Whatever Happened To The HP Version Of The iPod?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Folks,

I remember quite a few months back that Apple had agreed with HP to produce (or have HP produce) an iPod clone. At the time there was quite a bit of hulabaloo about it, along with all the rest of the rampant speculation that goes on here.

As I type this, it's late June, 2004, and Apple can't produce enough iPod Minis to satisfy demand and iPod version 4 is waiting in the wings. Did real-world events overtake this deal? Was there ever a contract between Apple and HP? Did one or the other company drop the ball so to speak? And finally, maybe HP did actually introduce their iPod and I'm the only poor sap that hasn't seen it yet...

Thanks,

-Gator

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

Folks,

I remember quite a few months back that Apple had agreed with HP to produce (or have HP produce) an iPod clone. At the time there was quite a bit of hulabaloo about it, along with all the rest of the rampant speculation that goes on here.

As I type this, it's late June, 2004, and Apple can't produce enough iPod Minis to satisfy demand and iPod version 4 is waiting in the wings. Did real-world events overtake this deal? Was there ever a contract between Apple and HP? Did one or the other company drop the ball so to speak? And finally, maybe HP did actually introduce their iPod and I'm the only poor sap that hasn't seen it yet...

Thanks,

-Gator

No, as much as I follow technology, if it was released, I would have seen it or read about it by now.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I never liked that deal anyway, although as a (minor) AAPL shareholder, I don't mind a few extra million in Apple's pocket (or whatever amount).

Just bugs the hell out of me to see a company who's slogan is "HP:innovate" to go out and license from what is allegedly a "beleaguered", "boutique", "niche", "doomed", "~4% marketshare-having" "dog of a company" like Apple

(Not that Apple doesn't license...true. But they are a bit more coy about it.)

Eff'em. I'd rather distance Apple from HP and Carly Fiorina. Let them make their own thunder and not steal ours. Just muddies Apple's brand recognition with the illiterati.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    ISTR that the hp ipod was due for 2h delivery. We arent quite there yet, but they are shipping their machines with itunes.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Eff'em. I'd rather distance Apple from HP and Carly Fiorina. Let them make their own thunder and not steal ours. Just muddies Apple's brand recognition with the illiterati.

Eh, doesn't really bother me at all. The masses all know who's behind the iPod (even if it says hPod).

Plus I think Apple could use a major PC player on it's side with Microsoft shortly about to enter the fray.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    When Apple releases their 4th generation iPod, HP will be given the go ahead. The HP iPod is based on Apple's 3rd generation iPod.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    From the January 8 press release:

Quote:

HP?s digital music player is expected to become available this summer and be competitively priced to other digital music players currently available.

Beginning this summer, the iTunes software and a desktop icon guiding users to the music site will be preloaded on HP Pavilion, Media Center and Compaq Presario desktop and notebook consumer PCs.

• Reply 7 of 7
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Current Hardware...