truly wants to keep something a surprise, they can keep you totally in the dark right up until the announcement.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Seriously though. I put a lot of faith in Nick. So any iMac news will simply be a positive surprise from "left field." I'm buying a 12-inch PowerBook either way.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There is also a 1 Ghz 15" iMac, which is slower than the eMac. It also has a slower Superdrive, and lacks a few other features the eMac has.

Two quotes from this report bother me:
    Quote:

Employees tell us that Apple is laughing at the rumors on this one -- spearheaded by recent analyst prognostications -- and the company is loving the hype that just makes everyone want to watch WWDC even more.

Huh? I could see it being funny to Apple if people expected nothing exciting but they really had a great product to introduce. But how is it funny that Apple is going to fail to meet expectations?

Quote:

Even if reliable sources hadn't confirmed this to us, common sense says that this rumor is a bust.

How does common sense say a new iMac is a bust? It's been longer since it's been updated than any other machine in their lineup, it doesn't include much of the new technology that their other machines have. It certainly is due for an update, so it's hard to see how common sense says it's not going to be updated.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that... not only did they not see the 12"/17" PowerBooks back then, they even got the next iBook wrong (it ended up being a 900 MHz G3).

iBook speed bumps to 900MHz imminent, sources confirm
  • Reply 11 of 74
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Good points, BRussell, but I really think the big error here is this:

NEW IMACS -- NO

Sorry, but this dog just won't point. Employees tell us that Apple is laughing at the rumors on this one -- spearheaded by recent analyst prognostications -- and the company is loving the hype that just makes everyone want to watch WWDC even more.

Who the hell CAN watch WWDC unless you go there?
  • Reply 12 of 74
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    "WWDC: New Displays? Yes; New iMacs? No"

TS hath spoken.... end of.. dispite some past mistakes they are usually on the money...
  • Reply 13 of 74
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I personally don't recall TS ever being wrong when they said something definetly WASN'T coming
  • Reply 14 of 74
    So the new consumer level Mac with a G5 won't be called an iMac. So what?
  • Reply 15 of 74
    smittysmitty Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Good points, BRussell, but I really think the big error here is this:

NEW IMACS -- NO

Sorry, but this dog just won't point. Employees tell us that Apple is laughing at the rumors on this one -- spearheaded by recent analyst prognostications -- and the company is loving the hype that just makes everyone want to watch WWDC even more.

Who the hell CAN watch WWDC unless you go there?

Last year it was web cast live
  • Reply 16 of 74
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    I am in the market for a new display, so the no new iMac at WWDC is not that important to me right now. On the other hand, I think the reasons behind TS's report makes no sense at all. If I recall correctly, the very first iMac was previewed at a WWDC and, as history tells, it was an overwhelming sales hit when finally released. Since a totally redesigned iMac is a possibility, it could be an earthshuttering product as the first one. And, as other posters mentioned above, TS has no magic crystal ball or trustworthy inside info as proven by their own track record. Last, but not least, this report should also be considered a rumor, not a fact - as TS spins most reports. With 50% odds of being right, no wonder why there are so many websites claiming inside info regarding new product introduction at any given event.

So, in summary, a new iMac at WWDC is indeed a possibility, given the fact that there will be some months before Tiger is finally delivered to the public (fall season?) and I can't even imagine Apple having a new product drought before then, displays notwithstanding.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I think TS is just putting 2 and 2 together. And they've got it right.

Today's THURSDAY. As of yet, there's been no announcement of a live Satellite broadcast or Quicktime stream.

Apple would have to announce such a stream no later than tomorrow for Monday's event, which would be giving assignment editors all over the planet unnecessary grief.

And unless Jobs has decided to largely abandon the iMac for the iPod, he's not announcing a new generation of consumer products without the worldwide press tuning in. Otherwise, he be throwing away millions in free publicity.

We're not talking about Pro products like the G5 where the users are savvy enough to know when WWDC is being held. The iMac is one of the company's two signature consumer products and a major contributor to the bottom line when it clicks with consumers.

No iMac on Monday. Period. End of story.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Last year it was web cast live

My ass it was. It was after the fact. See here.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    the wizthe wiz Posts: 28member
    well it was broadcast to all the Apple stores with theaters live.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    "NEW IMACS -- NO

Sorry, but this dog just won't point. Employees tell us that Apple is laughing at the rumors on this one -- spearheaded by recent analyst prognostications -- and the company is loving the hype that just makes everyone want to watch WWDC even more. But the bottom line is this: June is too early to roll out a consumer product that needs just the right amount of momentum entering the holiday buying season. Besides, Apple is just starting to build this product in Asia, we're told."

---

1). I don't think there is a giant laughing Apple roaming the halls at Cupertino.

2). June 28th is two days shy of July so the point about rolling them out in June is moot. They could announce them and ship them a few weeks later at the end of July or even early August.

3). Do a great many people really buy these as Christmas gifts? Seems to me they would more likely buy them for the back to school season which typically begins in late August.

4). If they are building them now then an announcement is due very soon.

5). They have been wrong in the past.

Bottom line: Neither AI or TS are infallible though they may thing they are...