Tech support hell

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need suggestions, My DSL line is getting downstream speeds of 50-120 kbits when we pay for 768k, the jagdork lackey in tech support said that the router may be my problem and I need to take the router out of the loop and hardwire a computer to the modem, I ask why and he says "the router is probably bad"

Me "it is less than 7 months old, what could be going wrong with it?"

Him: "the board in it may be going out."

Me: "but the lan and wlan are flawless and fast,no sign of trouble EVER, but we did have this problem once before we got the router"

---

basically I don?t want to sort through a rats nest 2 times in a very tight place when I know that isn?t the problem.

Why is it with tech support they always ASSume that any problem is the customers fault, they ASSume that their customers don't know that when you have a connection speed issue on a home network, the most painless solution is to reboot everything.

My question:

How do I get the speed I am paying for without haveing to deal with semi-retarded tech support lackeys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

but we did have this problem once before we got the router

Humour them (or pretend to). Ask to be escalated. Be insistent, but don't get angry. Most level one tech support staff are probably glued to a script (ignored mine after day 2 in my temp tech support job )
  • Reply 2 of 14
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    yes asked to get kicked up to the next level of tech support. I once had a bad dsl modem and I had to convince 3 levels that it was bad. It would kick out after 15 min. I finally told them that it lasted 15 minutes at room temp but would go for 35 min if I left it in the freezer for 1 hour prior to startup. I then had to tell them that the problem was prob. a bad solder or chip and that when it heated up the connection broke. When cold it lasted longer.

good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Why don't you try it without the router, and see if it works.

If so, then you probably set up the router incorrectly.

Try pinging. You shouldn't be getting packet loss. If you are, then maybe there is something wrong with your router.

You might also want to connect a computer into the input side of the router in order to packet snif, and see if there are all sorts of meaningless packets flying around.

Lastly, your DSL line is 768k. If you're getting 50-120K, that sounds about right, since there are 8 bits in a byte, and 8k in a K.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

yes asked to get kicked up to the next level of tech support. I once had a bad dsl modem and I had to convince 3 levels that it was bad. It would kick out after 15 min. I finally told them that it lasted 15 minutes at room temp but would go for 35 min if I left it in the freezer for 1 hour prior to startup. I then had to tell them that the problem was prob. a bad solder or chip and that when it heated up the connection broke. When cold it lasted longer.

good luck.

The modem does run sorta hot, I hahe thought about cutting a hole in the top of the case and bolting on a 40ish mm fan
  • Reply 5 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

The modem does run sorta hot, I hahe thought about cutting a hole in the top of the case and bolting on a 40ish mm fan

Not likely a problem. Most electronics are good up to 85C. I've never seen any that can't go beyond 55C. The only people that get worked up over heat are "prosumers." (aka idiots)

I'll save the rest of the rant for another time.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Just for shitz and gigglez I unplugged the modem and router and set them on the window AC and well, I have my speed back after getting the damn things so cold that they were hard to touch

The modem was hot...interesting.....
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Just for shitz and gigglez I unplugged the modem and router and set them on the window AC and well, I have my speed back after getting the damn things so cold that they were hard to touch

The modem was hot...interesting.....

well so much for that, I ginxed it...I am getting 50killobits and 8-10 killobytes but upload is fine, like 127 k, WTF?

hunch: The modem is shot., fugisu speedport, looks and feels cheap but has worked till now.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    When you installed it the first time yourself how long did you let it set by itself on? They self configure themselves for speed. You could also try replacing the phone cord with nice stuff. Phone cord with good shielding from the jack, possibly a new jack even can sometimes make a big difference. If if it is still signal problems its the crap in your wall. Does the phone cord pass behind anything like a microwave?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    UPDATE:

After spending 1.5hrs on the phone with another lackey last night pinging everything imaginable and insisting that I run spybot and adaware so spyware isnt the problem and rewiring the router out of the loop and going modem-> desktop

he said there was nothing he could do but a network engineer will call me this morning...I am still waiting...

very seriously considering ditching verizon dsl and going for insight cable.

• Reply 10 of 14
    update: the Sr.tech never called me back so I called and asked for a supervisor/level 3/engineer and the level one said"the last guy you spoke with put a work order in so you realy dont need to talk to anyone else"

me:"well, then why did he say an engineer would call me today (Fri.) BEFORE dispatching someone here next week?"

support: "well the last guy you spoke to didn't know what he was talking about."

me: "ok, I just want the thing fixed, preferabley BEFORE monday"

him:"sorry, the soonest we can get someone out there is between monday from 9-1 or tuesday between 1-5, those are your windows"

me: "can you narrow that down, is it monday or tuesday?"

him: "could be either, depends when they get arround to it"

-----

Meanwhile, for $5 more per month, I have found that the cable service is 3mb/256kb and you actualy get the advertised speed, should I mention that in the next spar with tech support?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    UPDATE AND HAPPY ENDING

after getting a SR tech/engineer called yesterday, and after talking at length she correctly concluded that the problem was on their end, we were on a bad DSL/phone circuit, they disconnected the phone form the office and 15 min. later they called me and told me to do a release and renew on the modem to acquire a new IP lease, and BAM back up to full speed, and I got the 800 number that is a direct line to the engineers/level 2 techs!!!

tech support is GREAT once you blow through level one, which wasn?t easy, but all is well that ends well.

and the best part:

Now I can watch the Stevenote tomorrow

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

and the best part:

Now I can watch the Stevenote tomorrow

Um... do you know something we don't? There is no live broadcast and Apple has not confirmed that it will stream the keynote after the fact (although I'm guessing it probably will). I'm sticking with MacMinute's minute-based updates... although this isn't confirmed either, at least not to my knowledge.

\
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

Um... do you know something we don't? There is no live broadcast and Apple has not confirmed that it will stream the keynote after the fact (although I'm guessing it probably will). I'm sticking with MacMinute's minute-based updates... although this isn't confirmed either, at least not to my knowledge.

\

on delay...But lest something unusual happens, I will not check for the updates untill I can watch the keynote, IF my patiance can hold...
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I know for a fact that mine can't.