What those 60 gig drives are for

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just speculation here

I think that apples next product won't be a pda.

I think the next showstopper will be something along the lines of the O.Q.O

here is the link www.oqo.com

I think that a small palmtop computer with a 60 gig drive, bluetooth and 802.11g, running a full version of Tiger, would be pretty appealing.

This looks like a sweet little device and I can't imagine apple not geting in on such a amazing market.

Steve said plainly no pda, so maybe it was a little premarketing, to get this kind of device out of the shadow of palm devices.

Things seem to have been quiet lately, especially with the more modest upgrades to the g5, so hopefully something big is in the works,

so thats my prediction for whatever its worth(0), what do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Hm... no

On first glance, it appears to be a product that would find an extremely small niche... it's apparently supposed to be between $1,500-$2000 (more pics and info at below link):

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/arti...n=expand,28713

IMO, way too small to be really usable on a constant basis, and certainly not enough utility at the price point.

Cool does not always equal usable. What exactly would you use it to do?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    farmer2farmer2 Posts: 21member
    It seems like the larger ipod might be heading in this direction but without keyboard.

I thought I read that pci-express will enable new flexibility in the manufacture of graphics cards. They can be connected to with cable, pluggable modules on monitors etc. It will also enable bidirectional communication with the graphics card . The graphics card could be used as a coprocessor of some sort.

For some reason when I read kormac's predictions on QT7 I begin to wonder if apple has bigger things in mind for the ipod. Imagine being able to walk up to a monitor with video card built in and have your entire computing environment with you. Who cares about the OS, you just need something to render the video signal and get on the net to pull something from home or edit some files you just recieved.

I tend to agree with jobs when it comes to a pda. They just aren't that great as input devices. When I want to manipulate something I want a full size mouse and a big screen and I don't want to carry a laptop.

<rambling mode off>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I would not put money on that one.

I would not be surprised, however, to see an ultra light PB or iBook. 10" screen and under 3 pounds. External FireWire Combo or SuperDrive. IBM has done very well with their 3 pounder - I used one before "switching" and it was great for travel - so this is one market that Apple could do well in.

If it's an iBook it would be great for college - taking notes in lectures and going with a wireless mouse & keyboard PLUS large screen back in the dorm.

If it's a PB they the target market would be the business traveler that does not want to lug a large laptop around for basic needs like e-mail.

That is the major market gap in my opinion.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Geek toy. See Sony Clie on steroids.

A few people may have a use for this but definitely not a large market.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    the clie was a good little machine expensive yes do almost everything yes. Sony proprietary software yes

Sony software was the problem.

Hardware was good.

except for the screen to base swivel (too flimsey)

Thus it ends up as the geek toy and not the useful object.

====

I like the little apple smartphone. (unlocked)

c'mon Steve J. can't I have one?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

the clie was a good little machine expensive yes do almost everything yes. Sony proprietary software yes

Sony software was the problem.

Hardware was good.

except for the screen to base swivel (too flimsey)

Thus it ends up as the geek toy and not the useful object.

====

I like the little apple smartphone. (unlocked)

c'mon Steve J. can't I have one?

I liked the various models of Clie (the geek in me ).

My problem with stuffing so much capability into such a form factor is what it can be really useful for. I understand the capabilities that are possible with a tiny device running a full OS and applications but then there is the question of "so what?". How is such a device a leap beyond a laptop or just remotely accessing files when you are on the road? Such a device would have a price forcing it further into an already tiny niche. It is an answer in search of a question.

It seems more of a proof of concept than a useful device at this point in time. That may change and I am certain it will at some point.